Photo

Op Rod Wear

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Normal1959

Normal1959

• Board Benefactor
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Guns, collecting and playing poker.

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:50 AM

We had better be able to afford op rods since this is only 400 rounds.

Eric

Attached Files

#2 Normal1959

Normal1959

• Board Benefactor
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:21 AM

Anybody know the average service life of the op rod?

Bolt looks like new.

Eric

#3 MG08

MG08

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

What "kind" of gun is it installed in ?   Original Maremount. RIA or a post sample build ?   Something looks to be out of alignment to create that wear. 

#4 Normal1959

Normal1959

• Board Benefactor
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

What "kind" of gun is it installed in ?   Original Maremount. RIA or a post sample build ?   Something looks to be out of alignment to create that wear. 

RIA and I might be mistaken on the round count. I have 2 m60's and i'm not sure I did put in a new op rod. I started second guessing myself. The other is a new England group.

Eric

#5 MG08

MG08

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 450 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

We had three RIA guns back in the late 80s.  Lots of issues with running "correctly"  We ended up having an opportunity for a Army Armorer to go through them, and he ended up replacing a lot of the internals.  Seems the parts were not "Milspec", or were reject govt parts.  This could be the case for this part.  Also look at the receiver and see if there is corresponding wear to the op rod .  The wear on the tower could be the Op rod or could be the bolt having issues.   Assuming you dont feather the trigger, Op rods should get 10s of thousands of rds before issues crop up.  you might want to review you lubrication plan and ensure you are correctly lubricating the critical points.

#6 Normal1959

Normal1959

• Board Benefactor
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:15 PM

We had three RIA guns back in the late 80s.  Lots of issues with running "correctly"  We ended up having an opportunity for a Army Armorer to go through them, and he ended up replacing a lot of the internals.  Seems the parts were not "Milspec", or were reject govt parts.  This could be the case for this part.  Also look at the receiver and see if there is corresponding wear to the op rod .  The wear on the tower could be the Op rod or could be the bolt having issues.   Assuming you dont feather the trigger, Op rods should get 10s of thousands of rds before issues crop up.  you might want to review you lubrication plan and ensure you are correctly lubricating the critical points.

Thanks for the advice. You would be amazed at what I don't know. I just dove right in and have made a few mistakes but having fun.

Eric

#7 michaelkih

michaelkih

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

I have a nice double notch E6 op rod for sale if you want a spare.  500 rounds, and it is basically new with just the normal wear one would see at 500 rounds.  Message me your phone number if you are interested, and I can text you pictures.  $250, and it's yours.

#8 Normal1959

Normal1959

• Board Benefactor
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:03 PM

I have a nice double notch E6 op rod for sale if you want a spare.  500 rounds, and it is basically new with just the normal wear one would see at 500 rounds.  Message me your phone number if you are interested, and I can text you pictures.  $250, and it's yours.

TY very much and fair price but I loaded up with like 10 of them.  half and half double notch. I went thru my fear of spare parts phase. lol   Thanks

Eric

#9 michaelkih

michaelkih

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 601 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:00 AM

No problem.  Good luck with your 60.

#10 HPRA

HPRA

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:27 AM

;Question for you '60 guys. Are you using moly grease on the op rod lug where the bolt cams ?

#11 Normal1959

Normal1959

• Board Benefactor
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:22 AM

I am now using Lubriplate 130 on all moving parts and wear has gone down 99%

Eric

#12 MGTedFL

MGTedFL

• Regular Group
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

Mil-Comm TW25B Synthetic Grease at all contact and wear points. Mil-Comm Oil or CLP on everything else. I have an RIA, which was originally in the E1 configuration, except when I got her, she had already been upgraded internally to an E3 op-rod, new bolt, spring and thicker spring rod. She was low-mileage with a tight RIA trunion. Original bolt and op-rod still look good. I swapped the top cover for the billet style and alternate between the original E1 barrel, an E3 (handle removed) and a custom modified E-1 Commando-style (shortened, no bi-pod). Good supply of spares and a mix of E3, E4 and E6 parts/accy. to swap-out...just like my kid's LEGO. What a great platform, as I can reconfigure just a little bit ..... for every shoot.  All configurations shoot great, so long as you stick to your lube plan & keep her clean, especially the gas-tube & piston.....and use good ammo. 

#13 michaelkih

michaelkih

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 601 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:38 AM

I just use gun oil on everything. No grease. Not sure if that's bad?

#14 Normal1959

Normal1959

• Board Benefactor
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

I just use gun oil on everything. No grease. Not sure if that's bad?

I am grappling with the same issue. I notice with the grease, my gun slows down and gets a ton dirtier. Would love to just use oil but still undecided.

Eric

#15 MG08

MG08

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

the oil does not stay on the wear points well.  It does not take a lot of grease, but some good quality like Militech or SLP 2000 ( both synthetics) wear well and reduce wear and tear.