What Is Your Favorite Thompson Movie?

I think my favorite Thompson movie is 'Objective Burma' ('Guadalcanal diary'is in second place). I guess you can tell that my favorite Thompson is the M1 version! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

My favorite Thompson movies are 'Kelly's Heros', which started my extreme like of the M1 tommy, 'Saving Private Ryan', and the 'Band of Brothers' series. 'Objective Burma' is a very good movie, but I have not seen it in a very long time. I am waiting on the movie based on the great book 'Ghost Soldiers' to come out soon. I hope it will have some good Thompson shots in it. They were used by a number of the 6th Rangers in the raid.

Scott

For me it would have to be (and this is very subjective) that three movies tie for first: 1.)Miller's Crossing(1990), 2.)Kelly's Heroes(1970), and 3.)Legends Of The Fall(1994).

Here is the cover photo for Miller's Crossing, a truly powerful film. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Miller__s2.jpg

"bataan' robert taylor, Lloyd nolan,maybe because i owned one of the m.g.m.guns from that movie...

also charles bronson,tony curtis,in 'You can't win them all" the most thompson action in a movie,even have them packed in crate's,thompson gunner's on horseback........and a good scene of a merc shooting one in each hand with drum's at a plane,

but in "bataan"they shoot down a zero with a thompson...he is the same actor who played in the "fighting sullivan's.he was the father of the five brother's....sad but good movie....

and "mobster's and "dillinger'with warren oates ,ben johnson,and richard dreyfuss, all good action movies,along with 'edge of darkness"

even "road to perdition"and this one has the first silent thompson action,{in the rain}near the end.........wink

anyhow a hundred others i could mention.......and remember even cagney never fired one in all his movies,just carried one in G-men.............in the backseat of the ford...............take care,ron

funny story you mention 'MILLER'S CROSSING"

bill helmer and myself,went to see that pic together when it was released in some old broken down chicago theatre...at the time it seemed CLASSIC............seeing this pic with the guy who wrote the book..........

i popped for the corn...............tho stale,however it was a great movie.......even bill said that was a good movie.......

good time's..............take care,ron

Oh, by all means "Millers Crossing"...

Some of the best Thompson footage ( really surreal, how many rounds did that L type hold when he was dumping it into the car??!!)..

Good stuff!

Zamm

"The Devil's Brigade" William Holden, Vince Edwards, Cliff Robertson.

WWII action, lots of Thompsons.

Earle

I must have been the only one here who has seen 'Windtalkers'. The NCO's assigned to protect the code talkers have Thompsons, and use them quite well, in and around the other marines Garands & carbines, in desperate fighting with the Japanese. N/Cage even changes magazines many times.........I must be a lot younger than you old guys........jw http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Junglewalk,

"Windtalkers" was a good movie with excellent Tommy scenes, especially in the begining, but it died at the box office.

Bronson's "You can't win em all" was also a cool movie, but they never put it on TV anymore.

"Castle Keep" has good all around WWII gun scenes, especially a Browning .50 downing an armed observation plane.

"Men in War" has Aldo Ray wielding a 1928A1 with great precesion against the Commies in Korea.

Alan Ladd's film "Thunder In the East" is all about a stash of 1928 Thompsons fought being over between rebels and an Indian ruler.

"Crash Dive" with Tyrone Power & Dana Andrews has 1928 TSMGs with L drums. They might have been Colt Navy guns, but they had vertical grips

hey guys for general thompson's sake.........i was not going to list all the thompson movie's............i have seen and just about have them all.............on dvd and vhs,and God forbid!! beta!!!

they are all good.....and bronson's "machinegun kelly" is great...he uses a mod.27 semi...................and even robert blake wielded one..................lets see how good you guys are,along with nick adam's,robert conrad, and fabian forte.guess the two pic's................

wink!!

even andy griffiths barney fife....used one...........yep!!!barney watch wer'sya points that thang!!

take care,ron

That was the 'Young Dillinger' movie with old Nick"I'll take a shot to the head" Adams. very bad movie with the only factual thing behind it was he used the name Dillinger.

Man O man, I forgot about 'Farewell to the King'. It is one of my favorites. 'Windtalkers' was an ok movie. It did have some good scenes in it. I was wondering about the 500 shot 50 round drum he had in his tommy in the opening scene. Where can one be obtained and how many were produced http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif ? I have not seen too many of the gangster movies listed here. Oh yea, did I see right, or am I crazy in that in the movie 'U571' did they have folding stock Thompsons in it? I could have swore I saw some.

Scott

How 'bout something on TV? I just watched Mail Call and Ermy got to play with a Tommy and a MP-40(?). Question ... who has to be on hand when those guns are used on TV or in films? The owner, the owner's employee, or what? I know they just can't drop them off and lock 'em up at night.

"They Were Expendable", John Wayne, 1943.

Stranded on Bataan after his PT boats were no longer running, JW mows 'em down with his Thompson. Great TSMG scenes and sounds.

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Jan 13 2004, 06:53 AM)
That was the 'Young Dillinger' movie with old Nick"I'll take a shot to the head" Adams. very bad movie with the only factual thing behind it was he used the name Dillinger.

yes thats the one,but lets not forget the man,in "the big house"wallace beery...............with his 21 a....now thats a good one,sheer action against a 30 cal beltfeed........take care,ron

On tv shows I never heard mention is the UPN 1993ish? show "The Untouchables" Starring: Tom Amandes as Elliot Ness, William Forsythe as Big Al Capone, and John Rhys Davies as the Chicago cop Mike Malone. Which I thought was a good program-(and would like a copy.) Than for tv you got that one episode of Star trek 1960ish..........adlake