Form 4 Transfer Time

Stampcollector

My last one was 10.5 months. Last month

My next one is going past 11 months now.

Gotta get through all the 11,000 July 2018 silencer co sales. Once past the mid August 2018 it should be back to normal numbers. Maybe down to 6 months by the end of the year. I think its going to 12 months first is it appears to only be at the end of July 2018 right now

Form 4 Individual;

- Tax stamp check cashed on 7/30/2018;

- Authorized 6/20/2019;

- In hand 6/29/2019.

Still waiting on a few more submitted/cashed in 8/2018.

Edited by dtscott

• 2 weeks later...

Form 4 from individual to FFL/SOT

Mailed 5/30/2019

Approved 6/30/2019

NOT A TYPO, 30 Days

Stamp arrived 7/9/2019

I knew they were faster going to an FFL/SOT, but this was still a surprise.

Mailed 5/30/2019

Approved 6/30/2019

NOT A TYPO, 30 Days

Stamp arrived 7/9/2019

Was it a multiple with some others you had in the system??

Mailed 5/30/2019

Approved 6/30/2019

NOT A TYPO, 30 Days

Stamp arrived 7/9/2019

Similar time frame for one I received recently.

with dealers getting 1-2+ silencers a week youd think they would trust the dealer more and make 30 days the typical. The dealer may have just been arrested for something, but a simple 1 minute background check would tell them that. no reason dealer transfers take 3-4 months typically.

any clue how long a atf inspector spends on a typical form 4 transfer to an individual? is it 30 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 hour?

I got an eform 1 disapproval in 3 weeks. That was pretty fast! They email me a copy of the complete form with the disapproved box checked and tell me they can't "sync" the forms up? Not sure what that means, but if the form in the current pdf. state doesn't work, they apparently can't print it themselves at NFA branch, because effectively I printed it and sent it right back snail mail as they requested? They've managed to regress from a point they were at several years ago?

At what point will this disaster be fixed or disposed of?

After printing out another 8 pages and a full size envelope, check, etc. I'm ready to file suit arguing a violation of the paperwork reduction act!

I should have thrown a couple plastic straws in the envelope to get a speedier response? Those are getting close to the toxicity of anthrax apparently?

any clue how long a atf inspector spends on a typical form 4 transfer to an individual? is it 30 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 hour?

Which one? 1000 forms, 1000 different answers all varying with the competency of the reviewer and submitter. Just for a cool example, a co-worker wanted one of my silencers. After taking 5 months prepping the form, he submitted without signing the authorization to charge his CC for the tax so it got sent back to me. Then I get call a few weeks after submission #2 telling me the wrong FPCs were with it - WTF, I gave him three cards with the NFA pre-printed info! Upon further inquiry, turns out co-worker and the guy doing his prints entered into a discussion as to whether the FD-258 supplied by the NFA Branch (and specified in the form instructions) would actually be the version of print card best suited to an NFA transfer. Between the two of them they concluded that a different card would be better. Silly me, I never thought for a second they would have changed cards so never paid attention to them when I got it returned for the CC signature. I don't know how many hours were burned between bank and NFA employees/contractors but to think that is the only example of applicants FUBARing things IMO is short sighted or delusional.

• Upvote 1

The ATF blames the FBI for the slow turn around on the background checks. Multiple applications by the same person should not need a background check every time. Idk what the answer is but every time i look at something to buy i see a year wait and my enthusiasm diminishes.

I concur with your post 100%!

how many hours to do a form 4 trust...1 person trust (should be the same time as an indivdual id think?)

curious of anyone knows what the average time an inspector spends

ill guess 1 per hour

My point last time was that your question cannot be answered. Just to get an average, you would need a timer on each transaction and each examiner. Generically speaking, trusts take longer. Unless things have changed, there was a mentality that examiners should be part-time trust reviewers. I never agreed with that as it slows the progress, it's out of their ballpark, and personal responsibility on the applicant. That is still the case, because ATF does not provide a warranty on your trust but more time was spent processing it.

Edited by The Lone Ranger

had a form 4 kicked back this week....so most likely id have my stamp w/o the screw up....form 4 trusts are at about 340 days right now...headed to 12 months soon...nfa tracker confirms this...lot of new dots this week. its still going straight up at a 45 degree angle....might reach a new high? was it ever 13 months?

Edited by huggytree

• 2 weeks later...
Form 4 individual submitted August 21, 2018. Approved July 3, 2019. I don’t recall the date the check was cashed. About 10.5 months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...