New owner

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dpedersen

Dpedersen

• Regular Group
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 04:49 PM

Ive been a member of this board for little over a year now, but this is my first post. My father passed his WH Thompson and his extensive Thompson collection down to me after a devastating diagnosis. He was a long time active member of this board. I have shot this Thompson my whole life with him and now its for me to carry on! I am also in the process of purchasing a Colt Thompson to honor his long unfulfilled wish to own one. Wish he could have made it to see me get my stamp! So hello to all! I have a question I need help with. I finally got to shoot it yesterday and I was having issues with rounds ejecting. I know he had obtained a custom milled ejector and installed it because he wanted it to look as much a '21 as possible. I looked at it and it looked a bit short. I removed it and compared it with 2 early Savage ones it did indeed is short!. I installed one of the Savage ones and will go shoot it when I get a chance and see if that resolves the problem. My big question is after I installed the Savage ejector (being careful to not scratch the receiver) I noticed I can not get it to screw in to where it is flush. Is this normal? I tried all 3 with repeated results. It seems the ejector is flush and can not turn anymore on the last turn where it is pointed toward the barrel of the gun.

Attached Files

Edited by Dpedersen, 29 July 2022 - 04:56 PM.

#2 anjong-ni

anjong-ni

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:38 PM

I believe that ReCon Bob stated once the ejector thread was "ordnance timed" and they had to start the tap threads at the same place every time to allow a flush fit.

But it didn''t always work out that way... Phil

Edit to say "Sorry about your dad". He bequeathed you a really nice Thompson. Keep it forever.

Edited by anjong-ni, 29 July 2022 - 07:40 PM.

#3 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 08:08 PM

Welcome to the boards.

Sorry to hear about your dad. What was his board handle?

Lost my folks many years ago and not a day goes by without a thought or two of them, what they taught me and the goid times.
Think of your dad every time you take it out shooting and relive the fun you had with him

This board is amazing for assistance, support, parts, procedural expertise and just good camaraderie.

Edited by john, 29 July 2022 - 08:09 PM.

#4 mgvince

mgvince

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 434 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 08:36 PM

Looks like PK has worked on that gun. Might be an issue that couldn’t be resolved. Just have to see how it runs with the replaced ejector.

#5 Countryboy77

Countryboy77

• Regular Group
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 11:16 PM

You can always repair the short milled ejector with a little blob of hard weld filed to size.MgVince I never heard of an issue that cannot be resolved on a Thompson.

#6 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3036 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 30 July 2022 - 08:59 AM

Right, the third photo shows PK's Diamond K Engineering mark. Count yourself among the lucky in having a gun that he's worked on. Rest assured that the gun was functioning perfectly when it left Delta, CO. Maybe you can locate the ejector that the gun had then?

#7 Dpedersen

Dpedersen

• Regular Group
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 12:52 PM

Welcome to the boards.

Sorry to hear about your dad. What was his board handle?

Lost my folks many years ago and not a day goes by without a thought or two of them, what they taught me and the goid times.
Think of your dad every time you take it out shooting and relive the fun you had with him

This board is amazing for assistance, support, parts, procedural expertise and just good camaraderie.

my dad was lpedersen on here

#8 Countryboy77

Countryboy77

• Regular Group
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 12:42 AM

Have you tried to get 1 more turn out of it? They are usually tighter than that first photo.