MP-43 problems

• 2 weeks later...

Not throwing any rocks here, but it seems that NFA guns are changing hands sight unseen. Buyers increasingly don't know much about the guns, and are not inspecting them before purchase.

I always traveled to inspect any proposed purchase, and studied up beforehand. This really paid off. I looked at several MP40s before purchasing my first one. It had just come out of an estate. The ones I didn't buy had undisclosed problems with condition, originality, or functionality. There's some real junk out there that photographed well for an online ad. Beware of worn out guns, the ones that have been shot to death by going to every machine-gun shoot in the last 50 years.

For instance, with MP40s, the Bakelite barrel rest is usually missing because it's brittle and easily broken. If it's present, there's about a 90% chance that it's a repro. This is not a deal breaker all by itself; it just means that originals are rare, and the gun's been messed with.

• 1 month later...

For feeding issues, try some ammo other than Privi Partisan. The PPU ammo is a little of in diameter in the base before the shoulder. About ,01 inch less than WW2 ammo. This causes not enough pressure on the front of the cartridge to lift the cartridge into the proper feed position. The spring in the magazine can be installed 180 degrees backwards (front to rear) casing some front of cartridge lift problems.

For feeding issues, try some ammo other than Privi Partisan. The PPU ammo is a little of in diameter in the base before the shoulder. About ,01 inch less than WW2 ammo. This causes not enough pressure on the front of the cartridge to lift the cartridge into the proper feed position. The spring in the magazine can be installed 180 degrees backwards (front to rear) casing some front of cartridge lift problems.

Interesting...i never heard this before. I have both surplus and ppu ammo. I will check this out. Thx

Never had any problems with shooting Privi in my MP44

If you have feeding issues, Key words. In my gun, the PPU cartridge wold come out of the gun and hit the bottom of the barrel and bend the cartridge.

Reloading the PPU Brass helped greatly. My 30-06 brass formed to 8mmK worked near perfect. 30-06 brass had a thicker neck to prevent bending.

Final solution was fitting tightly two magazines tight and high in the gun and checking magazine springs,

If you have feeding issues, Key words. In my gun, the PPU cartridge wold come out of the gun and hit the bottom of the barrel and bend the cartridge.

Reloading the PPU Brass helped greatly. My 30-06 brass formed to 8mmK worked near perfect. 30-06 brass had a thicker neck to prevent bending.

Final solution was fitting tightly two magazines tight and high in the gun and checking magazine springs,

I though the 8mm German ammo was modded into Kurz size ?? Edited by Petroleum 1

I would have sent it to Pete,

reloaded ammo

also reformed 308 brass works better, the case throat needs to be opened. heck Pri primed brass was for sale for sometime until very recently at graf;s

Edited by sprat

PPU has fed fine and worked for me. I have thousands of older surplus rounds, but have yet to have the need to run them since I got a pretty good stash of PPU at .50/rd. If your gun does not work reliably with PPU, you have gun issues. A lot of these guns were hacked on for years before they became "popular", and little attention was paid since ammo has always been expensive and they were not "shooters" so function was often not a priority.

Who is Pete?

Didn't know Troy did smithing?

I'm falling behind the times I guess? Or was never actually up to speed?LOL

PPU has fed fine and worked for me. I have thousands of older surplus rounds, but have yet to have the need to run them since I got a pretty good stash of PPU at .50/rd. If your gun does not work reliably with PPU, you have gun issues. A lot of these guns were hacked on for years before they became "popular", and little attention was paid since ammo has always been expensive and they were not "shooters" so function was often not a priority.

Who is Pete?

Didn't know Troy did smithing?

I'm falling behind the times I guess? Or was never actually up to speed?LOL

I am confused too but that does not take much.

I have had my MP43 for 35 years. The only ammo available then that I found was expensive and corrosive. I started to form 8mmK brass from 308 and 30-06 brass and loaded sierra 125 gn bullets. worked great. then the bolt started to roll in the receiver and jam the gun. No one had any answers. I put the gun away. I recently bought a case of PPU ammo and started to work on the gun myself. added metal to the bolt carrier and stopped the bolt from rolling. worked on the magazines fitting them to the gun. last time out gun was perfect for all 120 rds.

My reloads for my gun work perfectly. PPU are not as good. But PPU brass is now my reloads.