Tear Gas Gun Forum Added 1/9/11

All,

I have been interested in vintage Tear Gas Guns for some time, and wrote an article on the Manville Guns that was published in Small Arms Review a few years ago. I think there are a lot of questions people have about these unique devices, so I'm adding this forum to potentially generate some good discussion on the subject.

The focus of the forum is intended to be 1920's to 1970's equipment. I may also add flare guns to the scope of discussion, if there is an interest.

I will eventually post some reference material on the subject in a pinned post.

Enjoy!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

All,

I have been interested in vintage Tear Gas Guns for some time, and wrote an article on the Manville Guns that was published in Small Arms Review a few years ago. I think there are a lot of questions people have about these unique devices, so I'm adding this forum to potentially generate some good discussion on the subject.

The focus of the forum is intended to be 1920's to 1970's equipment. I may also add flare guns to the scope of discussion, if there is an interest.

Enjoy!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

This is a great addition also. I have wanted to write a book on the history of teargas use but not had the time. Here is a Van Karner 60 cal gas/flare gun to get started. I did not realize you wrote the Manville article but great job, sorry the congrats are late.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/1vankarner.jpg

This is a great addition also. I have wanted to write a book on the history of teargas use but not had the time. Here is a Van Karner 60 cal gas/flare gun to get started. I did not realize you wrote the Manville article but great job, sorry the congrats are late.

copdoc,

Wow! I've never seen one of those. What is the approximate vintage of that tear gas gun?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

All,

Enjoy!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Do you want any photos at this time?

copdoc,

Wow! I've never seen one of those. What is the approximate vintage of that tear gas gun?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David,

I believe that Van Karner made them in the 1920's in New York

Brian

David,

I believe that Van Karner made them in the 1920's in New York

Brian

It is 60 caliber and to the best of my knowledge the only gun made in this caliber and the only US made 3 barrel Sheintod pistol. I would like to hear if this is not right. Some may have come in a fitted box with the cartridges and were presented to people who accepted government bids as a "gratuity". According to the Gun Digest all number were in the 3700-4000 range but I saw reference to one on the net that was 40xx. Gunner Swearengen's book has drawings of one with number 3755. Mr Swearengen said is was developed in 1917 but I found it was not patented until 1924 which fits with what bmarvin states.

Anyone have any original cartridges? Gunner calls it a 28 gauge and says commercial 28 ga gas shells work in it. Mine will not chamber a 28 gauge and is marked 60 cal. Not in his book but he once told me that they also made flares for it.

David feel free to make this a separate post if you wish.

By will not chamber , do you mean too big ? A 28 Ga. has a bore diam. of .55 , so it should be loose. A 24 GA. has a bore of 58 caliber , which is very close . A 20 Ga. runs 61.5 caliber , which sould be a hair too big. It is posible that they had a special size to avoid a posible short bbl. shotgun claim by BATFE.

Chris

By will not chamber , do you mean too big ? A 28 Ga. has a bore diam. of .55 , so it should be loose. A 24 GA. has a bore of 58 caliber , which is very close . A 20 Ga. runs 61.5 caliber , which sould be a hair too big. It is posible that they had a special size to avoid a posible short bbl. shotgun claim by BATFE.

Chris

Hi Chris

The 28 ga plastic will go in the chamber but the brass base will not. This gun was made before the gangster weapon act of 1934 and way before the 1968 GCA. It may have been designed such that a 28 ga shell could not be chambered in it as disaster may occur in the aluminum barrels. If it were made out of steel with 28 gauge chambers it would be one heck of a snake gun. :D Forget the Rossie Judge and even the Ithaca Auto Burglar.