WTS: Colt Thompson 21/28 Navy Overstamp, s/n: 7506

I am brokering the sale of a Colt 21/28 Navy Overstamp, s/n 7506.

Thanks to the forum members here that helped fill in some of the gaps.

I have taken a number of photos, both with and without flash to try to capture as much detail as possible.

Photos can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nED2IpyYs5P2g-QK1_i_7UwulIFIbLF9

According to Gordon Herigstad's book on Colt Thompson serial numbers, this gun was 1 of 3 originally shipped to the Harris County Sheriff’s Office, Houston, TX on April 14th 1934.

There is speculation Sheriff T.A. Binford may have ordered the 3 Thompson in response to Bonnie and Clyde, who had just killed two Texas Patrolmen on April 1st, 1934. There was a lot of publicity and public outrage and many police departments answered by increasing their available firepower.

The gun remained with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office until being transferred to the Chief Deputy Sheriff sometime during Sheriff “Buster” Kern’s administration (Kern was Sheriff from 1949-1973). The seller acquired the gun from the Chief Deputy’s son in 1982. That son went on to later become the Police Chief in Katy, TX. This gun has been in the Houston area it’s entire life and has strong ties to the law enforcement community.

It appears that the stock was swapped for a WWII vintage one at some point. The black crinkle finished oiler contained in the buttstock is also WWII era. All the other parts look original and proper for the gun, including the 2 piece actuator, bolt, blish lock, and complete grip frame.

The gun will come with one WWII 50 round drum as shown in the pictures.

Price is $40,000 plus shipping and insurance.

The gun will transfer on a tax-paid form 4 from the current owner.

Richard Trenholme
Houston Arms & Training
sales@houstonarms.com
(281) 743-4172

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

The gun is still available. Willing to entertain reasonable offers.

Thanks for the bump - I've been meaning to refresh the thread and get some new eyes on it.

Richard Trenholme
Houston Arms & Training
sales@houstonarms.com
(281) 743-4172