Thompson Semi-Auto Carbine 1927A1 Issues

In advance, I apologize if this information is already posted... I have not been able to find it...

This is my girlfriend's carbine and while she is in Afghanistan I am trying to get it back to working condition as well as refinished.

The first issue that I wish to solve is to figure out when this particular carbine was manufactured... Exact date not necessary, but a month and year would be nice... The serial is 31445.

Second, I disassembled the carbine and noticed that the buffer pad is missing. She has complained that it only fires about 10 rounds before a feed issue occurs. Would this be the reason? If not, what are some other possible issues?

I am trying to find a gunsmith that specializes in Tommys in the Fayetteville/Raleigh, NC area to give it a very thorough cleaning. I've never dealt with a parkerized finish, so I'm not 100% sure what it should look like, but it doesn't appear to have a blued finish. It does have a fair amount of surface rust on the exterior so whichever finish I am hoping to get it refinished. Just hoping to know for future issues.

Thank you all in advance!

In advance, I apologize if this information is already posted... I have not been able to find it...

This is my girlfriend's carbine and while she is in Afghanistan I am trying to get it back to working condition as well as refinished.

The first issue that I wish to solve is to figure out when this particular carbine was manufactured... Exact date not necessary, but a month and year would be nice... The serial is 31445.

Second, I disassembled the carbine and noticed that the buffer pad is missing. She has complained that it only fires about 10 rounds before a feed issue occurs. Would this be the reason? If not, what are some other possible issues?

I am trying to find a gunsmith that specializes in Tommys in the Fayetteville/Raleigh, NC area to give it a very thorough cleaning. I've never dealt with a parkerized finish, so I'm not 100% sure what it should look like, but it doesn't appear to have a blued finish. It does have a fair amount of surface rust on the exterior so whichever finish I am hoping to get it refinished. Just hoping to know for future issues.

If you can post photos, they will make all the difference in helping you.

Edited by mnshooter

It would be very difficult to diagnose this from the rather vague description she

gave you that after about 10 rounds it has feed issues. Usually when you have

feeding problems the first thing to look at is the magazine. It is also helpful to

know things like: does it jam on feeding? or does it not eject causing the jam?

Does it mis-feed from only one side of the magazine?, etc. Of course the only

way to answer these questions is to fire it.

Most of these guns were sold without a "buffer" and rely on the very strong

recoil springs to act as shock absorbers for the bolt. I recently saw one of these

guns with a buffer in front of the steel plate which holds the guide rods so maybe

now they are fitting them to new guns at the factory. The picture you posted

of the bolt mechanism looks correct. I do not see anything missing or amiss.

The finish on the gun does appear to be parkerizing.

We work on these all the time so perhaps we can help you. If you are interested

you can email me at Philaord@aol.com. We can also provide a WW2 slate grey

or military blue finish.

Bob Bower/Phila Ord

You'll probably be better off in the long run by sending this Thompson to Bob so he can go over it completely and properly re-finish it. One thing you can easily check yourself is to see if the magazine(s) are locking properly in the gun and are correct for a semi-auto. These 27 Thompsons take a different magazine than the full auto examples. Look at the magazine catch slots on the magazines you have. If the hole is round they are for full auto Thompsons. If the hole is oval it is a proper magazine for a semi-auto 27. A magazine with a round hole will NOT lock properly into a semi-auto Thompson. In my experience most semis will fire a few rounds** before the full auto magazine begins to slip out causing a jam or a misfire.

I'd also recommend if you ship this gun to Bob that you have him change it to the easy opening spring arrangement.

Jim

**They'll often fire more than a few rounds if the person shooting is using the magazine as a front grip.

Edited by james m

As stated above, if you really want to have a great product in the end, start a dialog with Reconbob at Philadelphia Ordnance about what he can do to this semi-automatic rifle. Most likely you are going to have to send it somewhere to get refinished, so send it to Bob - someone who specializes in Thompson guns. I have never owned a Thompson rifle but if I did I would want the easy open springs, the bolt hold open conversion on the frame, replacement of the cheese grader cocking ball, replacement and adjustment of the magazine catch, and the compensator set back on the barrel and permanently affixed making the barrel length 16 1/8" long, just a tad over the legal requirement. I would also consider adding an original Lyman rear sight. Then I would consult deerslayer or Dan Block, also a Board member, for some new wood. All it takes is money to have a very nice Thompson rifle. Good luck!

Green Mountain Barrels still offers a 14.125" finned barrel that uses the permanently pinned comp to give a legal 16" OAL barrel.

This would have the properly flared threaded end, and gets you as close as possible to the correct "look".

Not sure how the price compares with the costs of setting back the comp on a shortened barrel, but worth a look.

With either method, a longer than standard horizontal forend from Deerslayer will do even more to help the appearance.

Of course a SBR is best, but if you prefer to stay out of the NFA catagory, this is as close as you will get.

Edited by mnshooter

• 2 weeks later...

Before you continue further take it apart and clean the mechanisms thoroughly. At that point you can

check on spring functioning such as does the spring move back quickly when you pinch it shorter or compress it?

The most Likely problem is that the magazine is slipping down which is a very common problem with both

semi-autos and full-autos. If you look at ww2 pictures of Thompsons in action you often see the soldier holding

the magazine in what looks like amateur behavior when in reality they were making sure the magazines

didn't slip down in the heat of battle.

Edited by T Hound

Have you tried to polish the feed ramp?

I polished my feed ramp in early 1927A1 to a mirror finish along with the shank on the bolt.

It is alot easier with the barrel removed to come in through the front with a Dremel Tool.

I'm going to do my M1 Semi-Auto next.

It came from the factory with two rough high spots on the feed ramp.

• 4 years later...

Well it is 2017

Sad to say that it does not appear that Kahr has headway in the semi. I am the unfortunate owner of a new Jam-O-matic. I see from other post several possible help ideas.

Qusestion I purchased an extra stick with my order so I got 2 30 rnd sticks new with my thompson. Both of them have a round hole. I see in a post above that the round hole is for full auto's. Is this correct? The Mag catch has a round pin and catches in one mag better than the other. Locked in place empty the lips fit snugly and has no up and down slop. just a little side play. why would they send auto mags with a semi?

Bones,

First welcome to the board. I haven't had much opportunity to shot a new Kahr. I believe that they are making their own mags so the hole is in the correct spot. the mags with the oblong hole are FA mags that have been modified to work in the semi receiver witch is 1/10" shorter that a FA receiver.

Good luck.

Frank

Bones,

First welcome to the board. I haven't had much opportunity to shot a new Kahr. I believe that they are making their own mags so the hole is in the correct spot. the mags with the oblong hole are FA mags that have been modified to work in the semi receiver witch is 1/10" shorter that a FA receiver.

Good luck.

Frank

This - Kahr has been making their own round hole, semi-auto compliant stick mags since at least 2012 when I bought my 27A1.

Best of luck.

MP

ETA: Make that 2010, not 2012.

Edited by Merry Ploughboy

• 2 weeks later...

My guess and only a guess after seeing corrosion on the out side is lack of lubrication. But if you send it out for refinish, it will be running when you get it back, guaranteed.

Round hole could be either FA or SA they are made both ways. Depends on the magazine manufacturer.

Send it to Philadelphia ordnance Reconbob or Dan Block, Deerslayer on the forum can't go wrong with either

My guess and only a guess after seeing corrosion on the out side is lack of lubrication. But if you send it out for refinish, it will be running when you get it back, guaranteed.

Round hole could be either FA or SA they are made both ways. Depends on the magazine manufacturer.

Send it to Philadelphia ordnance Reconbob or Dan Block, Deerslayer on the forum can't go wrong with either

Hey Paladin601 are you the same Paladin that's on S&W forum? I'm 03hemi over there.

Hey Paladin601 are you the same Paladin that's on S&W forum? I'm 03hemi over there.

SOMEONE STOLE MY HANDLE!!!!!. I am shocked, lol. no that is not me.