Colt Thompson Asking Prices

What were the highest and lowest prices that were tossed out? Does this list include the November, 2011 Subguns.com listed Colt TSMG #4912, once owned by Tracie Hill, that sold for $45K?

Arthur

Went to answer your questions last night and noticed oversights on my part.

In the early published 2011 Year End I had tossed out NO 3055 low from Amoskeag and 8016 Lawerence County Sheriff. Don't ask my why as I would not be able to answer why. In the earlier list while I tossed out NO 8016 yet I had notes in the totals a couple nearly $90k Thompsons for sale on Gunbroker from SMCFirearms that I left in??? Hmmm

There were other issues with the list so I just had to start again from scratch! It is hard for me pinpoint were I took a turn I suspect in my haste to do a quick total back in October. Anyway on this list I corrected, I tossed out one bottom and the top two on the big list, read that as the Amoskeag auction NO 3055 and the two from SMCFirearms.

On the sold list I just counted all the ones I had information as to they were sold. Did not toss out hightest and lowest.

Had NO 4912 as sold on both lists.

michael

2011 Year End.jpg

Sig,

I know what average means, but I skipped school the day they covered median and mode. Can you help me??

Jim C

They are all averages.

The list has "average"- this is the MEAN average, The sum of the set divided by the number if items in the set.

The Median- The middle value of the set.

The Mode- The item that occurs most frequently.

Edited by GUNGUY45

Sig,

I know what average means, but I skipped school the day they covered median and mode. Can you help me??

Jim C

They are all averages.

The list has "average"- this is the MEAN average, The sum of the set divided by the number if items in the set.

The Median- The middle value of the set.

The Mode- The item that occurs most frequently.

Gunguy,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Jim C

Arthur,

Great looking shepard by the way. I agree in principle with your position, I think that there is too much focus on the current satistical interprertation. Perhaps, a balanced position that takes into consideration the many aspects that come into play when looking to purchase a Colt. Many are advertised with some special feature attached to the firearm; from the supposed history without some documentation, a story that has been told and retold, prestine condition, you get the picture. Of course there are some that are well documented and their condition may be better that the 85% out there.

David

My GSD appreciates your discriminating tastes. There are indeed variables that accompany the sale of an individual Colt TSMG. Most collectibles (that are not associated with fame or infamy) achieve their greatest value as determined by their condition. There are of course instances where a collectible in primo condition was acquired at a bargain price. This doesn't mean that those premium prices achieved for a collectible in primo condition are any less indicative of the market place.

What were the highest and lowest prices that were tossed out? Does this list include the November, 2011 Subguns.com listed Colt TSMG #4912, once owned by Tracie Hill, that sold for $45K? Arthur Went to answer your questions last night and noticed oversights on my part. In the early published 2011 Year End I had tossed out NO 3055 low from Amoskeag and 8016 Lawerence County Sheriff. Don't ask my why as I would not be able to answer why. In the earlier list while I tossed out NO 8016 yet I had notes in the totals a couple nearly $90k Thompsons for sale on Gunbroker from SMCFirearms that I left in??? Hmmm There were other issues with the list so I just had to start again from scratch! It is hard for me pinpoint were I took a turn I suspect in my haste to do a quick total back in October. Anyway on this list I corrected, I tossed out one bottom and the top two on the big list, read that as the Amoskeag auction NO 3055 and the two from SMCFirearms. On the sold list I just counted all the ones I had information as to they were sold. Did not toss out hightest and lowest. Had NO 4912 as sold on both lists.

Sig,

Thanks for the update.

I wanted to clear up some misinformation. I had entered the wrong information about SFPD and it's Chief's connection in a story in an earlier post in this thread; that is what I get going on memory!

Clairification:

SN 4279 was aquired in 1928 by SFPD and the paperwork was signed by Wm. J. Quinn Chief of Police on 11/19/34, approved on a Form 1 on 11/27/34. It was kept at the Hall of Justice and the paperwork included the Chief's home address:

307 Scott St.

SF, CA

Last known location was:

Interstate Arm Corp

Jim Mac Adams

Billerica, MA

Sold on 3/6/98

also sold 11 other Colts...

Does anyone have any updtaes on these Colts, as I do not remember if any updates are in Gordon's lastest updates in his last volume.

David

• 7 months later...

Having read all the posts I was going to quote one of the posts about the average age of a member on this board. Well I'm 32 and a teacher, and an amateur antique gun collector on the side. I have a real dilemma, I have the funding for a Thompson but am scared that I will buy too high. I could get a 1921 with no assesories for 30k or an Overstamp for 33-35k (maybe) with a lot of assesories and in great condition. I'm afraid that the stock and grips are not original on the Overstamp, plus on a teacher's salary that might be out of my range.

BUT I don't want this opportunity to slip

I just don't know, hopefully in 20 years my 1921 Colt won't still be worth 30k

I was told to get a lot of accessories and that condition will appreciate

But it's just so much dang cash

Help with some advice for a young blood collector with not much intention of shooting or making a dollar

Having read all the posts I was going to quote one of the posts about the average age of a member on this board. Well I'm 32 and a teacher, and an amateur antique gun collector on the side. I have a real dilemma, I have the funding for a Thompson but am scared that I will buy too high. I could get a 1921 with no assesories for 30k or an Overstamp for 33-35k (maybe) with a lot of assesories and in great condition. I'm afraid that the stock and grips are not original on the Overstamp, plus on a teacher's salary that might be out of my range.

Help with some advice for a young blood collector with not much intention of shooting or making a dollar

I was 52 years old when I bought my 1st NFA weapon. It was 1996 and my dad passed away leaving me with some "extra" cash. I made sure my family got a chunk and did something nice for myself. My first love was the AK47 and It HAD to be a milled receiver like the 3rd pattern Russian gun. Up to that point I had never paid more than $450 for a firearm. I could have gotten a conversion for $2500 but I found a Chinese M22 for 5K. I was scared shitless but I did it. All I can say is "do it", you'll never regret it. I don't.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a Colt when I was "in the chips". I did pick up a great Savage 28 (and an MP5 and an M16) that to this day give me more pleasure than anything I've bought (dollar for dollar) in my life....

0928jets, do not be in too much of a hurry to purchase a Thompson, one will come along at a reasonable,(fair) price soon enough. If money is precious to you, take your time or you will most certainly overpay for one. Question why you want the gun...investment, shooting, safe queen... With the worldwide banking/economic collapse soon to come, I can assure you that many will be for sale in the coming years as more people will be divesting assets into cash. The price of class 3 guns in my opinion has nowhere to go but down. Having said that, must you have a Colt? My overhauled WH runs and looks as good as any Colt, (and I have shot both) so if you are a shooter you may want to give some consideration to a lesser expensive gun.

Mike Hammer

Yeah, that is about right. Very insightful, thank you Mike.

See it was pride that was messing with me having to have the gusto just because I could. I have always been obsessed with tommy guns since I was little but felt they were out of reach.

But I am a mix of an investor, and shooter. I am going to take my time with this one because I don't want to just put a diaper on my Thompson but feet I deserve more than a Kahr, whichever one I purchase.

Thanks

Nelson

Edited by 0928jets

• 2 weeks later...

I was 52 years old when I bought my 1st NFA weapon. It was 1996 and my dad passed away leaving me with some "extra" cash. I made sure my family got a chunk and did something nice for myself. My first love was the AK47 and It HAD to be a milled receiver like the 3rd pattern Russian gun. Up to that point I had never paid more than $450 for a firearm. I could have gotten a conversion for $2500 but I found a Chinese M22 for 5K. I was scared shitless but I did it. All I can say is "do it", you'll never regret it. I don't.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a Colt when I was "in the chips". I did pick up a great Savage 28 (and an MP5 and an M16) that to this day give me more pleasure than anything I've bought (dollar for dollar) in my life....

Hey guys,

I'm turning 63 in 2 months, and am buying my first NFA weapon, a WH 1928. Can't really afford a Colt or even a WWII gun although I could probably scrape up the cash somehow. Besides, I want to shoot it as much as I can in the next 10-15 years if I'm lucky enough to be granted that much more time. As a military man 1967-1982, (armorer MOS), I repaired, fired and carried most of the weapons we find important in these forums. I had an M1A1 in Vietnam for a while, got a photo of us, too. I guess it boils down to where is the fun in Thompsons for each individual. Colt owners may want to adore their guns for the history, workmanship and scarcity, but are afraid to shoot them too much for fear of breaking irreplaceable parts. Nothing wrong with that. I just want a gun I can shoot, break, repair and shoot some more. If I was 32 again, I might go for the Colt. At my age, tho, I want to fit in all the FA shooting I can whilw I can!

Hey guys,

I'm turning 63 in 2 months, and am buying my first NFA weapon, a WH 1928. Can't really afford a Colt or even a WWII gun although I could probably scrape up the cash somehow. Besides, I want to shoot it as much as I can in the next 10-15 years if I'm lucky enough to be granted that much more time. As a military man 1967-1982, (armorer MOS), I repaired, fired and carried most of the weapons we find important in these forums. I had an M1A1 in Vietnam for a while, got a photo of us, too. I guess it boils down to where is the fun in Thompsons for each individual. Colt owners may want to adore their guns for the history, workmanship and scarcity, but are afraid to shoot them too much for fear of breaking irreplaceable parts. Nothing wrong with that. I just want a gun I can shoot, break, repair and shoot some more. If I was 32 again, I might go for the Colt. At my age, tho, I want to fit in all the FA shooting I can whilw I can!

Chief, do me a favor? Do yourself a favor. Bite the bullet(NPI) and buy a Savage or a Bridgeport 28. You'll never regret it and you'll thank me till the day you die which hopefully will be many, many years from now.

Bob D

I had an M1A1 in Vietnam for a while, got a photo of us, too.

Scan it and post it so we can see it if it's not too much trouble.

OK, I'll do my best.

Chief762,

You have good intentions and a really nice plan, but it will never work. Once you buy the first SMG, your hooked. Before you know it you'll have 5 or 6.

Jim C

Yeah, you're probably right...

Hey guys,

Chief, do me a favor? Do yourself a favor. Bite the bullet(NPI) and buy a Savage or a Bridgeport 28. You'll never regret it and you'll thank me till the day you die which hopefully will be many, many years from now.

Bob D

Done the deal, Bob. But this one might be OK. I posted a pic of it on an earlier thread. Appreciate your thought tho. Chief

Hey Chief, are you related to Jim C?? It would appear that you're at least soul mates....

Ah, all of us Vietnam vets are soul mates. I still give a "Welcome home, brother" to all I meet for the first time. Someone has to say it.

• Upvote 1

Any members who have bought or sold recently and willing to send me a PRIVATE update on actual selling prices to update my tracking, would gain my sincere appreciation.

Others know I have treated all information as such with the utmost privacy which is only shared by year end summary total (never any individual prices).

I am sure David Albert among others would vouch for me.

thanks for any consideration

• Upvote 1

Robert Necessary aka Bob-rat-tat-tat, 80% condition Colt TSMG with FBI case & matching # L Drum sold for $39.500 !

"1921 Colt Thompson cased set. s/n 4XXX, About 80% blue finish remaining."

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=21222&query=retrieval