Seem a little high for a Colt?

Here's the link to the Colt auction

https://centurionauctions.hibid.com/lot/60199792/colt-m1921--45-acp-thompson-submachine-gun---nfa?cpage=4&ipp=100

$69K x 1.2 = $82.8K. Stupid money and/or stupid people

Edited by StrangeRanger

GH remarked that the 1st type Cutts Compensator is marked "Made In France." He states that after 1934, the BMCPD converted it to a 1921AC. Which would usually indicate they sent it back to AOC for the upgrade, but by that date the 2nd type marked Cutts would have been what AOC would be using. Of course this mystery just adds to the value...

There is what appears to be a "N" visible on the compensator.

post-110-0-03839100-1579535940_thumb.jpg

#274 THAT i sold years ago had a Made in France type one comp on it also.The collector I bought it from is gone. And Tom never had a explanation for it either.This was around 1999/2000.It was a early gun,And all original.

I guess the Made in France. Comp. Made it look like a behind the enemy lines dropped from a parachute Thompson.Not like the U-boat delivered ones to Errol Flynn in "Edge Of Darkness".

Yes History at its finest.

RON K.

I find the selling price unbelievable. I do hope the new owner never buys my book.

Note the barrel has 28 fins and a wedding band. The barrel also has a thin barrel collar. I have no reason to suspect the barrel is not original. I do find the "Made in France" Type 1 compensator on NO 398 interesting. Same for NO 274. I would like some better pictures of that feature.

Also note the fake Spare Part Kit (SPK). I will have more information on this type fake SPK in my next book.

This Colt's has many many problems. The best part (to me) is the matching numbered L drum.

#274 THAT i sold years ago had a Made in France type one comp on it also.The collector I bought it from is gone. And Tom never had a explanation for it either.This was around 1999/2000.It was a early gun,And all original.

RON K.

Ron,

Do you recall the location on the comp where the "Made In France" stamp was on #274?

There seem to be letters stamped on the flat side rear of the comp by the barrel (see photo) along with the "N' visible on the outside threaded area of the comp.

post-110-0-41386300-1579565664_thumb.jpg

I don't think the wood is "refinished" at all.....because I doubt it's original wood to the gun in the first place and likely not colt. The buyer is possibly an SOT, since he bought a number of other guns in the auction and a few were pre-mays. Not that any of that has anything to do with anything, but just an observation. The premay m1, 28, schnell, MAS 36, and 38a from a quick glance. The matching L drum is cool, but would be nicer if it matched a matching gun? Course since they never matched anyhow, not sure it's a big deal?

It was stamped in same area. not engraved And i suppose done before it was installed on any barrel, I am only aware of 2 now. the guy who owns it is a attorney in Florida if still around.Tom Spengel a long time friend is now gone.

I really don't have much to add to the forum anymore but just these tid bits of info......

a good 2020 to those still here.

RON K.