Ceiner 22 Thompson Conversion

Was perusing the June 1 Shotgun News and ran across Ceiners full page add and this time noticed for the first time, which doesn't make it news at all, they have a .22 conversion for original THompson's. Now I doubt this means only the first Colts and I have a WH 1928 and I don't want to start a discussion on whether the WH is an original or not but if anyone has any experience with this conversion please drop a line on how you feel about it. For myself I have a real weak spot for 22 conversion kits and my M-16 kit works great.

Give me your toughts- I understand the Thompson 22's were a bit problematic-kinda liek the Fleming Mp5 kits which I wish I had a kit for but do not.

Mark

I too saw the SGN ad was wondering why there was no recent input on these conversion kist on this forum. I THINK the initial report was so poor that most of the Thompson fanatics just did not buy one. Any other thoughts from anyone?

Just a brief note....

Saw Ceiner demo these at Knob Creek two years ago. Ran well in a Savage 28 and I think he tried it in a Hurley also.

I understand they need a bit of tinkering to get them to work right, but then they work well.

Three problems I have with these.

1) Cost. $500 bucks for a conversion kit can buy a whole lot of ammo.

2) ten round mags just don't make for much fun in my book.....one little burp and yer done. (and they are not thirty rounders as the ad is misleading....read small print. They are a ten round insert installed in a thirty round body. Fed. law is Fed. law!!

3) JA Ceiner was his usual self to me. I was alone at his table and after two minutes he looked up from the magazine he was reading and said "So, what do you want"?

I said I had a couple questions about his '28 conversion kit (I had my '28 slung on my shoulder and was hoping he'd demo an install and show me how the thing worked).

He said "I don't have time for questions. Buy the kit and the instructions will tell you everything you need to know".

He then went back to his reading.

I don't deal with assholes, no matter how bad I'm interested in their products.

I guess we both lost here, because I had a pocket full of hundreds and was seriously thinking about buying one of these. He could have (with just MINOR people and sales skill) sold me one on the spot.

Maybe I'll wait until the Ban sunsets and see if someone else starts making them.....if not, I still enjoy shooting .45!!!

john http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Thank you Phil and John.

Phil,

I will do as you suggest and see what has already been said- For some silly reason I thought this conversion was relatively new and from what John said this is not the case. Look forward to learning more about your 9mm conversion idea, nothing against 45, I just have more 9mm laying about at the momnet but that can easily be changed.

John,

JAC has not changed a bit and obviously never will- pity, its just a shame as he has shown some talent with conversions.

Mark

john; I want one also, with the big mag or drum...........If you ever decide to do it, I want to do it with you. Keep me informed after 18 Sep.......jw

I first meet JAC at the TCA show in Ohio 2 or 3 years ago. What a arrogant ass. Tracie Hill had him install a kit in his 1921 pony gun and it took almost a week before it ran right. But 10 rounds sounds like a wet fart in that gun. I tried to talk to JAC at the creek and at Tracies house during the show. And he is just too important to talk to common people, at least he thinks so. I personnally would not own one of his kits just for the simple fact that he built it and it has to be right. If it doesn't work "you" installed it wrong. I bought a AOC .22 conversion at the SAR show last December for a lot less then what JAC wants. I haven't used it, but I have it. Oh and a buddy bought a JAC .22 for a M16, guess what, it didn't work either.

To my mind, the biggest problem with the JAC kits is (as mentioned above) the magazine capacity. Vector arms takes a different view of the federal regulations concerning magazines. They convert original Uzi 9mm mags to .22 holding 25 and 35 rounds. They work great with their drop-in kit. There is no barrel liner; you just field strip the Uzi and drop in the .22 kit.

I don't worry much about a seller's personality; I try to judge the product on its merits, and take advantage of the warranty if need be.

Well I think I am going to be a wise man and learn from others-Thanks Phil- I will pass on the JAC conversion- The one in my 16 works real though and I am getting an AM180 so I reackon that will have to be my 22 hose for now.

Mark