Anybody Want To Be In A Movie?

I was contacted byDarkstone Entertainment with a request for a blank firing thompson to use in a movie they are going to make. They are filming in Virginia. I said I'd ask for any interested thompson owners who might be willing to bring a gun (blank firing) to use. I gave them a brief explaination of the NFA rules and the fact that somebody wouldn't just be able to LOAN them a gun without being there with the gun. I don't know what all might be on the table, but figured maybe a local dealer or somebody might be interested enough to talk to them. Might be a chance to ensure that realistic thompson use is portrayed. They appear to be fantasy horror type film makers.

Email me if you are interested and I'll give you the contact information.

Dan

It is not blanked, but would be willing to lend it (and myself) to be in a movie. This could be my big break. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

As long as they use a big backstop, we shouldn't need to use a blank Thompson. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif And with today's editing, you should be able to shoot on the range, edit and merge it into the movie.http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Never, Never, Never would I lend or allow my TSMG to be used by a film company. I just read a story about a guy who loaned his antique car to a film, and they trashed it. They paid for it, but it was basically destroyed.

Dan, This must be a very small film production as the larger ones will have all their gun rentals done by other more professional methods, rather than by asking around. I've worked on quite a few films and TV shows, (shamless plug here... I can currently be seen in "Last Holiday" w/ Queen Latifa, and in a month on the new FX series "Thief"),and I would also offer the advise of NOT lending out an expensive collectable gun such as a Thompson for them to use or missuse, it just would not be worth it. I would also not be surprised if you would receive very little money for letting them use it, let alone if it is a union film there would be a prop/effects man that would have to do the blanking. As Alfoso Bedoya's character warned to Gregory Peck in "The Big Country" before Peck tried to ride the wild stallion...."Doan du eitt"! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cop.gif

Mike Hammer

Even if this was a low budget film, I think they could afford to buy one of the Japanese replica Tommys. That and a handful of cartridges and the proper caps, they would be ready to go.

Add in the gun shots in editing, and there would be no worries about NFA or modifying a collectable into a blank. Just my 2 cents... KJ

Got another email from them with a few questions answered, filming starts march 12 and will need two days of thompson firing. I agree with the cautions of snipershot, but if I lived nearby, I think it would be great fun to take one of my post samples over for two days.

Dan

Our Texas reenactments group has participated in a number of TV shoots, most recently for Tales of the Gun--Gangster Guns of the 20's and 30's, and a Weird US episode in 2005 on Crime and Punishment. You hang around for a day, do some shooting, then pretty much get edited out. But when it comes out on TV, you tell all your friends, record it, and then keep playing it back to see your 4 seconds of fame. Nobody knows it's you unless you point it out to them, but YOU do, and there you are, you and your Thompson on national TV. It's not a money-making experience, but it lets you feel like a somebody for a day, hanging around a set. Then, you get over it. Kind of like shooting a Thompson, you do it once, and then you never... Oh, well, maybe not exactly like shooting a Thompson.

QUOTE (snipershot1944 @ Feb 19 2006, 09:05 PM)
Never, Never, Never would I lend or allow my TSMG to be used by a film company. I just read a story about a guy who loaned his antique car to a film, and they trashed it. They paid for it, but it was basically destroyed.

I agree 100% with this. I have worked on several film projects, from TV to big-budget movies. You've seen me on TV or DVD, trust me on that. I'd just have to freeze-frame and point myself out to you, but if you've seen any military-themed historical movies made after about 1988, I've probably been in at least one film you've seen. The reason I write all that is to explain how I know this, but you should absolutely never ever ever loan anything to a movie company that you want back in any way. I've seen movies companies paint over original wooden WW2 ammo crates to a color the lighting people thinks looks better, and even seen vehicles re-painted. The owners know nothing of this, of course, until they come back for their stuff, and the knucklehead who did it had long since left the set. And there's not thing one you can do about it in most cases. A buddy of mine who worked on, "The Rocketeer," told me that the car that gets shot up with the Thompson at the beginning was from a private collection, and it was returned with the holes in it, and painted a totally different color! And this car was a car-show contender before they got their hands on it!

I have done a couple of deals for the History Channel (Pacific War-The Lost Evidence) and have to say that the smaller production companies seem to be better to work for. They might not pay very much but you have a better chance of being seen and you have more control over your equipment. I have a friend who works in the movie industry and he has seen some of the same horror stories mentioned here.

BTW, all the TSMG stuff seen on the above program is yours truly. The crew should be back this spring to finish the series.

I agree 100% with p51 on this, I worked on the set of the Halmark Hall of Fame movie, Decoration Day and watched as they slamdunked an original BAR into the ground even though they had a dummy available to drop. The BAR never quite was the same.

Jay

Don't call us, we'll call you. The cost of my service exceeded their budget paramenters. But, he'll keep me in mind for future projects...uh, yeah. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif