Colt 28 Navy vs colt 21 or 21ac

Of the 15000 colts produced, does anyone know which model are/were there more of? I know the story of the overstamp, but....?

I asked this on another thread and not wanting to hijack that thread, I ask it here. One response was there were more Navy's. With that, why is it that a 21 actuator is easier to source and the 2 piece 28 Navy actuator practically impossible to find. The only difference the 8 stamp over the 1, and the two piece actuator. Thought this may make a good discussion.

When trying to figure out this age old question on the 15,000 Colt's, be aware that the French purchased 3000 Colt Thompson guns that were almost entirely 21A models, the Swedes purchased 500 28A models that were not marked U.S. NAVY and the US Army purchased 951 Colt's believed to have been marked "U.S. Model of 1928 A1" and definitely not marked U.S. NAVY. In addition, a review of Gordon's book does indicate a number of sales of Colt's in the 50's and 100's to commercial customers prior to 1928. A quick review of the AOC export records shows 615 Colt's sent to Germany in several shipments prior to 1928. Also, don't forget about those IRA Colt's

And thank you Mark!

Along the same lines, for years I read that "There were only about 40 1921s that were reworked into Model 1927s". But GH's Numbers book shows that at least just over 100 Model 1927s were made.

I think that representation of the numbers that are 'on the BATFE registry and transferrable' is often confused with the actual numbers made for both 28/Navy models and 1927 models.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

So I am scratching my head as to if there were more overstamps produced than 21 or 21ac Thompsons why is a 2 part actuator so hard to source? I have one, but for those wanting to make a 28 Navy whole, they are swimming against the current.

Exactly, you can get a 21 actuator for 800 to 1000, but a Navy 2 piece actuator is over 4000. Not saying it's wrong but why? If that is what they are worth then that is what they are worth.

"...why is a 2 part actuator so hard to source?"

My guess would involve breakage.

However, you have to realize there are 3 variations of original actuators for the Colt manufactured 1928 NAVY model Thompson. The two-piece actuator was the first and by design, the most fragile. I have seen several two-piece NAVY actuators where the pieces have started to or have separated. Of course, the pear shaped cocking ears were also prone to breakage. Most NAVY Colt's were in active police service long after World War II ended. Damage or broken 1928 actuators would have been easily replaced with much stronger WWII manufactured actuators. Auto-Ordnance used all three NAVY actuators variations in all serial number ranges. A search for an original NAVY actuator should not be limited to the original two-piece actuator.

Since the 1928 NAVY model is believed to have been the best seller of all the models after 1928, the rarity may also have something to do with IRS registration. Perhaps, most NAVY Thompson guns sold to police departments were properly registered in 1934 and after thus limiting the number of Form 10 NAVY Thompson guns cut up for parts in the Roger Cox era and afterward. This is just a guess on my part but definitely something to think about.