Hyman S. Lebman, Gunsmith To The Outlaws

• 2 weeks later...

Was responding and everything went poof ?

Ron- I had a Pal over Friday for a couple cold ones, showed him my " new " 07 Lebman build- He asked if it was a real Dillinger gun, haaa, he knows me well. Nope, wish it was..

Hacksaw Jim: About removing the barrel. Henwood said not to put the receiver in a vice as the metal is to thin, can warp it or something. I did put my other 07 in a padded vice to unscrew the compensator, but just enough to hold it.

Another view.....

OCM

DSCN8336.JPG

Hacksaw-

You ever going to do a Colt mini ?? It's on your bucket list-

Hacksaw-

You ever going to do a Colt mini ?? It's on your bucket list-

Real rap.

i got shit going on this year that's gonna cost me somewhere between $10-25K for a replacement leachbed.

I got $$$ going into my other property just so it's up to specs so i can sell it, big profit but i work/i'm beat . mortgage companies are the real gangsters .

overtime at my job ( big $$$$ ) is gone.

just going with the zen approach.

wanted an fg-42 repro this year but i'll settle for new boot insoles.

i always have $$$, but i wont dishonor my family. catch my drift.

family comes first . you don't disrespect family.

Edited by StooperZero

This past weekend I had the opportunity to examine one of the FG-42 semi replicas that Stooper mentions above. I'd never seen one before--man, what a nice piece! Fit, finish, workmanship very impressive. The owner praised all aspects of it and said the manufacturer was great to work with. It's not often a semi. copy stops them in their tracks at Big Sandy, but this one did.

Not my thing at the moment ( still chasing cops and robbers stuff) but it sure might be in the future.

Excuse the thread detour--

Ian on the SMG video is successfully hitting 8/10 at 300 yds. Wow Nelly.

it's no slouch.

there's a phenomena that unless you're using a cartridge bigger than your index finger you cant hit or do any real damage at those distances. I wouldnt want to be in eyesight of someone shooting at me with an '07 .

• 3 weeks later...
Beautifully done replica! Got to dig mine out of the safe.

Labor of historical love, I guess. Couple of us here on the gangster area ,are doing these and others. Small group, but we got Monitors, Colt Minis, Lebman stuff.. etc.

Fun as hell !!!!!!!!

OCM

I saw the previews on SON. CJL emailed me said it was a later production 07, can't remember exactly what now, bigger front end or something.

Pretty classy they'd use a Winchester 07 in the first place and toss in the 10 rd magazine.

I think it's the buttstock that looks more recent. Also cool that he's using a pre1911 Colt semi-auto possibly a 1902. The Son is set in 1849 and 1915, the first couple of episodes anyway.

Some good stuff from our Pal, FBI guy, Larry Wack.

He sent me a long list from the FBI files showing the gun inventory of HS Lebman from his purchases at Wolf & Klar !! Going thu it to compare know numbers and all. Wonderful find. Lot of factory nickel stuff.....

Larry, what a guy, thanks.

( some new stuff I just got recently for my outlaw collection- older Super 38 & 45 Auto with Ivory )

DSCN8357.JPG

DSCN8363.JPG

Edited by OCM

• 3 weeks later...

New 10 rd magazine for my Winchester 07 Lebman conversion, arrived yesterday. Fits the patina of the gun perfectly I think. This is the gun build I did , with help from CJL, to replicate a Dillinger-Lebman ones that were recovered in Tucson. My intensions were to make it look like it had been stored in the backseat of Dillinger's 1933 Essex Terraplane since 1934 and well used thru the years.

Tom, at Bull Creek, went thru the gun to get it in safe firing condition. Haven't run anything thru it yet.

( excuse the piece of fuzz on the receiver, not much of a photographer )

OCM

DSCN8376.JPG

Hyman Saul Lebman: 6 maybe as many as 8, 07s ( total guess )

California John Lebman ( CJL): Don't know, but a LOT. Large collection of rare guns related to the 30s road bandits and lawmen.

6 or 8? Man oh man, where are they all now? I can only think of the one in Tucson and the one at the FBI? Could you elaborate on the rest? Thanks!

John

John, just a guess on my part. Floyd had one ( and a Colt mini) and some scattered in Mexico. I think Rick C. had mentioned some with the old Villa gang also.

Makes sense, some were tied into the Nelson group, ( Floyd ? ) from Wolf & Klar. Even the Barrington battle.

Helmer, Bart maybe ,know more about that ten I.

Out on a limb on this -

I think the two came from Pierpont, on the Tucson group, that throws another odd thing in this.

My time machine cop- out on this .

John, just a guess on my part. Floyd had one ( and a Colt mini) and some scattered in Mexico. I think Rick C. had mentioned some with the old Villa gang also.

Makes sense, some were tied into the Nelson group, ( Floyd ? ) from Wolf & Klar. Even the Barrington battle.

Helmer, Bart maybe ,know more about that ten I.

Out on a limb on this -

I think the two came from Pierpont, on the Tucson group, that throws another odd thing in this.

Floyd had one? When and where was it seized? When he was killed he had two pistols, one a full-automatic.

Lebman definitely made two for the Dillinger Gang, one for the Barker-Karpis Gang, and one for the Arsenal Gang (one should be with the Tuscon PD, two with the FBI, one with the NYPD, if they still all have them)

He might have made one for the Nelson Gang (Carroll might have had one in his car, but the description is very scant), one for the Dillinger-Nelson Gang (Caroll used a .351 during two robberies, but it was never found and might have been an ordinary Model 07), one for the Rettich Gang (the description sounds like it, but I have not seen it).

That's at least four, perhaps seven, possibly more.

Cheers

HANS

Have to agree with that, 6, 7, 8 ?

Talking with CJL on this subject, thought that possibly Lebman had Monarch or someone cast a bunch of these aluminum forends ( bunch ?) as when you do castings you don't want to do a " one-off " as it gets expensive. ( potmetal ?)

Dillinger had already mentioned to Nelson, how expensive Lebman was charging.

Seems like everywhere there was a outlaw shootout and guns recovered, there was an 07 sitting there.

OCM

Thanks - super interesting stuff!

jl7422-

I was ( can't think of the term) amazed I guess with how much the Tucson PD marked the gun up. Definitely wanted the world to know it belonged to them . Don't understand why they felt it necessary to do this, Lebman certainly wasn't going to take claim, nor could the FBI if they had thoughts about that. The two of them traded the Dillinger weapons back and forth, FBI even loaning stuff to display at different headquarters.

Initially Gordon H picked up on that which I think set the issues rolling on who gets what. The pissing match started when the Feds decided to lay claim on the " loaned " guns. Then Auburn, Indiana got into the fray with their Thompson # 8946 being Shanghaied by the FBI.

The Lebman 351 in Tucson has both sides of the buttstock branded in large letters ( 1" ) City of Tucson, also the receiver has Tucson PD, very poorly hand etched in the receiver, without looking again, I think both sides.

Always wondered how much Lebman charged Nelson and Dillinger for various guns. I'd of asked Lebman for my money back as the custom aluminum forend paint was pealing off very quick.

Typical tho, warranty ran out just as problems started.

OCM