Compensator Question...

Are all of the original Colt and WWII compensators pinned as well as threaded on? I have recently bought an original Colt compensator with pin, and also a WWII production compensator. While the Colt obviously is pinned as well as threaded, the WWII one appears to have come off of a gun, but has no hole, or thread interruption to indicate that it was ever pinned on. The 1928A1 I have has a pinned compensator, as do all of the compensated guns pictured in the various books I have. While I think I already know the answer to this question, I just figured I would check on the boards, maybe there was something I missed? Thanks.

billie32,

Yes, Lionhart is correct all Colt and WWII compensators were threaded and pinned. What type of Colt compensator did you purchase, the 1st or 2nd model?

Also it is interesting that you mention that the WWII compensator has no hole drilled for the pin. If it was on a gun it would have been pinned. Could it be a NOS compensator that was never used on a gun? What are the markings on it?

If it’s a pre 70’s part without the pin hole, it must be a spare that was never installed during that early time frame. It may have been installed with a retaining compound on a later gun and seen some use there. NAC used NOS GI parts at various times throughout production of both FA and SA guns including comps that were not pinned.