Adjusting Twenty Round Mag

Hello All,

Is there some way of adjusting the lips without the anvil.My mgc thompson fires no problem with drum, http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif but the damn twenty round mag jams after two shots.

Would like to get it to fire completely.

Any help appreciated.

Mario

Is it just this one 20 round mag, all 20 round mags, or all mags including 30 round mags that are having a problem?

How many different mags have you tested?

How does the hole look on the back of the mag?

Not sure if you thought about the above questions, but the answers may help determine if it is indeed related this one mag or not.

I have around 25 of the 20rd mags and had problems with several until I purchased an anvil. After using the anvil the problems went away. The feed problem was with dated mags as well as later GI mags.

I felt it was worth the money to purchase the anvil as I continue to purchase dated mags if the price is right.

QUOTE (Ron A @ Apr 7 2004, 06:13 PM)
I have around 25 of the 20rd mags and had problems with several until I purchased an anvil. After using the anvil the problems went away. The feed problem was with dated mags as well as later GI mags.
I felt it was worth the money to purchase the anvil as I continue to purchase dated mags if the price is right.

where did you find an anvil, i'm in the market for one myself.

QUOTE (AZDoug @ Apr 7 2004, 07:00 PM)
What was wrong with the feedlips?

Too far apart, or what? Aren't they supposed to be about .550" or something?

Doug

I was told the ideal is for the cartridges are supposed to be slightly inward and slightly pointing upward.Now in trying to do so i see the cartridges are rubbing against each otherand are hard to slide in.

QUOTE (gijive @ Apr 7 2004, 07:21 PM)
chitowngangster,

Remember that the recoil springs on the MGC guns are not as strong as the real thing. Maybe the spring has something to do with it.

But if it's the spring shouldn't it also jam with the drum?I can fire 36 rounds no prob.Insert the mag an only two shots before it jams.I have to remove the cartrdge and i shoot another one or two shots and jams again.That's why i thought it would be the mag.

What do you think?

Any help appreciated!

Mario

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Apr 7 2004, 08:59 PM)
Well, guys, what you are overlooking is that the MGC Modelgun XX mags are not precisely the same as "real" Thompson mags, which will fit, though. I don't know this for a fact, Mario, but it may be that you need an original MGC mag to make it work right...or you may have to make very slight modifications to a Thompson mag to make it work.

Do you have at least one magazine which you are sure is an MGC original, and not a Thompson mag? It is pretty hard to tell them apart.

I have a 1921 MGC Thompson and the one XX mag that came with it from the store in Tokyo where I bought it in 1970.

Hello Phil,

Thanks for helping! My mgc dates from 1990 and the mag is undistinguishable from the real thompson if only except mine has no serial numbers.I assume the principal of making the mag feed right is the same as the thompson mag?The drum works like a charm,but the stick mag sucks.

Mario http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif