M2 Parts in M1 Carbine. Legality?

Good Evening everyone,

I recently took apart my M1 Carbine and thoroughly inspected each part. Its a mixmaster gun that was put together at some point using a variety of different manufacturer parts. Upon closer inspection, I have found that the slide is a type 6 slide with the milling to allow for the disconnector lever, the hammer is an m2 hammer, and the trigger frame has the milling in the mag well to accomadate the selector spring. Of course there is no disconnector block with plunger spring, nor a selector with 9 spring, nor a disconnector lever. The stock does have the cutout for a selector, so my assumption is that at one point this gun was configured as an M2, but who knows.

My question is, Can I legally own these m2 parts even though it is configured as a Semi M1? I'm a novice when it comes to the M1/M2 carbines and i'm curious if i'm treading shady waters with these components installed and having the milling in the trigger frame for an m2 conversion. Thank you all for the help.

-Broadarrow

Yes , replace the hammer . NOT because it's illegal , but the M2 hammer without the disconnector does not fit right , it's too narrow .The "illegal " parts are the selector , 9-spring , M2 hammer , disconnector , disconnector spring , rocker arm assembly , and M2 sear . All must be present to be illegal ( that's why sellers are always short at least one piece , if they had it , they'd be selling MGs ) . M2 stock , M2 slide , M2 triggerguard are all needed but are not counted as parts in the " kit " .

it does not have to make sence , it's the law .

Chris

Upon further investigation, the hammer is not an m2 hammer because it does lack the machining to accommodate the disconnect or block and plunger. Thank you all for the help, these m1s Are pretty cool just looking at all the different parts. Actually pretty fun deciphering which variant each part is. Crazy how the m2 was such a quick and easy conversion from my understanding.

"All original" is a very deceptive term. All original WW2 could mean that all parts on a carbine were made during WW2, and made a total mixed up carbine.

All original as it left the manufacturer is another matter altogether. These carbines are very scarce.

One of the first red flags is the bayonet attachment. Over 95 % of the carbines used in WW2 did not have a bayonet attachment.

So if you are looking at a gun with a bayonet attachment its probably been thru rebuild and will not contain parts as it left the factory.

I don't know what you want to collect but you are just at the tip of a very large iceberg.

Suggest you monitor the Carbine Club website for a year or 2.

Jim C

All GI carbines were made during WW2. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx All carbine receivers were made during WW2, but barrels, trigger groups, slides, stocks, M2 kits and other parts were made after WW2. I have a barrel stamped SA 1-51 as proof. Jim C

Edited by jim c 351