Colt Thompson Asking Prices

For 2008 I took out the highest 2 prices because they were ridiculous #'s and then the lowest one as has been my normal practice .

One other point comes to mind in regard to throwing out the highest/ lowest prices. As we all know, there are always ridiculous high prices asked and it is doubtful any are ever sold for a ridiculously high price, contrast this to the occasional very low price that in all likelihood does end up being sold. Maybe the the low price should be left in the equation just because it probably in reality does reflect a selling price. Just a thought.

• 1 year later...

OK I got off my butt on this update for the 2009 data.

As usual, I am sure it will have much debate. All I claim is this is what I have seen and/or heard as asking prices tossing out highest and lowest prices. For 2009 just as in 2008 tossed out one lowest and two high which were again in the ridiculous range.

disclaimer

your mileage may vary

while there are SOME prices confirmed as selling price, no one is claiming that these asking prices actually SOLD for these prices.

As we all knew and understood prices clearly went down. My figures are an annual total so does not reflect the more recent prices we are seeing now.

Attached the data in a different hopefully more readable format.

Enjoy

Thompson_price_data_2009.jpg

• 6 months later...

Merry Christmas to all.

Did not have a chance to tabulate and publish the 2009 data until May. So, while I still had the chance before 2011 arrives and I get too busy, decided to review my 2010 tracking data and publish the results. If another Colt Thompson shows up for sale I will republish.

Usual disclaimers apply.

your mileage may vary

While there are SOME prices confirmed as selling price, no one is claiming that these asking prices actually SOLD for these prices.

Later in 2010 after I published 2009 data, I realized there were errors. The root cause of the errors was I simply forgot to record and include auction data that I keep, yup simply too busy and plain forgot.

What I usually do is record auction text description data prior to the actual auction. Started doing this when I realized after one auction that the text description was no longer published on a particular auctioneer site. This made me realize I needed to start recording the text description before the auction. I began doing this in a separate area of my tracking sheet, and move the text and the actual gavel price with any premium into the main tracking area after the auction. Well in 2009 for some reason I did not pull and record the final prices in for 7 Thompsons from Julia, J.C. Devine, RIA and then the Guersney County Sheriff.

I am not worthy!!

OK now that I have probably bored everyone to tears with that explanation above, let's move on.

What I had suspected shows in the 2010 data, not a whole lot of Colt's offered compared to previous years, and the asking prices are going up.

As has been my practice, tossed out the top prices (two) and one lowest. Typical high prices are usually an asking price so tossing out known selling prices is a bit different this year but doing it to be as consistent as possible.

In 2010 there were reports of the sale of a well known Thompson that is not recorded here in this data. This is because I have not heard that the sale went through, it would clearly have been deleted from the data anyway as a high price, we are talking a price in the six digits. So automatically tossed out that one and did not count it as one of the top two prices I usually toss. There is another Thompson still out there with an asking price at $995k +, also not even considered. So reality is I tossed out the 4 highest prices, 1 in the stratosphere $995k +, 1 reported possible pending sale in the six digits, 1 asking in the $60's (Neal Smith at the October KCR event) and finally one actual September RIA gavel price in the high 50's. Tossing an actual auction price, is a bit unusual but as I said trying to be true and as consistent as possible. Once again my apologies for the boring long explanation.

Update: I have been informed by a "deep throat" source, that the well known Thompson mentioned above actually has sold. However, this still will not change my data.

Thompsons.jpg

In your figuring when a gun sells at auction, is the sale price considered to be

the final bid price? Or does the sale price include the buyers premium paid to the

auction house. For example - if a gun sold for $30K and there was a 15% premium

the final payout by the buyer would be $34,500. So do you value it at $30K or

$34.5K?

This is great research and info - thanks for posting.

Bob

So with Fidelity Fund i ended up still making out by $8,000.00 more over a seven year span.versus buying a 21 Thompson for $20,000.00 in 2003. and selling it today for $25,000.00> if there would be any buyer's for it at that price.{ hey maybe two or three possibly.}

But a Thompson is something you can shoot, fondle, show -off and take it to a gun show and tell a tale.

the f.f. fund.is paper until you ask for the greenback's..

the only big diff is after a phone call you can have in 48 hour's. the greenback's anyway you like. on selling that Tommy it may take a while longer to see the green. hopefully 2011 will be better for the "Gun Crowd"

in the next ten years or so expect to see a ton of tommies on the market.many dealers and collectors are aging, sad thing. hopefully the new bloods will step up with the cash and the enthusiasm as the past collectors have.> only time will tell<and the Fed Gov.

Ron /Colt21a

So with Fidelity Fund i ended up still making out by $8,000.00 more over a seven year span.versus buying a 21 Thompson for $20,000.00 in 2003. and selling it today for $25,000.00> if there would be any buyer's for it at that price.{ hey maybe two or three possibly.}

But a Thompson is something you can shoot, fondle, show -off and take it to a gun show and tell a tale.

the f.f. fund.is paper until you ask for the greenback's..

the only big diff is after a phone call you can have in 48 hour's. the greenback's anyway you like. on selling that Tommy it may take a while longer to see the green. hopefully 2011 will be better for the "Gun Crowd"

in the next ten years or so expect to see a ton of tommies on the market.many dealers and collectors are aging, sad thing. hopefully the new bloods will step up with the cash and the enthusiasm as the past collectors have.> only time will tell<and the Fed Gov.

Ron /Colt21a

Run for cover ron!! The sky is falling!

Good job keeping up with them all. I can understand tossing those crazy 6 digit numbers but any bonefide auction price ought o be included regardless of whether its the highest or lowest price- its market

Good job keeping up with them all. I can understand tossing those crazy 6 digit numbers but any bonefide auction price ought o be included regardless of whether its the highest or lowest price- its market

I hear you.

Trying to keep as true and as consistent as possible. When I did the calcs, the one asking price of $995k just was not even a consideration. Then there were reports of a sale crossing into the six-digits but I had no confirmation at the time, so tossed those automatically and did not even consider as the top two. This left the data with an asking in the 60's and an auction in the high 50's that were the two highest, that needed to be tossed.

Understand some would be curious regardless.

If we include the one RIA auction Thompson not included originally, then the average goes from $32,725 to $33,588.

michael

in the next ten years or so expect to see a ton of tommies on the market.many dealers and collectors are aging, sad thing. Ron /Colt21a

I think we're starting to see that. I saw on the news today where 10,000 baby boomers a day will start retiring beginning 1/1/11 for the next 19 years.

Many here will be joining that bunch in 19 year's.I am sure we don't have too many here that are under forty anymore. if they are worth their oats doing Thompson's.

you would have had to be around during the 86 ban. and be age 21 so that already puts them at 45 plus.

and that old wifes tale of taking items with you. { that never works out}it all gets sold off.just think TUTANKAMEN>did not look it up to what is the correct spelling of his full name.< or really King Tut got buried with all his gear. and when they found it all, they split it up. wink!

everybody have a great 2011. Ron /Colt21a

Happy New Year

Well I tried to get ahead of the game and 3 more Thompson's show up.

I have edited the data. All the previous comments on what was excluded apply.

The final 2010 summary has been attached to post #29 on this thread.

Now that was really interesting.

I made this post, took a look at it and it was my 1111 post, just happens to have the same #'s as this date 1/1/11. It was purely coincidence, I think!!!

Happy New Year

Now that was really interesting.

I made this post, took a look at it and it was my 1111 post, just happens to have the same #'s as this date 1/1/11. It was purely coincidence, I think!!!

Sig,

Quite a coincidence! Happy New Year!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

OK

Maybe I am bored. Usually publish this list annually but when updating my notes it seemed to me there were more than a few Thompsons up for sale this year as well as actual sales and/or auction prices rather than just asking. So I had to take a look at what the data said.

Right now just tossed out the highest and lowest, 1 each.

For entertainment looked at just the reported sold prices, and auction prices. Again tossed out the highest and lowest, 1 each. Thus I have notes on 15 total sold Colt Thompsons but the sample analysis is showing 13 because the high and low were tossed out. Now before everyone steps in and says ah ha or anything. There were several Thompson auctioned that their condition was discussed extensively here, so just saying be careful about interpreting too much.

Disclaimers

Your mileage may vary

I do not disclose sources or details to maintain privacy

I am not going to do the sold analysis on previous years, do not have the time.

2011.jpg

• 2 months later...

OK

Maybe I am bored. Usually publish this list annually but when updating my notes it seemed to me there were more than a few Thompsons up for sale this year as well as actual sales and/or auction prices rather than just asking. So I had to take a look at what the data said.

For entertainment looked at just the reported sold prices, and auction prices. Again tossed out the highest and lowest, 1 each. Thus I have notes on 15 total sold Colt Thompsons but the sample analysis is showing 13 because the high and low were tossed out. Now before everyone steps in and says ah ha or anything. There were several Thompson auctioned that their condition was discussed extensively here, so just saying be careful about interpreting too much.

Disclaimers

Your mileage may vary

Updated to year end2011 Year End.jpg

OK

Disclaimers

Your mileage may vary

Updated to year endpost-104-0-35650300-1326541972_thumb.jpg

What were the highest and lowest prices that were tossed out? Does this list include the November, 2011 Subguns.com listed Colt TSMG #4912, once owned by Tracie Hill, that sold for $45K?

Arthur,

Great looking shepard by the way. I agree in principle with your position, I think that there is too much focus on the current satistical interprertation. Perhaps, a balanced position that takes into consideration the many aspects that come into play when looking to purchase a Colt. Many are advertised with some special feature attached to the firearm; from the supposed history without some documentation, a story that has been told and retold, prestine condition, you get the picture. Of course there are some that are well documented and their condition may be better that the 85% out there.

There are many PD and LE Colts out there, but most have been altered in some fashion, many are overstamps, with numbers and LE ID marks some where on the frame or wood. Some have a great story behind; like the Colt that was shipped directly to the Chief of Police in San Fransisco at his place of residence on Dolores Street in late 1934 or early 1935. I have a copy of the paperwork on file, and if I can figure out on how to post it on the boards, I will. It went out in the 90's to a dealer in Md, who basically cleared out all of the transferables that SFPD had. He got them for under 5K a piece, if I remember correctly, a dozen or so went to him.

I can see top dollar for the Chief's Colt, but the rest are just that, PD guns. I am sure that all were 21AC's, I'll check to confirm, as the rangemaster in 2004 was kind enough to open his door and let us talk thompsons, and I cannot thank him enough.

Anyway, if spending a bunch, well over the average, please be careful, as it might be worth the trip for a personal inspection and a sit down with the seller. I did it for our 21 AC and it was worth it. I was able to trace the history from Colt to us as the seller give us copies of all the forms, from the prison to him. Now that was worth the trip. Good points by all...

David

Edited by fifthmdec