WTS: WW2 Sealed Can of .45 M1911 Ammo - 600rd - $360

Hey guys, David gave me permission to sell a 600rd sealed canister of .45 M1911 Ball ammo. EC-5-44, I think read that EC means Chrysler??

$360 shipped.

Thanks, Rob

post-235917-0-11731800-1431904136_thumb.jpg

post-235917-0-82422300-1431904148_thumb.jpg

Edited by renderman

This ammo is highly corrosive.

A person had better thoroughly clean his gun upon arriving home. If you fail to clean you will have a thoroughly pitted barrel the next day.

If a person wants to spend $34.33 per box in order to have a sealed can for display, then go for it.

But for shooting ammo, better think again.

Jim C

I guess today most people do not have experience with corrosive ammo unless they

are shooting old military ammo from Eastern Europe. But as Jim C. says you cannot under-estimate

the damage that can happen in only a matter of hours.

Corrosive ammo uses primers that contain a salt that is vaporized and spread throughout the

bore and on any other surface the powder gases come in contact with - chamber, bolt face, firing

pin, receiver, gas tubes, cylinders, and pistons, etc. The salt attracts moisture and then becomes

an acid that corrodes steel. Over-night is all it takes.

This is why Garand gas cylinders are stainless steel, and why gas pistons on Garands and

BAR's are plated. Back in the old days when you could still examine truly original (as opposed

to picked over and "restored") Garands it was commonplace to handle a rifle in excellent

condition but with excessive pitting on the shaft of the op rod behind the piston as this area

was often not properly cleaned in the field.

Original G.I. bore cleaner will dissolve and remove the salt and I have heard that cleaners like

Windex would as well - the cleaner needs to be water based to dissolve the salt.

To put this in the context of a Thompson you'd have to strip and thoroughly clean the barrel,

bore, compensator, bolt, firing pin, spring, extractor, and actuator, and clean the chamber, feedramp,

ejection port, and bolt pocket. Then check it every day for several days to make sure its not

rusting. Oiling parts does not save you because oil does not dissolve and remove the salt.

Bob

Not a big deal to shoot if you clean it. I bought a bunch of corrosive .45 a while ago. I fired some and it stinks, shoots real choppy as it has a delay. ( it's the French stuff - it was cheap) But I just strip the gun in the sink and scrub it up in hot water, dry it off with compressed air, then oil everything and blow the excess off with compressed air. No big deal. I do it with the CZ-52s as well. No rust or other problems with the guns. I've been using this method for years.

I think you've made the point. When people think of cleaning a gun they think about

a cleaning rod, not disassembling and washing the parts in a sink of hot water. And

most people don't have an air compressor and gun to blow dry parts. Your technique

is a good one, however, I do not think I'd use it on a $20,000 Thompson...if I had one.

Ammo that "stinks, shoots real choppy and has a delay" sounds like ringed barrel

waiting to happen?

Bob

I assumed the buyer of this ammo would add it to their WW2 Thompson display....not shoot it. it's a heavy, old can of ww2 ammo, more of a collector item than anything else....but I wouldn't take it to the range.

renderman ,

Understand and appreciate what you are saying.

In this case the buyer mentioned above is a friend of mine and a retired policeman. As many here would agree, police officers, in general, know very little about firearms and ammunition. This particular officer has some absolutely beautiful firearms and is a very busy person who sometimes neglects cleaning chores.

Felt I needed to warn him.

Good luck with your sale.

Jim C

The ammo was made by Chrysler Corp's Evansville Indiana plant.

Chrysler produced 96% of all .45 ammo produced during world war 2.

The original production of .45 ammo was packaged in waxed cardboard cartons packaged in wooden boxes.

The boxes rotted away in jungle conditions so they came up with vacuum sealed spam cans.

They also got a contract to inspect and repackage ammo with damaged packaging, which is what you have.

I wouldn't shoot it. save it for cartridge collectors

Edited by buzz

Reconbob- that ammo will likely be broken down. I was thinking the same thing. Agree with not using the sink method on a real nice gun, but my M1 has been arsenal rebuilt and parkerized. I use it. I'd feel different about a nice colt or original finish gun.

Sorry to hijack the thread Renderman. I'll stop now. Ammo would be a great display piece!