Joined Winchester Club “351”

Picked up a Winchester M1907 .351SL Manufactured in 1949. Its a former Tennessee Police Department Piece that was recently traded out towards new equipment. The 10 Round Magazine is Factory Original to the gun.

Also have assembled components to load including Jamison Arms Virgin Brass and 180 Grain FMJ Bullets.

Should be a fun shooter this spring.

Stay safe,

Frank

Out of interest if you have determined the date of manufacture from the various websites on the internet, these are very inaccurate.

For example s/n 49223 which is held in the Imperial War Museum in London will date to 1947 but the Winchester polishing room records date it to 9th February 1939.

My own rifle s/n 30476 dates to 1914 on the internet but entered the polishing room on 18th January 1912. Needless to say there could be some time before a rifle was actually shipped from the factory after manufacture.

Personally I would be surprised if Winchester made many Model 1907's after December 1941. No doubt some guns could have been assembled after this from parts, but I do not believe the guns were manufactured at all after the war. Just my opinion of course.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Mine is Serial number is 49867 not sure were that falls for a true date of manufacture? The online serial number resources say 1949, but I have not had opportunity to research further.

Also thanks everyone for the kind comments and information!

Stay safe,

Frank

Frank,

Model 07 serial number 49867 was serialized February 6th, 1941.

As mentioned in my post 49223 was serialized on February 9th 1939, almost exactly 2 years difference and 644 serial numbers apart. Clearly by this stage the '07 was not a big seller. It would seem unlikely Winchester made any more after manufacture stopped in 1942, although rifles may have been assembled from parts.

I have got all of the late Mr Henwood's books, they are well worth having in your library.

Estimates as to manufacture are just that. The date taken from a factory record in this case the polishing room ledger - which are in fact pocket notebook size, at least the ones I handled at Cody where - are factual.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Edited by AlanDavid

That Henwood 07 book is a hard one to find, don't have the one on the model 8. John actually sent me a copy of the Winchester book and we corresponded back & forth a bit, lost track of him and found out he had passed away.

Here's an open question. I had corresponded with a fellow , I think in law enforcement, that had taken the Lebman Winchesters apart, there in Tucson. He wrote me a letter (s) about it, how easy Lebman had changed over the 07. I thought it was John Henwood possibly, maybe not. Anyone have information about who that was. I've gone thru a lot of stuff can't find the letters.

OCM

Frank,

Model 07 serial number 49867 was serialized February 6th, 1941.

As mentioned in my post 49223 was serialized on February 9th 1939, almost exactly 2 years difference and 644 serial numbers apart. Clearly by this stage the '07 was not a big seller. It would seem unlikely Winchester made any more after manufacture stopped in 1942, although rifles may have been assembled from parts.

I have got all of the late Mr Henwood's books, they are well worth having in your library.

Estimates as to manufacture are just that. The date taken from a factory record in this case the polishing room ledger - which are in fact pocket notebook size, at least the ones I handled at Cody where - are factual.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Thanks much Alan!

Sandy, what’s the story with the compensator on this gun? Did you fabricate a comp for your gun or are there actual comps like that out there?

Edited by Mike Hammer

Got mine from Bull Creek Arms, in Idaho - Tom is the smith there I have two of them, the one you see and the one I built in conjunction with CJL to clone the Dillinger/Lebman one that's in Tucson.

What I did was send a complete 07 up to Tom, he cut the barrel and threaded it, checked everything out, replaced some stuff and sent it back. I already had the forearm in metal and the long comp- Then built from there. Quite a little process. You've seen it before on the HS Lebman sight in the outlaw/gangster side.

post-191087-0-85394000-1501883885_thumb.jpg