Is inventory drying up? (Seeing Limited NFA items on traditional Sale

Over the lost couple of days, I noticed that the traditional sites where one looks for firearms, (Gunbroker, Sturmgehwer, Pennsylvania Gun Owners Association, CMP, etc), have been looking a little bear and thread worn. What's up? Particularly in the NFA world?

I was looking for a Keystone Crickett for my granddaughter and there are only a few available. As I go over the NFA listing online or with Ruben or David Spiwak not much but MACs. Anything Remington, prices are going crazy/

Questions for discussion:

- Are the auction houses sucking up the NFA sales, as sellers see big $$$s for the sales through them?

- More private sales, between folks. The good stuff never makes it to the postings?

- Not a lot of Thompsons, MP-40s, S&W 76s, or even STENs. Lot of MACs, and UZIs.

- It appears that beltfeds are a slow mover as they appear to make it to the boards a little more but not in the numbers like we use to see. No MG-34s or 42s.

- Lots of Dealer Samples on Gunbroker, I don't see those as retail sales

- On the flip side, the prices on www.machinegunpriceguide.com appear to be falling?

Confusing market - Confusing world

Paul

Good question!

All anecdotal of course, but a lot of stuff is sold between private parties even on gunbroker. I've sold several high dollar items on there and negotiated directly with buyers bypassing the auction.

The last two guns, one at auction and the other private thru an email exchange over a tripod on GB I ended up with another MG34, on top of the one at auction I bought recently. They were both priced at or below subgun levels so I could not pass them up. I couldn't write the checks fast enough. Several MG42's have been for sale in the past couple months at all venues, but prices are up there narrowing the buyer pool.

Not sure the sellers are doing that well at auction houses? I know of one seller that lost money after owning the gun for 15 years after commissions. A number of guns never make reserve prices. It is pressing the easy button for a seller though. Dealers.....well who is selling for "wholesale" right now with buyers grabbing up stuff for retail+?

Machinegun price guide is essentially worthless. The data points seem to be asking prices on sturm which, as you point out have slimmed down.

Dealer samples.....generally out of my area since I only have one and it hasn't budged in value in 15 years obviously due to lack of demand?

I sold a Remington made browning 1940's auto 5 for 800+ recently. I personally thought it would be tough to sell over $275? Clearly I knew nothing about that market, but IMO it wlll be back down at some point in the future.

Really nice and rare guns are hiding in collection since they are not generally replaceable if one were to sell. I did sell one recently, but only because I have 2 more just as nice, but they are 2 of less than 10 in the country. Brought a record price AFAIK.....or I would not have sold it.

Stuff Ive sold recently was sold in 2-7 days. Full price or higher

Inventory is just moving fast. Theres tons of FA on GB thats 50-100% over priced. $23,000 uzis. $20,000 sten lanchester. Think I saw a $14,000 sten.

No one wanted my s&w76. Its going to Morphys. Got a locked in minimum that if it doesnt reach the gun doesnt sell.

Plenty of Thompsons out there.

I think the machine gun price guide is fake. A shill for the big dealers. Their prices are off the charts bad. Ive given him my buy and sell prices many times. He thanks me and the numbers never show up on his charts. There is no reality in the charts imo

Edited by huggytree