Photo

What is the average time it takes ATF to cash the tax stamp check?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Thompsonlover

Thompsonlover

• Board Benefactor
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:WWII-Uncle was in the 29th Division and landed in Normandy 11 days post D-Day(BAR Man)

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

I thought I read somewhere it usually happens a week or two after receiving your Form 4.

I also wonder how often they pick up the Form 4 applications from the post office.

Edited by Thompsonlover, 27 September 2019 - 07:01 PM.

#2 GaryKeim

GaryKeim

• Board Benefactor
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:History of warfare technology, Martin Guitars, Authentic BBQ, C&R FFL

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:51 PM

They seem to cash mine as soon as they get the form.

#3 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 05:19 PM

They waste no time in cashing your check. Mine was cashed in 3 days after receipt of my packet. 9 months for the stamp.

#4 Thompsonlover

Thompsonlover

• Board Benefactor
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:WWII-Uncle was in the 29th Division and landed in Normandy 11 days post D-Day(BAR Man)

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Guys! Does it go pending once they cash the check or when its assigned to an examiner?

I hope my wait is only 9 months!

#5 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

• Regular Group
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 04:48 AM

The "start" date is when they cash the check, then it sits in a pile for months.  After it gets assigned to an examiner, it's usually just a matter of a couple of weeks

#6 DINK

DINK

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:13 AM

The checks never even get to NFA Branch.  You mail the paperwork to Portland, Oregon, where the checks are stripped out and processed.  The paperwork is then shipped to West Virginia, where the forms are entered into the system and then left to "season" for 8 or 9 months.

Previously the checks were processed in Atlanta, GA, but I guess some senator in Oregon needed to hand out a few patronage jobs, so it got moved.

#7 Thompsonlover

Thompsonlover

• Board Benefactor
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

The checks never even get to NFA Branch.  You mail the paperwork to Portland, Oregon, where the checks are stripped out and processed.  The paperwork is then shipped to West Virginia, where the forms are entered into the system and then left to "season" for 8 or 9 months.

Previously the checks were processed in Atlanta, GA, but I guess some senator in Oregon needed to hand out a few patronage jobs, so it got moved.

Thanks for the info!

#8 NFA amnesty

NFA amnesty

• Regular Group
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:18 PM

If the two senators from Oregon were aware checks for MACHINE GUN tax stamps were being processed in Portland, they would end the practice immediately.  Trust me.

Edited by NFA amnesty, 29 September 2019 - 03:19 PM.

#9 lightguy

lightguy

• Board Benefactor
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Cars, coins, pinball, movie posters

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:26 PM

When visiting for the NFA people I get the vibe that I am the one that needs to answer to the law and not themselves.

Edited by lightguy, 21 October 2019 - 11:29 PM.