Drum Value Question

I didn't know class was in session. I was too busy slobbering over some old machineguns laying on a table. Or was it that blond with the low cut top? I'll be at the next class for sure. Merle did teach me a few things about drums while I was there, and over the beers. This August will be a good classroom also.

It appears the rear half of first and third gen Worcester drums are the same, with only the second gen having the comma after NY.

is this correct, or is Hill's info incorrect? Or, as the case often is, drum parts were switched around over the decades, and nobody knows for sure?

I have the front cover of Colt drum #1452 if anybody has the rear half of the drum, maybe we can work something out

Doug

Before I launched into print I triple checked my own drums, I have 3 colts, 1921 "C". a 1921 "L" numbered and a 1928 Colt "L"verified by the BIG THREE as mentioned in my prior post.

I also double checked Doug Richardson's drum book which clearly points out the difference so I hope I am correct.

All of my Colt drums have nickled plated rotors and so do my two Seymore drum but they also have a "S" stamp on the rotor.

Yes Mike I agree with you about the Blond with the triple "C" drums.

No wonder we got the covers mixed up.

Hey have confirmed our flight and train to Fairfax for July August and have sent Tracie Hill a US$'s bank draft for all of the tours and events for the four days.

Regards

Murray,

PS Bought another Colt 1921 Irish Sword yesterday. Should arrive next week. serial number I understand to be between 900 and 1000. That will make a total of four Colts in the under 1000 serial number range.

Chip,

This discussion came up about a year ago. I believe the pictures in the Hill book were placed on the wrong pages by the publisher and I pointed that out in the previous discussion. It doesn't make sense that Worcester changed the dies to eliminate the comma (whether on purpose or by accident) and change the position of the font, then change it back for a second run of drums. I think a picture of a Colt 1928 drum got placed on the page describing the Worcester second generation. The Colt drums also have the welds, although they are not as visible as on the Worcester drums.

The Colt numbered L drums have the exact same rear body plate as the recently sold drum on Gunbroker. The comma is present and the font position is the same. I have owned three Worcester drums, including a later one with the Wind to Nine Clicks in a semi-circle on the front. The font style was different and the comma after N.Y. didn't appear on any of them.

I believe it is a Colt 1928 drum as Murray pointed out.

And the real pisser is he paid nowhere near what we have to pay for a West Hurley here in the states that made the things in the first place! Makes you want to move to the far side of the world, don't it?

Arthur & Gijive

Thanks for the correction and information on the drums. It does make sense they would not change their set up for one run of faceplates. Guess I’ll have to get a copy of Doug’s Book.

Hey Chip,

Doug's book is nothing flash, ie soft cover & ring bound but!

It is great value with a mint of information and photos and drawings of all the known made drums and a few unknown ones.It is 118 pages and in my opinion worth every nickle. He also has another book on stick mags which is equally interesting.

Regards

Murray.