Best places to find 1928A1s

Are there any better places than the usual internet sites to find a decent 1928A1?

I check every day on the dealer sites, GB, Sturm, Subguns. Googling just comes up with a lot of old listings. Are there better places to look? Or do they just not come up for sale that often?

Not the West Hurley guns that are everywhere. Actual AO and Savage guns. Just a waiting game I guess.

A wait that will pay off, eventually.

Good (meaning -affordable to you) ones do show up, but the buying competition is larger than ever.

When you finally see one that is even close to what you want, just do it -right now.

You can always sell it if a better one comes around.

No great pearls of wisdom here, but opening the door of my safe tells me I'm not too far off, either.

He who hesitates -can come here and shoot my Thompsons, if he brings the ammo.

I'm looking at a parked arsenal rework. Prices seem to be going higher every month. Not to say that anything is moving. Seems like Colts and Hurleys are about he only guns listing.

I guess there is the A1 REWAT on GB for $26,500. ???

This board is probably the best place to put the word out. I know of an excellent one whose owner told me a few months ago he was thinking about selling. I just sent him an e-mail to see if he was still considering its sale. I'll let you know what I hear back.

Many TSMGs sell behind the scenes within our collector community.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I'm really not interested in a WH gun. It has to be a 1928A1 variant. A member has told me of a very nice WH gun he knows of. Already has PK work on it. It's a thought.

I'm looking for a 40's gun. Not collector grade, but not junk. I'm willing to pay a fair price, but can't go top price. I've gotten photos of an arsenal parked gun. A Savage 1928A1 with matching lower. It has a fair amount of pitting, not deep, but it's there. Has been sand blasted pretty good. All the patent numbers are gone and the rest of the roll mark info is very light. Looks like it was pretty rusty before blasting. With trade I have I could be into it for under $9000 cash. It's not pretty but would be a good shooter. I'll see about posting the pics.

You could have that one re engraved and properly refinished,it may even increase the value as its already been refinished,life is too short to shoot an ugly gun.

I too would lean towards the re-finish savage and inquire about re-stamping and proper refinish. I own a re-finished re-watt savage with non-matching lower and some pitting still present. Bought from a respected forum member here and I am fully satisfied with the purchase.

I have a WH 28 I bought NIB in 1978 . It has been to PK. It looks and runs beautifully. Smooth as silk and runs 100% even when usng Merle's .22 conversion kit. I would rather have a nice looking and running WH than than a worn and pitted redone WWII gun. FWIW

I don't mind buying a nice minty rebuilt gun, I consider an arsenal rebuild to be part of the bona-fide history of the gun.

Of course a rebuilt gun is not worth as much as a similar gun with original parts and finish, so obviously you just adjust the amount you're willing to spend.

That pitted 1928a1 is a different story, the condition is so bad that it's strictly a bargain bin item.

"Sarco hand select grade"

Edited by buzz

I am with Roscoe, keep looking and avoid this well used and abused Thompson gun. Its only value is being on the NFA Registry. I would not trade what you have straight up for it. Be patient. Good stuff will be available; it always is.

What little I know on Thompson's stay away from pits and rust for sure even on a refinish, that was pitted. since when you look at it, it will always eat at you besides the rust pit eating away at the metal. and you won't really be happy with a less grade Thompson.it took me years to upgrade, then I was done.it was proud moment to sit on 15 98% plus original's.versus 25 or so so so one's. and the military I had same deal.. so sit tight save a little more for thee right model 1928, and nota good idea to buy one then upgrade later, since if you pop $15,000.00 for something less, and a $23,000 pops up, don't think you can move the lower one as fast to pop the cash on the better one.

unless you have $50,000.00 laying around to spare. about 90% of us today don't.{frick I just took a bath in Gold in last month}on 250 ounce contract. could have bought a Colt on the loss. hey waiting for Silver and Gold to jump back ha ha.

anyhow Sit tight and wait for the right one. and just be ready to grab it. the only reason I had so many I spent like a drunken sailor on leave.in the islands. well maybe a Marine.and never looked back or forward.

and that can cost you later on. when you sell short. now just have one with it.

if I get any leads will let you know. since I am not in to it anymore I pass all leads on anyhow. having more fun with the German stuff now.

and TD is right good stuff always shows up. its on a big rental basis anyhow always has been always will be.Colt 21a /Ron

great idea then after 40 years of it you can be a burnout like me. and never want to deal with the gov again ha ha he he..oh man I needed the laugh today.

thanks karatebear..........that was a good one. hang around here we need you. the best one since Jackie Gleason.you have filled the great ones shoes.

I also like the avatar pic.. take care Colt 21a Ron