Wwii L Drums

Just to close the loop on this thread, I spoke with Tracie this past weekend about the United Specialties drum variations. He was able to confirm the pedigree of each of the five variations he wrote about in TCN.

Also, I need to amend my comments about the variations identified by Doug Richardson. The "new" variation he wrote about in TCN as after he published the second edition of his drum book. His third edition, which I have, does include that variation. Therefore, his book identifies three unique variations as I noted in the earlier post. Just wanted to keep the record straight.....

TSMG 28,

In DR's third edition (1996) "Drum Magazines," I can find only two L drums he identifies as Bridgeport's. In fact in DR's explanation of the Goll drum he states,

"The most interesting aspect of the Goll drum is the fact that it was made without the STANDARD COVER MARKINGS. For this reason it has been included here as an authentic variation of the standard Bridgeport drum."

Am I missing the page that DR identifies this third version?

But is Tracie going to put out a TCN article addressing the confusion he started by mislabeling photos in his book about the no "NO" numbered third variation of the Colt drum as being a Worcester?

Arthur,

As I indicated in my previous post, it appears from the pictures in Doug's book that the Goll drum was made from a third variation drum based on the cover markings. Since Doug did not recgonize this as a legitimate variation, he included the proper text that you quoted. If the Goll drum is indeed a one-off, then it is the unigue variant that Doug calls it.

I will let you discuss with Tracie the issue of the pictures in American Legend....