What are the rules an SOT must follow to keep MG's at his house?

tricky9914

Hello,

I am a 01 FFL with class 3 SOT. I currently own transferable machine guns that I transferred from my business (store) to my personal trust. My gun shop has its own location.

Now, I know that an SOT can keep MG's stored at locations, other than the FFL's place of business. What are the rules on this, specifically? I know I would have to leave a record and a note in my A&D book as to the location of the items, but do I need to send a letter to the ATF and notify them of their location? Am I allowed to keep "personal" MG's at my house with no intent of selling them? Can I keep pre-86 samples at my home?

Thanks for any information!

As an FFL/SOT you can keep your inventory MGs wherever you want without notification of ATF. Keep in mind that ATF will regard other locations as extensions of your premises and will claim the the legal authority to conduct an inspection at that location. If you don't want them in your house don't have any inventory there.

Your personal MGs must be clearly identified as non-inventory if in the same location as inventory. Transfer status doesn't matter in this regard.

If there have been changes in the storage regs I have not come across them.

FWIW