Jump Cases Aka Griswold Bag

All,

I can't remember jump cases discussed previously. Lets see what info can be shared.

On page 109 in Mark G Goodmans book,--"US Infantry Weapons in Combat" the jump cases are referred to as Griswold bags. News to me, but if its OK with Arthur , its OK with me.

The cases pictured below were originally intended for the US Rifle cal 30 M1. Intended to be stored in take down condition. At a later time, don't know when, parachute riggers added an extension for the M1 carbine, full length.

Anyone who watched the movie "Objective Burma", staring Errol Flynn, will remember the troopers taking the 28A1 Tommy guns out of these cases ind installing the buttstock. Respected Ron should remember this..

For illustration purposes I have covered the extensions with a towel so you can see how they looked before and after.

As originally made the cases would work with the US M1 Rifle -disassembled-, M1928A1 TSMG- disassemled-, and US M1 TSMG assembled.

As modified with extension the cases would work with all firearms pictured. Since I don't know when the extensions were done, I can't be sure if the TSMG and Reising were still being issued. Perhaps someone here can shed some light.

IMG_1601_1_1.JPG

IMG_1602_1.JPGIMG_1603_1.JPGIMG_1610_1.JPGIMG_1609_1.JPGIMG_1605_1.JPGIMG_1608_1.JPG

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the info Jim, now I need to find a couple for my M1 and 28.

Are these cases rare? I have one for my M1D, but have never noticed one

suitable for a Thompson.

I'll have to contact Hayes to see if he has any.

I'm starting to get a bug to get an original M2 carbine and M14 to round

out my collection.

-Darryl

Darryl,

They are scarcer that hen teeth.

If you have American Rifleman magazines from the late 70's you may find an add by Ruvel Co, in Illinois for the carbine jump cases for around $8.00. I bought a dozen of them and haven't seen any since. Had a nice carbine collection back then.

Jim C

Jim,

the modification you are asking about. they where not standard. they where done by the Paratrooper Riggers. that is why most of the time you will not see the material match in color. as far as the thompsons being used in the jump cases above yes they where BUT from what i have been told is that a lot of troopers liked to jump with the thompson in hand loaded and have 1 or 2 clips in there pockets to shoot back. or i have heard the troopers put the parachute on sling the thompson with a stick magazine in it and sinch the belly band around the thompson so that it would hold it in the slung position. ( i think i have a picture of this in a re-enactment ). also there is one more case i think is just a tad longer that is for the 1903 sniper. there is no way to really tell when the modifications are done. i would say starting in late 43 on the modifications where started.

Oh and dont forget about the folding stock carbine jump case to. the original cases that are pictured above are super rare but do show up on ebay now and then. there are a few people that make reproduction cases. i cn list them if you would like.

Ryan

Here is one of the most famous WWII D-Day images of a paratrooper and his Thompson embarking onto his C-47 the night of June 5th. Nice detail on how he is carrying his M1 Thompson. The second photo is also from D-Day a 101st stick outside their Dakota the troop on the left has his Thompson attached in a different way. The Griswald Bags were not liked especially after D-Day because of the difficulty the troops had assembling their rifles under fire (sometimes) in the dark. The first bags were made for the M1 Garand, unassembled, and the Thompson would also fit in this one with the stock removed. The paras had this model modified by the riggers with an extention so they did not have to break down the rifles or Tommys to pack them. There was also a Thompson drop case made to hold a 1928A1 with the stock removed. This model is shown in the third photo.

paratrooper-en-route-for-normandy-001.jpg

Normandy458.jpg

tommycase1.JPG

• Upvote 2

All,

I can't remember jump cases discussed previously. Lets see what info can be shared.

On page 109 in Mark G Goodmans book,--"US Infantry Weapons in Combat" the jump cases are referred to as Griswold bags. News to me, but if its OK with Arthur , its OK with me.

The cases pictured below were originally intended for the US Rifle cal 30 M1. Intended to be stored in take down condition. At a later time, don't know when, parachute riggers added an extension for the M1 carbine, full length.

Anyone who watched the movie "Objective Burma", staring Errol Flynn, will remember the troopers taking the 28A1 Tommy guns out of these cases ind installing the buttstock. Respected Ron should remember this..

For illustration purposes I have covered the extensions with a towel so you can see how they looked before and after.

As originally made the cases would work with the US M1 Rifle -disassembled-, M1928A1 TSMG- disassemled-, and US M1 TSMG assembled.

As modified with extension the cases would work with all firearms pictured. Since I don't know when the extensions were done, I can't be sure if the TSMG and Reising were still being issued. Perhaps someone here can shed some light.

IMG_1601_1_1.JPG

IMG_1602_1.JPGIMG_1603_1.JPGIMG_1610_1.JPGIMG_1609_1.JPGIMG_1605_1.JPGIMG_1608_1.JPG

Does anyone know of anyone making a reproduction of the "rigger" modified Griswold bag that Jim c 351 has in the bottom row of his photos? The Griswold bag that is pictured with a 1928 Thompson, M1 Carbine and Reising Model 50 SMG laying on it?

TW56

Stgw. 57,

I am not knocking ww2 impressions by any means. They make really good items. I have a there m42 jump uniform. Top quality stuff. I just want to make it clear I am not putting them down by any means. Sorry if it sounded like it.

Edited by WeaponsSgt

thanks for everyones reply.

I looked at their web page. They make the bag for a M1 Rifle taken down, and the modified bag for a M1 Rifle left assembled.

The bag Jim C 351 has appears to be a rigger modified one between those two sizes. I think a 1928A1 Thompson would "swim in" the modified bag for a full length M1 rifle and I don't believe the Cutts compensator on the 28A1 would let it fit in the unmodified M1 rifle take down bag.

Maybe I am viewing the Jim C 351 pictures and description wrong?

Jim C 351, would you be able to post the overall length of your bag including the modified extension portion.

Ross

I looked at their web page. They make the bag for a M1 Rifle taken down, and the modified bag for a M1 Rifle left assembled.

The bag Jim C 351 has appears to be a rigger modified one between those two sizes. I think a 1928A1 Thompson would "swim in" the modified bag for a full length M1 rifle and I don't believe the Cutts compensator on the 28A1 would let it fit in the unmodified M1 rifle take down bag.

Jim C 351, would you be able to post the overall length of your bag including the modified extension portion.

Ross

Ross,

I do not understand how you can be confused. The pictures speak for themselves. The US CARBINE cal 30 M1 is approx 36 inches long and my case is made long enough to accommodate that length.

The US RIFLE cal 30 M1 is 6 to 8 inches longer than the CARBINE. The jump cases that I have that accommodate a 44 inch rifle were made in the 60s and are frequently seen at gun shows at reasonable prices.

Jim C

thanks for everyones reply. I looked at their web page. They make the bag for a M1 Rifle taken down, and the modified bag for a M1 Rifle left assembled. The bag Jim C 351 has appears to be a rigger modified one between those two sizes. I think a 1928A1 Thompson would "swim in" the modified bag for a full length M1 rifle and I don't believe the Cutts compensator on the 28A1 would let it fit in the unmodified M1 rifle take down bag. Maybe I am viewing the Jim C 351 pictures and description wrong? Jim C 351, would you be able to post the overall length of your bag including the modified extension portion. Ross
Ross, I do not understand how you can be confused. The pictures speak for themselves. The US CARBINE cal 30 M1 is approx 36 inches long and my case is made long enough to accommodate that length. The US RIFLE cal 30 M1 is 6 to 8 inches longer than the CARBINE. The jump cases that I have that accommodate a 44 inch rifle were made in the 60s and are frequently seen at gun shows at reasonable prices. Jim C

Well the pictures do speak, as the last row of pictures shows a modified bag that is able to take a M1 Carbine assembled, a 1928A1 Thompson with buttstock attached or a Reising Model 50 assembled, but it appears your modified bag pictured would not allow an assembled full length M1 rifle to fit as you do not have an assemble M1 rifle laying on top of the modified bag.

I will look for an original or a reproduction modified bag that will take an assembled M1 Carbine but not accept an assemble M1 rifle. From you last row of photos that do not have the towel covering the extension, it appears to me at that the extension on your bag is shorter than the extension on the reproduction bags available at WWIIimpressions as their modified bag will accept a assemble M1 rifle..

I own several Vietnam war era dated parachutist cases. The ones I own are 50" long. Assembled M1 and M14 rifles fit in my bags. My bags all have the following on them.

case, parachustist individual weapons

M1950 adjustable

FSN 8465 261 4995

DSA 100 68c

Thanks for the replies.

Ross

Sorry Weapons Sgt.! That was not was I was reading into your post! I just wanted to let it be known that doing business with Juan at WWiiimpressions is good to go! Please bear in mind that I'm from the other side of the big pond....so my engrish might not always be the best and it can lead to confusion!!! ;-)

Stgw. 57,

I am not knocking ww2 impressions by any means. They make really good items. I have a there m42 jump uniform. Top quality stuff. I just want to make it clear I am not putting them down by any means. Sorry if it sounded like it.

Ross

I have a second pattern, unmodified, Griswold bag from wwiiimpressions and as you say, it does not fit the M1928A1, no problem for my M1 and my M1A1 Thompsons, but the Cutts compensator does not fit in. In about three weeks time I should have a rugger modified Griswold from WWiiimpressions, then I can tell you how much "swim" there is when you put an M1928A1 in it.

The problem here is that there are mainly three " lengths" of bags , standard , short extended , and long extended . wwiiimpressions only list the first and the last.

The patterns of bags refer to thier unmodified construction , mainly pull cord closure ( shows modified to lift-the-dots ) vs. zipper closer.

Hope this clears it up.

Chris