I have access to 07 class 3 mfrs in my area. I was thinking of giving them a M1 with 16 inch barrel, letting them chop it to 10.5

and remounting the sight. Any thoughts on this???

That doesn't work very well. Look at the end of your current barrel, where the sight mounts. It is thicker at the tip. If you just saw off the current barrel to 10.5, the sight won't install because there will be too much blank area underneath where the sight mounts. That's why you have to buy a correct short barrel. They build up the tip of the barrel just like your current long barrel is, so that the sight will mount.

Kahr wants something like 300 for the 10.5. Is there anywhere else, like maybe a surplus barrel?

I would buy 2 of them.

Surplus barrels run about $300. There is a company that makes them for about $100, but then you have to get it blued. Green Mountain something or other. Someone in here can confirm

Kahr wants something like 300 for the 10.5. Is there anywhere else, like maybe a surplus barrel?

I would buy 2 of them.

Surplus barrels run about $300. There is a company that makes them for about $100, but then you have to get it blued. Green Mountain something or other. Someone in here can confirm

Correct. I have on on my Thompson. Great barrel and great quality.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/thompson-machine-gun-barrels/

I would buy 2 of them.

Also, besides Green Mtn, IMA (international Military Antiques) out of NJ has new "correct style" blued M1 barrels for $140 w/ free S/H; (it was $132 last wk, I'm pretty sure- so they went up slightly); Still a good deal! http://www.ima-usa.com/u-s-thompson-smg-m1-m1a1-45-barrel.html

Edited by pedal2metal