Question On Transfer Process

Hey Guys, I Need some quick help here the process doesn't take any longer than it already will.

I'm in the process of acquiring a Bridgeport M1 from a private collector in GA. He registered the weapon under the 1968 amnesty and I have a copy of that form. His original ad said "Bridgeport M1 on form 4 in GA". It was my plan to have the gun transferred to my class 3 dealer in Maryland so I could at least see it while my paperwork was being processed.

The seller tells me that he received the Form 4 paperwork from his class 3 and that he is to send it off to Chicago with the 200.00 to have it transferred to the name of my class 3. So it would appear that I will have to pay the 200.00 again to get it from my class 3.

Is this the way it is supposed to work? My last Thompson purchase was from a dealer in Texas who transferred the weapon tax free to my dealer in Maryland.

If I have to do it this way, is it going to take months for the BATF to approve the transfer to my dealer?

I have my C&R but thought by having it sent to my dealer I would get to see it sooner.

Any suggestions?

1. I have a C&R

2. The gun is properly registered under the 68 amnesty. It is a rewat (though not torch cut, more on that later)

3. The seller has had it since 65.

When he decided to sell it he contacted a class 3 dealer in Georgia, I'm in Maryland. I sent him a copy of my class 3's FFL/SOT and my C&R

It was my impression that as a C&R holder, I could get the gun directly from a dealer in GA, after BATF processed my paperwork. I did not / do not think that the seller as an individual, could sell it to me directly and thus it would have to go through a dealer. I proposed a dealer to dealer transfer, which I know can be done tax free, so that the gun would be in Maryland while the BATF processes my papework.

Can he just fill out the form 4 paperwork to have it transferred to me?

The seller is a class act, retired USAF Major and has been more than upfront with me on every aspect of this deal. (He paid $50;00 for this gun in the 60's) We are both just ignorant of the processes.

I don't think you can avoid two taxes on this one. The fact that the gun is on a form 4 means a tax paid transfer to the GA dealer and then either a form 4 to you tax paid, or a form 3 tax free to your MD dealer followed by a form 4 tax paid to you. Wow.

I'll check with my C3 on Tuesday to verify.

Bob D

QUOTE (tommygun2000 @ May 16 2005, 08:14 PM)
If the gun is a C&R and you have a C&R license you should be able to buy the gun and transfer it directly from the original owner, no dealers involved. This is the purpose for a C&R license.

What he said, EXACTLY what he said.

Hell, Form 3 Xfers are taking 2 months anyway, just get it on your license and forget dealer.

Well everyone is helpful as always.

A couple of things:

The seller does have a C&R.

The gun is C&R being an early M1 (ser. no. 109xx)

The dealer didn't give any mis-information, I was just acting on my own ignorance.

So to summarize, if the seller fills out the Form 4 with my name and his, I get Maryland to sign off on it and get out buddies at the ATF to process it without losing it, when I get the tax stamped form 4 back from them I can have the toy transferred from him to me, right?

QUOTE (Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner @ May 16 2005, 10:30 PM)
So to summarize, if the seller fills out the Form 4 with my name and his, I get Maryland to sign off on it and get ouR buddies at the ATF to process it without losing it, when I get the tax stamped form 4 back from them I can have the toy transferred from him to me, right?

Exactly right.

QUOTE (Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner @ May 16 2005, 09:30 PM)
Well everyone is helpful as always.

A couple of things:

The seller does have a C&R.

The gun is C&R being an early M1 (ser. no. 109xx)

The dealer didn't give any mis-information, I was just acting on my own ignorance.

So to summarize, if the seller fills out the Form 4 with my name and his, I get Maryland to sign off on it and get out buddies at the ATF to process it without losing it, when I get the tax stamped form 4 back from them I can have the toy transferred from him to me, right?

You do have a C&R too right?

If you have a C&R license and the gun is C&R qualified you don't need any other dealers. It doesn't matter if the seller has a C&R...

If you transfer through a dealer you will have to pay two taxes as others noted but why do it. It will take some time to transfer even if you go through a dealer so why spend extra time. Transfer times now are a crapshoot anyway. I've got transfers that were faxed in taking longer than ones mailed in with taxes paid.....if you need help with the paperwork email me and I'll help you figure it out. You will need to fill out the form 4's in duplicate with photos and signoffs as well as a citizenship certification form that you can get on Dan Brewsters website at http://www.titleii.com look for the forms section and the form is a 5330.30 . mail all this crap off to chicago and wait....

good luck and good find

Frank

Edited by amafrank