Removal/replacement mag catch & spring

First thing you have to take out the pivot plate and all the internals. After you have removed the reciever from the trigger frame. There is a tab on the pivot plate on the left side of the trigger frame that prevents the mag catch to move to far up. Once the pivot plate is out you can push the mag catch as far up as it goes then you can remove the mag catch straight out from the left side of the trigger frame. There is a spring on the mag release that corresponds to a hole on the trigger frame so when you reinstall you have to finagle it back in the hole while putting the mag catch back in. Hope this kind of helps.
  • Upvote 1

Its kind of a pain but once you get the hang of it it gets easier. Just know when removing it you have to use your thumb to push up as far as it can (like you are releasing a mag but farther so the actual knob that catches the magazine can clear the hole) and then you push out from the right side of the trigger frame.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so after the range, upon cleaning, I decided to go ahead and replace the mag catch spring. It was a lot easier than I expected. I first removed the safety lever, and then drifted out the pivot plate, one tap at a time on each shaft until the pivot plate was backed out enough to remove the mag catch. On removal, I had to use the screw effect of the spring to remove it from the big end of the Mag catch shaft. The new one slipped right on. The spring was "sprung" if you will, resulting in lighter spring tension on the mag catch. I'll have to wait 'til next range day to try it out on drum mags. There's no doubt in my military mind that it will make a huge difference. Previously, the mag catch would get knocked loose every 5-10 rounds, resulting in any variety of misfeeds, one resulting in a broken firing pin. After seeing the old spring, I can now see why. Many thanks to all the insight and advice provided here.