Transferable Maremont Serial Number Range?

Does anyone know the serial number range for the 100 transferable Maremonts M60s that ReconOrdnance set loose?

I was told by Jerry @ RO they all started with "077xxxx"

What is the range? Were the numbers consecutive?

I suppose any other Maremonts SNs outside of that are either rewelds

or were obtained from demills?

Anybody care to comment?

Thanks in advance,

-- Matt

Some of the M60s in that commercial lot were 771XXXX, although I don't believe all were but don't know for a fact. I have owned three of the771XXXX guns, one of which was in its original box with all wrapping, glove, etc, etc.

Also have seen a small number of original factory N.E. Maremont M60s that are not in that 771XXXX range.

A wide variety of estimates of the number of these guns have been reported over the years but Prasser's number may well be correct. It would be interesting to see a copy of the original sales invoice for the guns with the serials and quantity which must be archived somewhere. FWIW

Thanks for the info!!!

Yeah, sure, it is likely some number of original factory Maremonts were sold to

LE agencies that eventually made their way intact to collectors...

So...

1) The "100" factory guns via RO

2) Other factory guns sold to agencies

3) Were there any other factory transferable guns sold?

4) F1/F2 guns built using intact trunions

5) F1/F2 guns built using re-welded demil trunions

6) ???

AFAIK the 100 were consecutive from memory.

Not many were sold outside the 100, since at the time LE had no use or connection to get them

No one else was able to swing a deal with maremont, other than perhaps a couple insiders and that number is very low. It took a 100 before they would even consider the order and even back in the day, that was a LOT of cash. The price was still fairly high, even then.

Any other guns with maremont trunions would not list them as the mfr., so they aren't all that relevant. There are a few trunions out there unnumbered but they are sketchy at best, may or may not be finished completely, and unlikely heat treated so they could be stamped. There are a number that were demilled and torched. Again any of these that made the registry will be marked from a different mfr and likely marked elsewhere with the actual manufacturers name.

There are a handful of new trunions from unfired guns that were demilled (yes believe it or not our gov. cuts up brand new guns), but the trunion escaped the torch. These are complete and numbered, but not likely you'll ever see one for sale. HTH

AFAIK the 100 were consecutive from memory.

Not many were sold outside the 100, since at the time LE had no use or connection to get them

No one else was able to swing a deal with maremont, other than perhaps a couple insiders and that number is very low. It took a 100 before they would even consider the order and even back in the day, that was a LOT of cash. The price was still fairly high, even then.

Any other guns with maremont trunions would not list them as the mfr., so they aren't all that relevant. There are a few trunions out there unnumbered but they are sketchy at best, may or may not be finished completely, and unlikely heat treated so they could be stamped. There are a number that were demilled and torched. Again any of these that made the registry will be marked from a different mfr and likely marked elsewhere with the actual manufacturers name.

There are a handful of new trunions from unfired guns that were demilled (yes believe it or not our gov. cuts up brand new guns), but the trunion escaped the torch. These are complete and numbered, but not likely you'll ever see one for sale. HTH

Interesting-

FWIW, there was an uncut Maremont trunion with serial # that sold recently on GB for 1.6K

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812814838

That would be an interesting trunion for a rebuild on a channel marked transferable...

Yes,

that's what I was referring to above. How do you roll stamp a ser# on a heat treated trunion? Black phospate was not done at Saco. The markings look a bit sketchy as well? Origin is questionable as is completeness. I've seen a number of this type for sale relatively recently.

• 5 months later...

FWIW,

there are a small # (~25?) of other transferable factory Maremonts with serial #s of the form SMXX (where the SM stands for Special Manufacture)

One story I heard is that they were made as early sales samples

Edited by mattnh

• 4 weeks later...

Reuben just posted a transferable Maremont for sale with serial number W-PI-14 (WPI14)

I've never seen a Maremont with a SN like that.

Anybody seen a SN like this before?

Link while it lasts:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15421-maremont-m60e4-excellent/

Edited by mattnh

Some new SN info from Mike Todd (RIP) who purchased guns directly

o "The rumor they required 100 piece order is B.S. - I did 3 orders myself for only 15 guns total"

o First direct buy from MAREMONT started with guns in the SM-41 - SM-48 range" did not include SM-42

o Next, Five guns from 77xx range

o A year later, 3 guns from 77xx range

Three totally separate orders more than a year apart. ..

Edited by mattnh

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did the Maremont deal with Perry in 1978/79 100 guns Under ARMCO ARM LTD.old history Jerry entered later when the Doc who gave Perry much of the bucks jacked him out of it. My ad was in shotgun news on these $3,750.00 they cost for the 100 $1,900 and change from Maremont.It was a fiasco deal.Only two involved in it myself and R.J. PERRY.

so i can care less what was spouted later most of it heresay and b.s. made up over the decades. RON K.

was even in my 1980 catalog first time offered.

• 1 year later...