Introduction and Advice on First TSMG Purchase

Conrad...good to hear you are making time to go see the M1. You can take a closer look at that those few minor pitting spots and run a few mags thru it. You will sleep better waiting for the stamp, also maybe get a few bucks off the price. There is good advice here these guys know everything there is to know about these guns. I was told many times to take a pass last year and when the right gun showed up i will know that one is the one. I realize that prices keep going up so waiting is a double edge sword. The M1A1 i bought last year was in Vegas too at Dan Sheas Shop. I drove there from Phoenix and checked it out. I probably didnt have to go there Dan is very well known in the industry and the gun was exactly as advertised but its a big investment so why not. Still waiting on my stamp but i dont have to wonder if there will be any surprises when it arrives. Vin

PS they were on display and spoken about at both Show and Shoots and shortly after nearly all were spoken for. I would not call a wholesale price, but others feel so. I guess a shooter Colt is over 40k now after reading all the posts.

Ive said a million times, but gunbroker aint where all the nice guns are for sale and it pays to have others looking for you as fellow collectors.

Ron

Oh yeah and it was a TATA display at NRA that started the whole St. Louis thing. Another 20+ guns save from the chopping block

Ron, To be clear, my comment above to a wholesale price was directed to the $22,000 per gun paid by Midwest Distributors to the St. Louis PD, not to the retail prices paid to Midwest by their purchasers. And I think it was a pretty gutsy move on their part to make the deal with the St. Louis PD. They earned whatever profit they got.

In any case, I agree 100% with your assessment as to where and how to buy.

MP

Understood. No they sold the Colts very reasonable, but Im sure intent was to move them along instead of holding for a year to get top dollar. My only point is that if someone is really interested, they should take time to learn, meet some folks and search out the right one. However in this instant gratification day and age, many want to bid up the first one they see on Gunbroker, gobble up the first one MGCentral has etc etc.

I know you know that MP, youre partly responsible for corrupting me many years ago. Im just trying to help out the newer guys. Thanks again for the great Thompson library a ton of years ago. Still have it and wished I could have bought your Navy back then. Of course $18k, I think it was, was a ton of money for a poor college kid.

Several Colts were sold at a reasonable price last year and Im lookkng forward to seeing them all together this summer.

Ron

Ron, Thank you for the kind comments. You give me more credit than I deserve.

And thanks for Frank I. for founding and David A. for continuing, this, the premier forum for all things Thompson related. MP

• 1 month later...

FWIW, one of the Model 1927 Colt Thompsons from the St. Louis, MO Police Department appears to be available from Midwest Distributors:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8634-wts-colt-thompson-model-1927-all-original/

And only 47.5K !

I hope they give you a kilo of whatever else the SL PD included at that price.

FWIW, one of the Model 1927 Colt Thompsons from the St. Louis, MO Police Department appears to be available from Midwest Distributors:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8634-wts-colt-thompson-model-1927-all-original/

And only 47.5K !

I hope they give you a kilo of whatever else the SL PD included at that price.

Are you familiar with how rare that version is especially with all original semi auto parts inside?

Ron

Edited by ron_brock

Im on hold for probably 6 months - I bought the M16 first! Found a solid deal on a mint Colt M16A2. I watched a matching 21 go through gunbroker this week and end in the high 30s. Im planning on attending the August meeting and hoping to figure out if a 28 is worth the premium vs an M1.