An Amateur’s Guide for the Colt’s Thompson Submachine Gun

Just released on Amazon.com is my new book,

An Amateur’s Guide for the Colt’s Thompson Submachine Gun

(Or How to be an Informed Buyer in a Very Expensive Market)

COVER - for MGB com 21Apr2019.jpg

I have been a member of this great Forum for a long time. Over the years, I have noticed with increased frequency the number of new members that have what I consider to be basic questions concerning the Colt’s Thompson gun. Of course, we have many knowledgeable members that are always willing to help, making this the best Forum on the Internet. The purpose of this book is to educate those that are new to the community and looking to spend thousands of dollars for a Colt’s Thompson. Or just want to understand the product better and may be a potential buyer in the future. This book can easily save a novice collector thousands of dollars when looking to purchase that perfect Colt's. I have also included information that will be very valuable to many of the more knowledgeable members of the Forum.

Some of the topics include:

1. What to look for and avoid when shopping for a Colt’s.

2. Each Auto-Ordnance model explained in pictures with detailed information.

3. How to identify an original Colt’s era actuator, including the three original NAVY actuator variations.

4. The St. Louis Police Department Colt’s story, including the gangster guns and Models of 1927.

5. How to safely shoot an original Colt’s Thompson without devaluing it.

6. How to clean and properly refinish the Colt’s wood.

7. How to identify an original Spare Part Kit Container.

8. And much more information that will greatly aid the novice and educate many current owners about General Thompson’s trench broom.

The book is filled with numerous color photographs and expansive captions that will show Thompson enthusiasts the many important features of a Colt's Thompson. While geared toward the beginner or new enthusiast, advanced collectors will find a lot of valuable and heretofore unknown and unpublished information.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments regarding my new Thompson book.

I also want to thank those who have purchased Great Britain – The Tommy Gun Story. Aside from a few grammar errors, not one passage in GB-TTGS has been shown to be inaccurate.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1794453814/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=An+Amateur%27s+Guide+to+the+Colt%27s+Thompson+Submachine+Gun&qid=1555851990&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John,

Yes, the book will be available at the All Thompson Show & Shoot in August. I am hoping to have my copies first available at the Ohio Gun Collectors Association (OGCA) Display Show on Saturday, May 11, 2019. I will be at one of the Author's Tables.

Having reviewed this proof myself as well, I will make this statement, "Wish I had it as a reference when I first started collecting". Considering the great sums we put towards our collections, this is a bargain.

Great job Tom.

Just released on Amazon.com is my new book,

An Amateurs Guide for the Colts Thompson Submachine Gun

(Or How to be an Informed Buyer in a Very Expensive Market)

attachicon.gif COVER - for MGB com 21Apr2019.jpg

I have been a member of this great Forum for a long time. Over the years, I have noticed with increased frequency the number of new members that have what I consider to be basic questions concerning the Colts Thompson gun. Of course, we have many knowledgeable members that are always willing to help, making this the best Forum on the Internet. The purpose of this book is to educate those that are new to the community and looking to spend thousands of dollars for a Colts Thompson. Or just want to understand the product better and may be a potential buyer in the future. This book can easily save a novice collector thousands of dollars when looking to purchase that perfect Colt's. I have also included information that will be very valuable to many of the more knowledgeable members of the Forum.

Some of the topics include:

1. What to look for and avoid when shopping for a Colts.

2. Each Auto-Ordnance model explained in pictures with detailed information.

3. How to identify an original Colts era actuator, including the three original NAVY actuator variations.

4. The St. Louis Police Department Colts story, including the gangster guns and Models of 1927.

5. How to safely shoot an original Colts Thompson without devaluing it.

6. How to clean and properly refinish the Colts wood.

7. How to identify an original Spare Part Kit Container.

8. And much more information that will greatly aid the novice and educate many current owners about General Thompsons trench broom.

The book is filled with numerous color photographs and expansive captions that will show Thompson enthusiasts the many important features of a Colt's Thompson. While geared toward the beginner or new enthusiast, advanced collectors will find a lot of valuable and heretofore unknown and unpublished information.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments regarding my new Thompson book.

I also want to thank those who have purchased Great Britain The Tommy Gun Story. Aside from a few grammar errors, not one passage in GB-TTGS has been shown to be inaccurate.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1794453814/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=An+Amateur's+Guide+to+the+Colt's+Thompson+Submachine+Gun&qid=1555851990&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Probably be buying!

Just purchased the book on Amazon. Look forward to reading it soon. I've already purchased most of the other books available on the Thompsons including the Ultimate Thompson, American Thunder and The Tommy Gun story. And while these books teach alot about the variations, it's awesome to have a book that can help walk us through the potential pitfalls of a purchase.

The post does raise some interesting questions for us novices. Such as what are the types of scams we need to look out for?

Wondering if someone would care to share some examples of the types of problems and/or scams we might encounter?

Just returned home from the NRA Convention. The American Thompson Association has a great display. Our booth has been very crowded both days. My voice is completely gone! I will return tomorrow to assist with the tear down. The Convention is open for NRA members on Sunday from 10:00am to 5:00pm. It is well worth attending if you are in the area.

I appreciate the great comments about my book. It means a lot to me. I also want to thank those that have left positive comments with Amazon. Your Customer Reviews are very important.

I just noticed that Amazon.com is running a special on my book for $32.03 plus free shipping if a Prime member. I do not know how long this will last. When my author copies arrive, I will discount my book at the OGCA Display Show and at two Thompson shows. However, I cannot match this special Amazon price. If you are interested in obtaining a copy, this is a really good deal. I will be glad to personalize the book later.

Again, thank you for your support. I look forward to seeing many of you in the upcoming weeks.