Manuals And Thompsons: A Calendar Photograph?

For those of you who don't know me very well yet, I have a passion for paper items associated with firearms, especially vintage firearm manuals. Thompson manuals and catalogs are of particularly keen interest to me, and I've had many different original specimens over the years that I've bought and sold. I decided to play around with my digital camera a bit, and came up with the still life photo below. It includes my Thompsons, and the manuals I have at the moment. I know the guns are just West Hurley Thompsons, but you make do with what you've got. I bought the WH M1 Full Auto in 1988, and just bought the M-1927A1 semi-auto last month.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/Thompson_Pictures/WH_Thompsons_Manuals.jpg

Anyway, I just thought I'd share what I think is a pretty cool picture with everyone. Maybe it could be a part of the calendar that has been discussed in this forum recently? Maybe I could superimpose a couple of 21's and 28's to make it a little more correct for the age of the paper material?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David,

Nice collection and photo. What is the name of the bottom Handbook, the one with the fold out? I don't think I have seen this one before.

Thanks for sharing.

TD,

The manual with the foldout is part of a 3-volume series published by the British publisher Gale and Polden during WWII called "The Armourer's Handbook," by Labore. The Thompson section is in "Part II - Machine Carbines and Pistols."

If you would like a digital copy of the Thompson section, send me an e-mail. As long as your e-mail can receive about a 5 meg file, I can send it to you.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

An endorsement for Dave. I like to have the original manuals that go with my guns. To date I've bought probably 6 manuals from him (various Thompsons, M2 Carbine, Grease Gun, Sterling, etc), and Nelson and Musgrave's Submachine Guns of the World, Vol I and II. They're a "must" for the collector and just interesting in general even if you're not a collector. He typically under describes the quality of his manuals or books. Whatever you buy will be in better condition than advertised. I have no idea how he finds this stuff, but you will not be disappointed with what you buy. Absolutely no connection, just a very satisifed custome

He buys some of it on Ebay and some on Gunbroker....this I know because he's kicked my butt in more than one auction!

I just wish I knew more of the values of this stuff so I at least had a chance against RKI's like him!!

Keep on bidding, Dave! One of these days I'll beat ya!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

john

Beat me out a couple days back. Oh well, at least it went to someone who will take care of it. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Dude, I like your pic and think it would look fine in a calendar.

It's neat taking pics of guns. They don't talk back and always sit still...