WTS/WTT: Wartime US MODEL OF 1928A1 Thompson

Bigbore is absolutely right. Prices, in general for machineguns are way down. The highwater mark was somewhere in 2018 or early 2019. It will be interesting to see what prices machineguns fetch at Morphy's later this month and at RIA in early June.

Bigbore is absolutely right. Prices, in general for machineguns are way down. The highwater mark was somewhere in 2018 or early 2019. It will be interesting to see what prices machineguns fetch at Morphy's later this month and at RIA in early June.

unfortunately you won't really know due to high reserve prices and non paying bidders, even looking at those prices they may or not be true? True benchmarks are often what you hear reported here than completed auction numbers.

unfortunately you won't really know due to high reserve prices and non paying bidders, even looking at those prices they may or not be true? True benchmarks are often what you hear reported here than completed auction numbers.

Morphy's and RIA aren't like gunbroker. Regardless, if bidding stopped $20k, that means no one was willing to pay more than $20K.

Everyone is probably aware of the old adage, which states words to the effect, "You didn't pay too much for your full auto, you just bought too soon." The price always seems high whey you buy, but over time it gets better and better.

There are ups and downs in the market, just like the economy is cyclical. This is certainly a challenging economy at the present time. Cash is King. As noted in an above post, the seller can always come down if he gets an acceptable offer.

bigu2fan,

I would like to see some close-up pictures of the barrel collar with the horizontal fore grip removed. At first glance, it looks like the barrel has been replaced, fairly common for Thompson guns that saw use in military service. Also note how the compensator pin appears to be flattened on one, perhaps both ends. Another sign something happened here. The markings on the top of the barrel are commercial proof marks applied after this Thompson left military service. Robert Henley posted a picture of Page 115 of my book, Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story, regarding this marking. I am sure Frank's American Thunder series also references these commercial proof marks.

The knurled fire control levers are very interesting because of the late serial number. I don't think I have seen an example in the Savage 189,00 serial number range or higher with the early levers. I could easily believe one knurled lever but both. That is noteworthy. The other part that gives me pause in the early buffer pilot with the axis holes or centers (something I have incorrectly referred to as bevels for many years). I would like to see a picture of the "S" mark on this piece. Of course, these are bolt-on parts so they do make for a nice Savage Thompson with WWII British markings.

A Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) would be interesting to see when S-189259 was born on the Registry.

bigu2fan,

Thank you for the quick pictures. I would still like to see some better high resolution pictures of the barrel collar.

Let me state that I have not spent a lot of time studying late Savage Thompson guns. My studies have concentrated on the early Savage guns and the Savage Commercial Thompsons. That said, to some degree everything overlaps. If anyone has any other ideas than what I have posted below, please share with the Forum and we will all learn something.

I cropped the picture you provided and added some arrows. The red arrow points to what I believe is the index line with a square Stevens Arms S mark on top of the index line. Note the other symbols on the barrel and collar. To me, this indicates a replacement barrel. To further the point, note the marks on the barrel fins underneath the grip mount toward the front of the barrel - see green arrow. These horizontal marks on the fins appear indicative of the barrel being placed in some device to hold the barrel during a barrel exchange. This would also explain the compensator pins being flattened on the ends.

Crop with arrows - FF05D7.jpeg.jpg

Does this impact value? It certainly would with a Colt's. A military Savage, definitely not as much.

• Upvote 1

Yes, its a discussion forum, but not an argument forum. You are entitled to your opinion but

its only YOUR opinion. I would bet that this gun sells for within 10% of the asking price which means

he has started it exactly where it should be. His asking price is probably a little higher than what he

will take. He can always lower the price like you are doing with your sandblasted parkerized M1928A1.

Comparing this gun to refinished Colts at $30K is not a relevant comparison. Citing 5 posts from

Sturm is not exactly exhaustive research.

And here we are at the tip of the spear - the ultimate Thompson fanatics on this forum who are

tuned in to everything. But there is a big wide world of Thompson buyers and sellers out there who

have never heard of machinegunboards or Sturmgewehr. There are a couple of MG dealers here

that do shows and I am always astonished at how high their prices are. Yet they sell the stuff. If you

are a doctor, lawyer, or Indian Chief and you saw Public Enemies or Sahara and decide you want

a Thompson, $3000 either way means nothing to you.

The seller has done nothing wrong and I wish him all the best in selling his gun at a price that

is acceptable to him, not you.

Bob

Edited by reconbob

Thanks! I got the photos and responded. Can you please provide some photos of your M1 that are closer up and with better lighting? One of the right hand side of the receiver was out of focus. I am particularly interested in closeup photos of the left, right, top and bottom of receiver (interior with bolt and recoil spring assembly removed). Also particularly interested in a close-up photo showing the area where the barrel screws into the receiver. Can you please provide photos similar to those that I posted for the 1928? I was just using an iPhone and took the gun outside into my back yard to get some good lighting. Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give. Really looking to trade for an M1/M1A1 that is not a rewatt or reweld and that does not have any police department markings or heavy buffing and/or pitting. I would prefer to steer away from a gun that has been blank adapted. I also have a Colt M16A1 lower if that is of interest to anyone.

bigu2fan,

I sent over those photos that you requested.

Regards, RichardS

US Army, RET

Beautiful gun. But I think your asking price might be a little high. But who knows you might attract a buyer that just has to have it. You have certainly taken the time to document via pictures, well done.

Can you guys just imagine if somebody had 20 Colts they bought in 2000 for $5 grand each.And the family ended up with them when they guy left for a hunting trip and never returned. And the family said we need that 5 grand each back now to buy a few new trucks to tool around in.And they advertised today..............Some might question the cond of the guns who had them before.and why so cheap. or maybe not enough money raise to $20 grand now.buy ten trucks.

And the comments and arguments and opinions would fly.

Who would care what they have or sell it for.....

Maybe the Covid and Mask Madness has infested the Tommy forum.There will always be some left over for new buyers.....Ask MR. EARL

P.S. wow got the Colt Pictures darn wrong model.

post-504-0-19910900-1590522090_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

All I can say is this is a really nice one and I learn a lot from this forum on items for sale with with or without pedigree, pictures, condition, and variations. Good luck with your sale Sir.

Nice gun!

Bigbore... Please show us your data that shows actual selling prices and conditions. I know there have been some real dogs out there with lower prices, but nice 28s - and as you mentioned Colt's - are not selling in the open market for your numbers. I think you posted what you wanted to pay, not the market.

OOW in the last month sold a refinished Colt for $30K.

There is a refinished Colt that has been on Sturm since March for $32K and no buyers yet.

All Thompson prices are way down.

Scan the forums, watch the dealers and track the selling prices.

The last M1A1 discussed in this forum sold for $18,750.

The 1928 in this thread, on a Form 4 has a realistic selling price of about $24K tops.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17065-wts-colt-thompson-1921ac-1921-sn-5697/

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17213-wts-auto-ord-bridgeport-m1a1-price-lowered-again-18750/

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16497-wts-1928a1-nac-thompson-price-lowered-20k-sold/

https://www.oowinc.com/exclusives/full-auto/original-colt-1921/

My AC that I cant get rid of(but get $20K offers every few weeks)

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12763-1928ac-bridgeport-thompson-22k-delivered/

I purchased the M1A1 mentioned. I think the gun was underpriced. In fact, I was looking for a 1928 like the one posted in this thread, but the M1A1 was just too tempting to pass up.

Unfortunately for the seller, there were a number of members who had recently purchased or already owned similar guns, or I believe it would have likely sold earlier and for more money. In fact, someone just posted a WTB ad for a Bridgeport like mine.

I realize I'm a relative newbie, but the OP's 1928 looks like an exceptional model, not one I would expect to sell for $24K.

So, you bought that gun. I made an offer on it for slightly less than you ended up paying. For the timeframe, you paid market price.

Dan

• 9 months later...