Could A Wh M1 Be Worth 14k?

let me tell you a little war tale.back in the day.when they released the wes-hurlee m1 model's for the first time, ira called me and asked if i wanted to buy any.i guess he knew i was a thompson buyer then.and not afraid to open the wallet.{ all of us big time ins.agency owner's did not know what to do with all that cash then,wink!}

some bought thompson's!!

so i said yep ship me ten of them...and a few 28's....

since i can't look like tony the lip at the next gun show. and have to have a few tommie's to present along with four nice colt cased set's...the big daddy day's when one was great to have.

after they arrived half parked and the other half blued.. i liked them...

at the big retail of $1,200.00 or so... and everybody said i want a colt...wes -hurlee not for me..

so i moved half to recon and the other half to another wisc.dealer.along with about twenty f.b.i.replica case's..

and everybody was happy...i made enough to buy maybe a c-drum at the time..

now today 2005 everybody has the hurlee fever!!

gotta get one..pay $10,000 to $20,000 whatever...

it is a sickness pure and simple..and unless you go cold turkey........it will continue on...

i see you bought the one for $10,000.00 fair considering todays idiotic pricing.

i valued them at half of what any colt ever went for..

and i was buying up nice colt's for $5,000.00 and my cheapest 21a was $900.00 not too many have beat that price yet that i am aware of.considering new in 1929 was 250.00 shipped with extra's..the chief had to tell me what they paid and had it on the receipt..today i'd pay$18,000.00 to have that gun back. maybe since it was my first colt.and it had some history to it.

{see i gave up the secret of price on a historical 21a thompson..}

enjoy what you bought..don't worry whatever you see advertised.anybody can ask what they want...

after i finish my new place in the desert.near the missle base..i will want a million... { anybody can ask whatever they want.}i don't expect many taker's, guess why?i'm not selling!wink!! and when you decide to move it.and you will, never say never!you will have had fun.and maybe just maybe make the buck's back and some extra...

unless you want to trade it in for a colt.then from there it is all down hill..you then have a incureable disease.

and the only way out is d........well i won't go into that.

have fun. take care,ron

I like my WH M1, which I bought in 1988 for the $1200 price that Ron mentioned. It runs great, and I've never had any problems with it. It has the parts in it that were there when I bought it NIB.

The fact that they are now C&R guns, in my opinion, will place a slight premium on them for some buyers. $14K is probably going to be the going price for a nice one, if not already, probably very soon. Whether that makes sense to everyone, or not, that is the market at work. Some may argue this point, and whether a 3rd generation Thompson should be worth that amount. I doesn't matter. There are less than 700 of the WH M1's available.

My very good friend in town also has a WH M1, which he purchased NIB in 1991, and his has been a great weapon as well.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

dave glad you got one and at a great price.."she's a keeper" if i said he's a keeper would that be gay for a thompson??{not that there is anything wrong with that! wink!}

also you got some great book's.lucky i still kept the library.

"In the future only the rich will own Thompson's"

kinda orson welle's huh??

take care,ron

You know there is one important point that seems to get ignored in all this banter about what is worth what,..and that is when it comes to `Transferables`,the majority of the value of the firearm is the ...paperwork..period. Go price an uncut posty..M3 Greaser $1000.00-$1500.00..MP44 $2500.00...look at the Thompsons in the overseas auctions...$2000.00 -$4000.00 for Colts...bottom line is the real equity is in the paperwork..plain and simple...this is a sad fact,but undeniable...so relax in your purchases and all this speculation..the paper ain`t gonna change... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

The allmighty stamp.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/mbsennett1/NFAstamp.jpg

What is worth more, a WHM1 or a sideplate 1919? The M1 can be carried easily, comes with a sling. Magazines can be easily reloaded, no special loader required.

A 1919 requires some sort of mount, tripod, vehicle mount, a support crew of two. A loader is required to keep it fed. A vehicle is recommended for these due to its weight and accessories, like a tank, halftrack, jeep, or weapons carrier.

I love my M1, but I find myself in "need" of a 1919. Any 1919 owners ever find themselves in "need" of a Thompson?

QUOTE (Norm @ Jul 9 2005, 07:56 PM)
The allmighty stamp.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/mbsennett1/NFAstamp.jpg

Hey I know that number!!! I'm pickin mine up today from Merle.... Also has two reworked drums for me also...... Pictures and maybe video tonight!

Z3,

Glad to hear that "pin-gun" (that is what mine has been called) is almost in your hands! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I'll be looking for a video and some pics.

Now I'm off to Indy!

Norm

Actually ron if you want i can sell em on ebaY for you... they bring pretty good money..... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

holy batstuff...now the folk's are collecting used written on stamp's from the gov. there is no hope or cure...

i better pull out those auto ord.letterhead's.and say high bidder!!

however they will sit in the old file cabinet...as i can't see selling old paper......

"have fun enjoy the future ,and never forget the past."

Norm, Indy? Better get in touch when you get here! Are you going to be in the Indianapolis area?

Ron, if you want to send one of those letterhead papers my way........always a must for the collection.

You guys are kidding about the stamps, right? Under what circumstances would you no longer need those stamps on your transfers, so you could sell them?

Yeppers, all the tax stamps says is that you paid the tax... Once the gun is gone, no more need for the stamp... Some who buy them on ebaY may attach them to a bogus form... How many times have you had someone look at your form, let alone srutiniZe it?