Thompson Article in NRA's American Rifleman

I saw this article in The NRA's American Rifleman today:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/4/17/a-look-back-at-the-thompson-submachine-gun/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0419

Interesting to me as I have always considered the NRA as anti-class 3 per the statements made over the years. Here is the scoop off the 21A in the photos:

6040 21 A John Meunier Gun Corp. 272 W. Water St. Milwaukee, Wisconsin (1 of 7)

(1 Shipped 12/21/29) (Amnesty registered 1968)

* George A. Whitehead Portland, Oregon 1968 98%

Note: Now at the National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia 9/05

(See: Index Section, Whitehead, George A.)

WHITEHEAD, GEORGE A. Portland, Oregon

This Thompson originated with a small police department in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area.

In 1968, it found its way to Portland, Oregon and to Mr. Whitehead through a neighbor. It showed little or no use. Mr. Whitehead never fired this Thompson. Amnesty registered on Form- 4467 in November, 1968

Mr. Whitehead donated this Thompson to the NRA "National Firearms Museum" of Fairfax, Virginia in September of 2005. (See No. 6040)

(Note: George A. Whitehead passed away in Victoria, B.C., at 0300 on December 14, 2007. He was my dear friend)

These are notes from a CD that GH gave me some time back.

What a beautiful 21A.

Edited by firearm

Beautiful 21A!!!

However, they do need to get some spelling and information correct in their article:

"The Model 1928 reduced the firing rate from an uncontrollable 1,500 rpm to an easier to handle and more effective rate of 830 rpm. These slower rate-of-fire Thompsons ditched the Bish-type dissimilar metal, delayed-blowback operation in favor of a straight blowback."

Andrew

I saw this article in The NRA's American Rifleman today:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/4/17/a-look-back-at-the-thompson-submachine-gun/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0419

Interesting to me as I have always considered the NRA as anti-class 3 per the statements made over the years. Here is the scoop off the 21A in the photos:

6040 21 A John Meunier Gun Corp. 272 W. Water St. Milwaukee, Wisconsin (1 of 7)

(1 Shipped 12/21/29) (Amnesty registered 1968)

* George A. Whitehead Portland, Oregon 1968 98%

Note: Now at the National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Virginia 9/05

(See: Index Section, Whitehead, George A.)

WHITEHEAD, GEORGE A. Portland, Oregon

This Thompson originated with a small police department in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area.

In 1968, it found its way to Portland, Oregon and to Mr. Whitehead through a neighbor. It showed little or no use. Mr. Whitehead never fired this Thompson. Amnesty registered on Form- 4467 in November, 1968

Mr. Whitehead donated this Thompson to the NRA "National Firearms Museum" of Fairfax, Virginia in September of 2005. (See No. 6040)

(Note: George A. Whitehead passed away in Victoria, B.C., at 0300 on December 14, 2007. He was my dear friend)

These are notes from a CD that GH gave me some time back.

What a beautiful 21A.

I noticed they glossed over what happened in 1986....was not the finest moment for the NRA as they made us the sacrificial lamb in my opinion.

Your are right about that. The NRA is not your friend in the Class 3 world. I was reading article the other day that stated they are in big financial trouble. Something like 30 million in the red right now. That doesn't include the retirement fund which is 60 million in the red. All the while, Wayne Lapierre is raking in 1.4 million a year in salary.

...and there's still the open question as to whether or not they laundered Russian money in their contributions to the Trump campaign.

If you can show us the NRA fought for our NFA rights in 1986, I will apologize to everyone on the board. Unfortunately it is a done deal and we can't change history, but sure wish they had not thrown us out with the bath water to get part of the legislation they liked in the bill passed and signed by my favorite President, Ronald Reagan.

I assume you are being funny about the laundered Russian money and Trump campaign unless you work for MSNBC.

Edited by NFA amnesty

I'm dead serious about the Russian money issue. We know that there was Russian money in the NRA. We know that the NRA gave unprecedented amounts of money, money which apparently they did not have, to the Trump campaign. What we do not know is whether their internal accounting practices actually kept the two separate. Since money is by definition fungible we may never be able to know. Ms. Butina might be able to shed some light but at last count she wasn't talking; she knows that if she talks she's a dead devka.

I'm dead serious about the Russian money issue. We know that there was Russian money in the NRA. We know that the NRA gave unprecedented amounts of money, money which apparently they did not have, to the Trump campaign. What we do not know is whether their internal accounting practices actually kept the two separate. Since money is by definition fungible we may never be able to know. Ms. Butina might be able to shed some light but at last count she wasn't talking; she knows that if she talks she's a dead devka.

You must be a subscriber to the drivel produced by The Center for American Progress whose founder is John Podesta and whose CEO is HRC's minion Neera Tanden. The information you are relying on no doubt came from their December, 2018 article "Following the Money: Trump and Russia-Linked Transactions From The Campaign to the Presidential Inaugeration.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/democracy/reports/2018/12/17/464235/following-the-money/

The Trump Truthers are still peddling this conspiracy long after the subsequent release of the Mueller Report debunked this manure spreading from the collective infertile brains of Brennan/Clapper/Comey/Yates/Rice

• Upvote 1

It is sad that a gun owner would support bashing the only organization strong enough to help lobby. Yes other orgs are trying, yes the NRA is not perfect and needs a house cleaning, but it is the only strong viable option.

It feels good displaying machine guns at their annual convention.

Ron

Its hard to believe that any gun owner with half a brain would believe that commie crap.

John Podesta, there 's a real America for you. I'll bet the people who believe' s his crap had to have voted for Hillary.

Jim C

Edited by jim c 351

firearm, on 26 Apr 2019 - 09:15, said:

Your are right about that. The NRA is not your friend in the Class 3 world. I was reading article the other day that stated they are in big financial trouble. Something like 30 million in the red right now. That doesn't include the retirement fund which is 60 million in the red. All the while, Wayne Lapierre is raking in 1.4 million a year in salary.

LaPierre has done more damage than good to the organization and if he continues to be the King it will only get worse.

Looks like King Wayne beheaded prince Ollie for the attempted coup. Course the castle is still in flames since Wayne recommended to Trump to ban the bump stocks, even though many peasants were persuaded Trump did this all on his own. Sort of like Reagan got the idea to ban MG's all on his own? It appears some peasants found out that bump stocks burn better than hay and are throwing them inside Wayne's castle.

Looks like King Wayne beheaded prince Ollie for the attempted coup. Course the castle is still in flames since Wayne recommended to Trump to ban the bump stocks, even though many peasants were persuaded Trump did this all on his own. Sort of like Reagan got the idea to ban MG's all on his own? It appears some peasants found out that bump stocks burn better than hay and are throwing them inside Wayne's castle.

Reagan was reluctant to sign the legislation but King Wayne promised Reagan if he would sign that legislation the NRA would fight it after it became law, anyone remember any post 86 efforts by the NRA to do so? I sure don't.

While I do not normally care for the Huff Post, this article is bang on target when it comes to the NRA and it's history with MG owners.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-nras-flip-flop-on-mac_b_2741689

2013-02-22-monitormachinegunbanfrontpage.jpg

firearm, on 26 Apr 2019 - 09:15, said:

LaPierre has done more damage than good to the organization and if he continues to be the King it will only get worse.

Roscoe,

I agree completely. He is one of the reasons that I resigned my life membership. There are a lot of gun owners who are politically moderate to progressive. When the NRA’s sole political concern was Second Amendment rights, they found some constituency there. But LaPierre built linkages with other groups on the political right that promoted issues many of which are anathema to these people. That, combined with his incredibly divisive bunker-mentality rhetoric and his totally inappropriate and tone-deaf responses to incidents of gun violence have turned people who were once neutral or in many cases potential supporters into opponents of the NRA. Rather than “preaching to the choir” he needed to be making converts to the cause; he has not done so.

• Upvote 1

FWIW; I have seen the actions of the NRA here on a state level at the General Assembly. We (www.GRNC.org) spend a lot of time in countering their "access" to Legicritters and ratings vs. the real problems their political "ratings", messing with legislation changes and approvals for bills actually do for a NO COMPROMISE organization with dedicated 2A volunteers. I joined the NRA back in the 70's when they were the only kid on the block. Politics for the NRA on 2A bills SUCKS for gun owners in this state; North Carolina. I have spent a LOT of hours in committee meetings, chasing legicritters and reading bills since the mid-1990s and getting these changed for real 2A protection. Their NRA state reps have multi-state assignments, how can they possibly know any state well with the turnover they experience? The statement they caved in 1934 and 1986 is correct. Gun owners are to apathetic, "I pay my dues to the NRA" and expect them to deliver... They will NOT deliver and cannot based on their access model and true knowledge of what a bill does once it is passed. Now if gun owners got their support like the anti-guns do from the all medias bullshit then it might be different. I give $$$ to causes that work and NRA is not one of them for bettering 2A like GRNC, GOA etc. do. Gun owners are being set up by the main stream media, and apathy will continue to take it's toll already has and will. Edited by Vettom

• 2 weeks later...