Wts: Colt Thompsons

I am selling the following from my collection. I do not have any photos, and for this kind of money I would strongly encourage a personal visit to view the gun/guns. I am not a Class III dealer, all guns are transferable. I can be reached at the e-mail above or at the following no. 814-598-2628. Thank You

1. Colt Thompson 1921A. 98% condition high-end gun. All correct. Serial no. 1477 from Virginia State Police. Also included is an original Colt C Drum (matching), NY 3rd L Drum, 1 Pat. Date mag, 1 Blank face mag that came with the gun. $42,000.00

2. Colt Thompson 1921AC. 98% condition high-end gun. All correct. Serial no. 7285 from Kearney County Nebraska Sheriffs Department. Also included is an original FBI case, NY 3rd L Drum, 4 Pat. Date mags. $40,000.00

3. Colt Thompson 1921A. 85% condition used gun. All correct. Serial no. 4351 from Birmingham Al. Police Dept. Also included is an original Russo canvas case for the 1921A model Colt, NY 3rd L Drum, 4 Pat. Date mags. $30,000.00

4. Colt Thompson 1928N PARTS KIT all correct. $6000.00

5. Original Police Case with NY 3rd L Drum,4 Pat Date mags.$6500.00

Funds are required upfront.

Not mine just FYI. Gunrunner

Not for anything, but a friend of mine just sold a mint mint 21a for $32K which he admits was a bit too much for it....where the hell do these people come up with these prices? for that kind of money, as much as i love thompsons, i'd sell them too!!!

This is absurd! There are a preponderance of "mint" "98%" 80+ year old TSMG's in the pipeline now. Even if the police departments fired their TSMG's infrequently, they were surely indifferent about handling, storage, cleaning, and transporting a weapon that was tax payer purchased and of inconsequential personal value.

If a 1921 Colt TSMG is indeed in "mint" condition, how is $32K "too" much of a realized sale? I wonder if those who sell M-60's for $60K and Colt/Winchester 1918 BAR's for $35K have similar feelings of a seller's "too high profit" remorse?

The #1477 Virginia State PD TSMG from the J. Curtis Earl collection (as it seems all the Virginia SPD TSMG's were Earl owned) is surely suspect to be in 98% original condition.

Wow, great pieces. Where are they offered for sale? I didn't see the ad on either Sturm or subguns.

Wish I could afford that VSP piece. They are pretty nice, since they never left the Richmond HQ gunroom unless they were used for in-service school demonstrations or for coal miner strike duty.

Sniper

QUOTE (snipershot1944 @ Apr 21 2005, 04:34 PM)
Wow, great pieces.  Where are they offered for sale?  I didn't see the ad on either Sturm or subguns.

Wish I could afford that VSP piece.  They are pretty nice, since they never left the Richmond HQ gunroom unless they were used for in-service school demonstrations or for coal miner strike duty.

They are on Sturmgewehr.com.

Arthur is correct, it seems that J. Curtis Earl owned many of the Virginia State Police guns years ago. If he owned them, I would be a little suspect about the 98% rating, too.

Apples & oranges are both fruit. Depends on what you have taste for. For the price of a $1000 or less parts kit you can make a WH gun mechanically just as sound as a pre war or war gun. The only differance between my tommy and one of them is the historical stories. Some true and some false. OH... Then thiers the price!

QUOTE (snipershot1944 @ Apr 21 2005, 05:40 PM)
I think that Buddy may have zapped it (as usual).

Could someone enlighten me why certain posts are deleted on Sturmgewehr for what seem like innocent technical errors? Is it grammar, punctuation, spelling or incomplete sentences?

Anyway, I saw the ad that was reposted on this list earlier today on Sturmgewehr. Either it was zapped or someone bought the whole lot and the seller didn't want to get "YELLED" at for not deleting the post quickly enough. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Buddy is a board nazi (no ads for you!!!)

Not really, he just has very narrow specifications for posts on his board. Location and price in the header, etc. If they don't meet the specs, he zaps them. His board, his rules.

As for WH vs Colt Thompsons, it's kind of like Harleys and Hondas. Both get you from point a to z, but there is a certain non-functional mystique associated with certain items that add to the value.

One is not necessarilly better or worse than the other, but they are very different investments.

Time to get off the soapbox. Wish I had a bucket of dollars for the VSP Thompson. My Dad probably fired it at one time or another in his 37-year career.

Sniper

QUOTE (snipershot1944 @ Apr 21 2005, 07:38 PM)
Buddy is a board nazi (no ads for you!!!)

Not really, he just has very narrow specifications for posts on his board.  Location and price in the header, etc.  If they don't meet the specs, he zaps them.  His board, his rules.

Sniper,

Thanks for the input, but I guess what I was puzzled by was, what was wrong with the text of the ad that was reposted by gunrunner this morning? He obviously copied the original ad verbatim. I did see the original ad and I can't for the life of me understand what was so objectionable in the text. Are you saying that it was probably the header that was incorrect? I don't remember it exactly, but it had the obligatory WTS: Etc. I don't have an issue with his deleting posts, after all it is his Board, as you correctly point out; I just don't see much consistency in the deleting of posts. It all seems rather arbitrary.

Gijive,

An assumption that Buddy deleted the post could be correct, or maybe not. There might have been some technical issue with it, and Buddy may have deleted it. Many posts are deleted by the original poster due to errors noticed after submission, additional information that becomes available regarding the item for sale, or because they have had a major "bite" on the item , and want to cut down on additional inquiries for an item that could be sold pending funds. Some people notice that they made a technical posting error, and delete it themselves prior to gaining Buddy's attention.

I always delete my own posts as soon as I have an e-mail agreement for a buyer to purchase the item.

Buddy deletes a lot of posts. His moderation maintains order on the board. This particular ad was posted by someone who posts quite frequently, and is familiar with the process, and that is why I believe it might have been deleted by the poster.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

If Brian in PA deleted the post himself, suggesting that he sold all of his items, then there are some out of touch buyers who paid his $6500 price for a police case (worth $1.5K-2.5K) with a 3rd pattern New York drum (worth $1k-$2K) and four patent date mags (worth $400 max) and also paid his $6.5K for a parts kit that has sold for under $4K in the last six months.

Arthur,

O.K., now I realize that I got a little confused as to who generated the original post. For some reason I thought we were talking about the Thompson for sale in Miami. I'm not sure why the post was deleted. I'm just saying that when a post is deleted, one should not automatically assume that Buddy deleted it. And no, I did not delete it, either.

David

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David,

The Ruben Mendiola ad seemed straight forward as well even though the description included a Colt TSMG covered in cosmoline, but then subjected to a Don's Gun Shop ultrasonic cleaning. Hummm. He then advertises the price at $31,995 OBO, but then adds, "I'm in no hurry to sell it." Does that mean that if a buyer met his $31,995 figure he would still have to think about it?

QUOTE (dalbert @ Apr 21 2005, 08:31 PM)
This particular ad was posted by someone who posts quite frequently, and is familiar with the process, and that is why I believe it might have been deleted by the poster. 

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I was being a little "tongue-in-cheek", knowing the reputation that your brother has for deleting posts. No disrespect was was intended. Your explanation was clear and concise. I really was trying to get a better sense of the deletion process, as I have only posted on your Boards a couple of times. Mine weren't deleted, mind you, I was just trying to get a better understanding of what criteria was used in the event I post in the future. Thanks.

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Apr 21 2005, 09:11 PM)

The Ruben Mendiola ad seemed straight forward as well even though the description included  a Colt TSMG covered in cosmoline, but then subjected to a Don's Gun Shop ultrasonic cleaning. Hummm.

Arthur,

I had to chuckle at that one as well.

gijive,

Thanks for your reply.

By the way, Buddy is not my brother. He moderates the board,and does a good job of keeping out the troublemakers. Sometimes his techniques can rub certain folks the wrong way, but most people see very good results from their free advertisements, and learn to conform with the standards that are set.

I hope you have yielded good results from your posts on Sturmgewehr, and continue to post on the board.

David

QUOTE (gijive @ Apr 21 2005, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (snipershot1944 @ Apr 21 2005, 04:34 PM)
Wow, great pieces.  Where are they offered for sale?  I didn't see the ad on either Sturm or subguns.

Wish I could afford that VSP piece.  They are pretty nice, since they never left the Richmond HQ gunroom unless they were used for in-service school demonstrations or for coal miner strike duty.

They are on Sturmgewehr.com.

Arthur is correct, it seems that J. Curtis Earl owned many of the Virginia State Police guns years ago. If he owned them, I would be a little suspect about the 98% rating, too.

I have xerox copies of Earls bound book, from the VA state police purchase(s) era. Not the complete bound book, just a few years worth of data.

If it is important, I can alway look and see if the gun did pass thru his hands.

Doug

I was involved with the purchase of a collection a couple of years ago and moving it. We asked tall prices on some of the pieces that were rather exotic. In particular, I recall an original HK pre-May MP-5K that we got big money for, considering that it was a pre-May sample, because it was an unusual and rare piece. Some other stuff too. If I would have known WH's were going to be bringing $12k, we would have hung onto ours for a little while.

If I had the spare change, I would be interested in the VSP piece, and would pay some premium for it. You never know who is out there with a fetish for that particular weapon.

In trading and negotiating, you can always come down, but it is difficult to go up. Price it to low, kill the deal, and move the price upward, and see what happens.

I have ended up with a post-war MG-42, imported by Colt, in .308. Wartime and reweld MG-42's are running mid-$30's these days. Considering there are only about 6 of these guns in the registry, I would probably price it at or near $100,000. Crazy, sure; do I really want to sell it, not right now; but if someone came along at that price, they can have it.

I personally thought the Thompson prices were a little high, but I was not "shocked" by any means. Prices like this will level with a willing buyer and willing seller at some point. That sets the benchmark and value for the rest of us.

Ken

GIJive, Arthur,

What's up with J. Curtis Earl guns?

"Arthur is correct, it seems that J. Curtis Earl owned many of the Virginia State Police guns years ago. If he owned them, I would be a little suspect about the 98% rating, too. "

Was he a refinishers? I bought my 1928 AO from him about a year before he died. His prices were a bit high at the time but I couldn't replace mine now for the money I paid him for it.