New Member, New Gun, Help?

Hey everyone, I posted yesterday in the Ingram M6 forum, and everyone's being alot of help, just wanted to throw this question out to a broader group in case one of you may have some extra insight. My great uncle passed away in '91 and recently while cleaning my great aunts attic out I came across his .38 special service revolver and an Ingram M6 military with modified police grip (been up there since '81 she thinks?). He was Navy WWII and local police afterwards. She gave me both since I had JUST aquired my FFL and purchased my first .22 (the M6 has been deactivated/disabled with some sort of block in the base of the barrel). If I can't find his paperwork, Is there any other way to go about registering it or digging in to records so I can bring this gun back to life and get it unblocked, as a family/inheritance/transfer. I'd hate to see it just hang on the wall or end up back in an attic. Thanks everyone, So far you've all been a great help to this newbie.

------ I believe emmagee1917 just answered my main question to the T in my other post, of course any other random info is appreciated, thanks again everyone! -----

Edited by theend33