WHPD Thompson M1

The Army XXX'd out the A1 when they sold the guns to the Police departments. The M1A1 has the fixed firing pin and could slam fire if not released properly. The M1 has the free floating firing pin and was "safer" for Police and civilians. My M1A1 was XXX'd when sold to the B&O Police.
Not sure of the WHPD markings, could be West Haven, CT.

Edited by full auto 45

The auction states "Currently on a Form 4. Can only be transferred to a Class III approved dealer in the buyer’s home state". That's not quite true is it? You can ship it to a C&R holder directly as I recall.

Edited by Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

If the seller wants to know what WHPD. I’d suggest calling departments that have WH.

That’s what we did on an M1 TSMG. It had the PD initials stamped on the top of the receiver just in front of the rear sight.

We were able to get a Sargent that was in charge of the department’s armory. He verified the weapon as have had been in their inventory at one time. It took a lot of researching to get there. This was 25 years ago.

We’ve had several PD transferable TSMGs that we’ve done a FOIA request on. You’ll be lucky if the department identified is not blacked out. A Form 5 is the most likely identifiable link to a LE transfer from a military installation. That’s usually where we’ve seen the first entry of the weapon in the NFRTR.

Edited by fifthmdec

If the seller wants to know what WHPD. Id suggest calling departments that have WH.

Thats what we did on an M1 TSMG. It had the PD initials stamped on the top of the receiver just in front of the rear sight.

We were able to get a Sargent that was in charge of the departments armory. He verified the weapon as have had been in their inventory at one time. It took a lot of researching to get there. This was 25 years ago.

Weve had several PD transferable TSMGs that weve done a FOIA request on. Youll be lucky if the department identified is not blacked out. A Form 5 is the most likely identifiable link to a LE transfer from a military installation. Thats usually where weve seen the first entry of the weapon in the NFRTR.

I traced a GI Savage M1A1 back through three Form 3 dealer transfers but came to a end when last dealer would not respond to my inquiry. The last dealer had gotten it out of a LE Agency in the early 1980s after initial Form 5 in 1966.

The dealer of my 28A1 said it came from the Nashville Metropolitan PD. I contacted the P. D. and a training section officer said my Thompson was not one of the Thompsons sold by the agency to the dealer. When I contacted the dealer again I was told he had too many transaction to look my gun up in his bound books even though I had the transfer dates. Initial transfer was one of three guns on a Form 5 in 1959.

I dont believe as many names or locations get missed in the more recent FOIA redactions as when they were done with sharpies. I suppose an owner could do a FOIA yearly hoping for some redaction mistakes.

We have 3 pending FOIA requests pending since 8/20. If theres some information that was poorly redacted, that is a benefit to the current owner. Weve had a few that they missed some information completely.

Yes, the redacted information can be frustrating, but its still worth the effort.

Weve actually been lucky to receive all of the original or copies of non redacted forms from some sellers.

Lots of TSMGs were transferred out of military surplus in the 1950s. So it seems in our experience and others along the same lines.

Regardless, I think that its worth the effort. Have some fun with it...

Its the sellers choice if he or she wants to transfer direct to C&R. Just because it can be done....doesnt mean it has to be done. Thats called bid accordingly

For the record, I own the Thompson M1 currently on Gunbroker. I am the individual owner and not a dealer so unfortunately I'm not quite as knowledgeable about transfers as many on here. As the add states, the gun is on a form 4 to my trust and I was under the impression that it could only be transferred on a form 4. I would transfer it to a C&R but to be perfectly honest, I've never done one and didn't know the details involved, but would be grateful if someone can educate me on the process. However, It was purchased through Rock Island Auctions six years ago and I had to look up their original description to realize that it qualified for a C&R. Its also helpful to hear the details about the A1 XX-out. I will say that it's an awesome gun and to be honest I hate to see it go. Just ran it two months ago and it works flawlessly. I've never had a jam or misfire since I've owned it.

Edited by Lazyace

Its the sellers choice if he or she wants to transfer direct to C&R. Just because it can be done....doesnt mean it has to be done. Thats called bid accordingly

For the record, I own the Thompson M1 currently on Gunbroker. I am the individual owner and not a dealer so unfortunately I'm not quite as knowledgeable about transfers as many on here. As the add states, the gun is on a form 4 to my trust and I was under the impression that it could only be transferred on a form 4. I would transfer it to a C&R but to be perfectly honest, I've never done one and didn't know the details involved, but would be grateful if someone can educate me on the process. However, It was purchased through Rock Island Auctions six years ago and I had to look up their original description to realize that it qualified for a C&R. Its also helpful to hear the details about the A1 XX-out. I will say that it's an awesome gun and to be honest I hate to see it go. Just ran it two months ago and it works flawlessly. I've never had a jam or misfire since I've owned it.

Welcome and thanks for the info. So can you tell us what the WHPD indicates?

• Upvote 2

Here is a video of me shooting the Thompson M1 in this thread. I typically just shoot bursts to limit the wear on the barrel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7bpls99tl9h9xg/Shooting%20the%20Thompson%20M1.mp4?dl=0

Edited by Lazyace

I can't say for sure. Never researched it. I thought either West Hartford or West Haven, CT or Winter Haven FL.

Welcome and thanks for the info. So can you tell us what the WHPD indicates?

Westing House. it was used to guard a warehouse of spare Colt 21 parts back around 1985... Sarco took over and sold it all. somebody buy the gun and make the guy happy. Like #274 I sold with Comp marked Made in France.

nobody cared. they bought the Colt.R.K.

post-504-0-79584700-1615841414_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Westing House. it was used to guard a warehouse of spare Colt 21 parts back around 1985... Sarco took over and sold it all. somebody buy the gun and make the guy happy. Like #274 I sold with Comp marked Made in France.

nobody cared. they bought the Colt.R.K.

Thank you! Sounds like the mystery is solved.