Colt Thompsons Between S/n 15000 And 15040

Mike - Thanks for locating 15040. Nick now has another chapter for his next book. Does your new friend with the expensive parts kit have a C Drum in his ammo pouch?

Chopper28 - You are so right! If he only knew....

John Jr - I wonder how many more of Mike's new friends are wondering around toting some American Thunder?

Arthur - That is why Mike's new friends are on guard duty. EBay is worldwide; Colt parts and Roger's book will be flooding the market soon! Do you think engineers like Eickhoff and Payne would have approved of the duct tape...or would that be a Goll field accessory?

and to think i mentioned "duct tape" before i even saw the pic...and he's got freakin duct tape on it,musta been that ugly kahr grip.so he wanted to cover it.and of course he lost the buttstock in some poker game,wink!!!

i would like to know the number on that one.......maybe a marine gun from the early days...the colts did travel.......rOn

I've got a fore grip and a buttstock I'll sell him for about a years income. Oh, his drums are all early Colt's. I'll be about 100 miles from Haiti this summer, maybe I'll stop by to have a look. Maybe I'll have my picture of me guarding the library.

• 10 years later...

Very cool. Is this Colt Thompson located in the United States, and is it transferable under the NFA?

It's in very poor condition, and has a WWII era stock on it, and what appears to be a West Hurley front grip. Looks like it was probably stored in the case shown in the pictures, and got wet. That being said, I think we only know of one remaining Colt Thompson in the 15000 to 15040 serial number range prior to this example. I need to read back through this 2004 thread to refresh my memory.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David just posted the two most important questions, so have deleted them from my post.

Also:

Live or Dewat?

So far, looks like:

A Colt overstamp receiver, grip frame with Colt levers.

GI mag catch, buttstock, and magazines.

Unpinned West Hurley comp, and a very poor imitation of a front grip.

Some significant rust over a poor polish and reblue.

Hopefully wasn't actually stored in that case, with the loose butt stock and magazines.

If you can get some sharper close up photos, they would be helpful in determining value.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by mnshooter

Bichito,

You have an interesting Thompson submachine gun. What makes the gun noteworthy is the very high serial number - NO 15015. How this equates to value depends on where you live. And if there is a Thompson community like in the United States that collects these guns. In the USA this gun would easily bring $20,000 - just because of its serial number. If it were in much better condition and contained all Colt era parts, the price would be quite a lot more. A gun in this condition in a commonly found serial number range may not sell for $20,000. I recently saw a Colt in similar condition bring less. All that said, there is no way to legally import NO 15015 into the USA for collector ownership.

I am curious about the serial number on the frame, sometimes referred to as the lower frame. Can you remove the buttstock and tell us the serial number. Or better yet, post a picture. The comments by mnshooter, above, are correct as to the non-original parts.

I appreciate your post about NO 15015. I did a story several years ago for Small Arms Review magazine about Colt NO 15025. I also did a story about a Savage Thompson, S-15043, mentioned earlier in this thread.

I would like to discuss with you any interest you may have about me doing a story on your NO 15015. It is certainly an historic firearm; I am sure the story would be well received by Thompson collectors worldwide. Contact me at tkd5501@fuse.net if you would like to discuss having NO 15015 featured in a story.

Thanks again for posting.

TD.

Tom Davis