How long were Bridgeport L drums produced?

I am in the process of getting a Bridgeport L drum that I found for $650. I would like to know a little bit of history on these if you all have any. I am planning on purchasing a couple of thompson books down the road but right now I am spending all of my cash on thompson parts so I don't have any history available to me.

How long were the bridgeport L drums made and is there any significant history about them that I should know? Thanks.

I'm not sure about the production numbers and dates, but from what I here the Bridgeport L drum is the highest quality drum that was made for the Thompsons, EXCEPT for the original Colt drums. I could be wrong.

Nevertheless, you've got a good qulity drum. $650 is not a bad price to pay either.

Norm

If the drum has a Bridgeport, CT address it should also have the Thompson bullet logo stamped on the front cover below the winding key and the inscription "Wind to 9 or 11 Clicks" below that.

Bridegport marked drums are essentially WWII production drums and production ended with the introduction of the M1 series of Thompsons in about 1943.

Auto-Ordnance opened their own production facility in Bridegport, Ct in 1941 and the address change from New York, N.Y. became effective then. The drums, however, were made by United Specialties, Co. of Chicago and should also have a "U" stamped on the front and rear cover slides.

$650.00 is a good price to pay for an original WWII drum depending on condition. Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys! Im glad I found a reasonably priced bridgeport drum. It was advertised in excellent condition with no dents, scratches, etc and a very even finish. I should be receiving it in a week or so, hopefully it is as advertised.