Looking for an M1928A1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:51 PM

I'm looking to buy a military M1928A1 in the next couple of months.  If anyone knows of one for sale, or of one being listed in the near future, please let me know.

I am watching one on Ruben's site, and keeping an eye on Sturmgewehr.com, and Machinegun Central/Subguns.com.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2544 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

https://machinegunce...90-c060f0bb1f7b

i dont hate this one...i think in todays market is a $23,000 gun or less

i prefer police guns as they are usually in nicer shape. matching upper/lower, late manufacture with smooth barrel and L sight. Im not sure if the vertical grip is correct to the gun. The finish(if original) looks very good. The finish on the barrel is different, so it might have had a barrel swap.

Finding the right thompson for you is not a quick purchase like a Mac or Uzi. Most Thompsons are not all original and if your goal(like mine) is to make it correct you have to start with a mostly correct gun and make it correct. it seems the majority have some issues. 

If this gun is refinished and thats not the original barrel then i would lower my offer further...the market is rock bottom with shooter grade 1928's selling in the low $20's...i think one even sold for $19 a while back.

I would avoid the big dealer with $28k thompsons...they are over priced, typically refinished and beautiful......

are you looking for a war gun...specific to the A1? are you looking for the early features? (ribbed barrel, lyman rear sight,etc) ? are you looking for original finish/all matching?

ive seen very few war gun A1's that were correct/original and in decent condition...very few....lucky for you the market is blah and there are more thompson choices now that ive seen in the 3.5 years ive owned one

#3 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

You raise good points. Im looking for a military Thompson, though the AC versions are appealing for their condition. For me, it just wouldnt fly. Im simply casting a wide net.

#4 JJX

JJX

• Board Benefactor
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:49 PM

Not a 28, but I have a really nice looking Savage M1 in Louisiana, so you could check it out in person.

What part of the state?

#5 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:09 PM

Not a 28, but I have a really nice looking Savage M1 in Louisiana, so you could check it out in person.

What part of the state?

PM sent.

#6 Barry

Barry

• Regular Group
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

Its good to know so many of us in Louisiana collect quality guns I look forward to meeting you one day at Honey Island Swamp range

Edited by Barry, 16 March 2019 - 07:43 PM.

#7 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2249 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:58 PM

PM sent...