Green Mountain 14.125" Barrel

Has anyone installed one of Green Mountain's 14.125" barrels on their Thompson 1927 A-1 semi-auto? If so, how do you like it? Can you post some photos?

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/militarysurplusriflesbarrels/thompson-machine-gun-barrels/14125-1928-thompson-machine-gun-barrel-45-acp

Hmmmm... not a popular mod it seems. B)

Fxdrider,

Green Mountain makes excellent Thompson barrels. They are all made to military FA specs. The guys over at this site are very pleased with them:

http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?board=105.0

You will find a couple of threads discussing the 14.125" Tommy barrels. They must be used with a permanently installed compensator (that is permanently installed per ATF specs) or a SBR tax stamp is required. IMO opinion they look best on a Tommy with a vertical foregrip like the 27A1. IMO any barrel over 10.5" just doesn't look right with the horz foregrip and particularly the M1 with the smooth barrel & no comp. Just my .02 cents.

Joe

• Upvote 1

Fxdrider,

Green Mountain makes excellent Thompson barrels. They are all made to military FA specs. The guys over at this site are very pleased with them:

You will find a couple of threads discussing the 14.125" Tommy barrels. They must be used with a permanently installed compensator (that is permanently installed per ATF specs) or a SBR tax stamp is required. IMO opinion they look best on a Tommy with a vertical foregrip like the 27A1. IMO any barrel over 10.5" just doesn't look right with the horz foregrip and particularly the M1 with the smooth barrel & no comp. Just my .02 cents.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I'm considering the 14.125" barrel with permanent comp mount as an alternative to going the SBR route, but I'd like to see how it looks with the vertical foregrip before committing. Just a matter of not wanting to insert the government into any more of my business than necessary. If I can't find any pics, I may just wind up going the SBR route anyway. At least then the gun will have the authentic look.

Edited by fxdrider

Fxdrider,

Joe

BTW, thanks for the link to The Weapons Guild. Excellent forum!

Edited by fxdrider

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the 14.5" barrels are no longer listed on their site.

Pit.

I spoke with Dennis at Green Mountain this morning. I asked him if they were going to get any more in and he said they were. Probably late summer. I actually placed an order for one this past Monday and got one of the last few they had in stock.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I bought one, had it tapped for a screw in blank adapter.

Then had the Cutt Comp welded on.

My 1927A1 Semi has a Quick Disconect Barrel System for changing to Non- Blank Barrels, and a plugged 10 inch Barrrel for show.

Also I have a Doug Richardson Butt Stock Removal Kit installed, gun looks great and more like a 1928.

With the horizonal grip it does not look to bad for WWll reenactments.

If Green Mountain made a 14,5 Smooth, I would buy one, weld a Cutts Comp and put on my M1 Semi.

I went to the Gov website on NFA weapons and printed out the rules about Short Barrel Rifles, had it laminated to keep with the gun.

If stopped by the police, they don't know their "ass from a hole in the ground", and may take you in till you can prove it's all legal

With the barrel screwed in, it's shorter then 16inchs, but the barrel is measured from the closed breach to the end of the Cutts Comp and is 16 inchs

Also keep a tape measure with the gun in case.

Hope this helps alittle..

Edited by jojeep

• 3 weeks later...

If Green Mountain can make them, why can't Auto Ordnance make and sell them with the Compensator welded on to meet the 16 Inch law?

Is you live in a state like me that does not allow short barrel rifles or any NFAs, you could just order on from 14.5 with Comp from the factory and by pass all the crap.

My 1927A looks great with the Green Mountain Barrel, compared to the factory barrel look which is 16.5 + 2.5 more with the Compensator.

because the barrel thread in not indexed, so the compensator will end up in different spots on each gun. Just buy a screw on compensator to go on the barrel. Some you can buy for $40 dollars and all you have to do is chase the threads and polish it,

• 3 weeks later...

Test fired my Green Mountain barreled 1927 Semi on Saturday.

Worked great, I had worries that the Cutts when welded may have warped from heat.

Had a gunsmith check it out, he said "only way to tell, shoot it".

Put 50 rds thru it no problems, bulls eyes at 25 yards.

The gun looks a hell of a lot better with the new 14.5 shorter barrel w/Cutts, not as good as a 10.5 barrel,

but with the horizontal foregrip not to bad looking.

Test fired my Green Mountain barreled 1927 Semi on Saturday.

Worked great, I had worries that the Cutts when welded may have warped from heat.

Had a gunsmith check it out, he said "only way to tell, shoot it".

Put 50 rds thru it no problems, bulls eyes at 25 yards.

The gun looks a hell of a lot better with the new 14.5 shorter barrel w/Cutts, not as good as a 10.5 barrel,

but with the horizontal foregrip not to bad looking.

Which Cutts did you use?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How did anyone weld on the cutts compensator to the 14.5" green mountain barrel without damaging the barrel?

How did you re-blue the barrel? cold or hot? what brand?

The ATF gives you 3 ways to "permanently attach" a compensator.

1. Silver solder it to the barrel

2. Weld it to the barrel at the rear side.

3. Drill/pin it to the barrel and weld over the ends of the pin.

I did #3 but took it to a gunsmith because I do not have access to a tig welder. Of the 3 options I think it is the cleanest and possibly most reversible. You can see my results here: http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17720

On the side of the compensator you can barely see the weld where it took the blue a bit off color than the rest of it.

I did a bunch of other work as well and ended up rebluing the whole gun.

I wouldn't recommend a cold blue. Not durable enough. If you're not set up to hot blue the cost to get proper tanks an chemical will outweigh going to a smith unless you plan to blue a lot in the future also.

Good luck. They are a great barrel.

Edited by 06AngusSG

Can't you also drill a blind hole and pin it ? No way to remove the pin , so would that qualify ?

Chris

I don't think so. The following is copy and pasted from the ATF's definitions of NFA firearms and barrel measuring procedure.

(My Bold)

"The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel

or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face.The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured."

That is why I had mine welded over and why I carry a copy of this definition while I'm out shooting. I'd rather be safe than arrested. I don't need some government robot trying to tell me I've committed a felony because I did a step 1/10000 of a degree wrong...

Here's a link to the actual PDF for anyone else that wants it. This is the 3rd paragraph down but there is a lot of other good info to know in the other pages:

https://www.atf.gov/file/58196/download

Jon

now where to get the threaded cutts compensator? For the green mountain barrel.

Gunbroker and patience is how I got mine. I bought it from a dude in Poland of all places!

they have one on gunbroker now for $87 plus $5 shipping. is that what they go for? I'd be worried the threads wouldn't match. someone said they just welded the non threaded auto ordnance compensator on the threaded green mountain barrel. I wonder what kind of fit that was? but that would cost about $77 with shipping from AO, so the $87 for the real one doesn't sound that bad now.