At this time of year I always think of my buddy from E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne... Captain Dick Winters. I wish I could of been there with you pal. Now is the time to watch "Band of Brothers", especially to all you young-ans that haven't seen it, it's a must see.

Mike Hammer

Dick Winters 1.jpg

Wow, very nice picture! Was thinking of watching it again myself. Great movie! Speaking of which, has anyone seen the Thompson sling signed by Bill Guarnere on eBay?

Andrew

Love that pic of Winters. Band of brothers is by far my favorite WWII doc/movie.

And I am probably considered a youngin' at 35...

Edited by 06AngusSG

• 11 months later...

Just a solemn reminder of this historical day 74 years ago. One of the greatest generations.

Next year will be the big 75th anniversary (obviously).

normandylst-2-768x583.jpg

Andrew

Appalled and saddened that this day is going almost umnoticed by the lamestream media. I guess they feel it's not important anymore and just ancient history. So dammit I'm posting this for all those who sacrificed so much so that we all could lead better lives.

I want to acknowledge my friend and neighbor Cpr.Frank Audiffred of Baton Rouge who was there in France and was Blown out of 5 tanks and was the only survivor of his last tanker during the Battle of the Bulge which ended the war for him.

Frank now at 97 yrs. young had to finally go to assisted living facility last year with his wife of 73 yrs. after their health prevented them from staying in there home directly across the street from me which they loved and did not want to leave.

I miss him every day, easily the best neighbor that I ever had.

He was interviewed some time ago by author Adam Makos of the great book, "A Higher Call" for a future book about the "Bulge" battle. I only hope that the book will be published in time for him to see it.

And also, here is another photo which Dick Winters gave me of him during the early days of his training at Camp Toccoa. If you haven't read "Band of Brothers' by Steven Ambrose or seen the miniseries please do so, and if you have, it might be time for a revisit.

Thank you both, you are the best!

Mike Hammer

Dick Winters 1.jpg

Edited by Mike Hammer

Thanks for sharing Mike. A tribute to all who served. It is inevitable but sad that with each passing year there will be less and less WW2 survivors. It is up to us to keep the history alive.

I've read, A Higher Call, Band of Brothers, Beyond A Band of Brothers by Dick Winters(highly recommend reading it if you haven't), Longest Day, D-Day by Ambrose, and a few others I can't remember right now. All worth reading.

Andrew

Wow, very nice picture! Was thinking of watching it again myself. Great movie! Speaking of which, has anyone seen the Thompson sling signed by Bill Guarnere on eBay?

Andrew

I have a lower signed by Buck Compton, Earl McClung and Brad Freeman. This was a few years ago at a gun show in Louisville. The highlight was when Brad looked at Buck and said, "Hey Buck. You sure did a lot of damage with a Thompson." Buck leaned back and smiled from ear to ear.

Backgrounds (205).jpg

Backgrounds (204).jpg

Backgrounds (207).jpg

Andrew

I have a lower signed by Buck Compton, Earl McClung and Brad Freeman. This was a few years ago at a gun show in Louisville. The highlight was when Brad looked at Buck and said, "Hey Buck. You sure did a lot of damage with a Thompson." Buck leaned back and smiled from ear to ear.

attachicon.gif Backgrounds (205).jpg

attachicon.gif Backgrounds (204).jpg

attachicon.gif Backgrounds (207).jpg

Now that is a special Thompson! I wish I could have met anybone of them.

Andrew

• 11 months later...

This will probably be the last big remembrance of the D-Day invasion, particularly for the dwindling number of participants that are still still with us. I really can only imagine the thoughts and fears of the young men who were there that day. Most just wanted to live through the day, many did not.

I'm pulling out my complete "Band of Brothers" DVD's and have another look in tribute. Here's one final sketch of Dick Winters that he gave me years ago. here's to you pal, you might have been the coolest customer that morning. "Hang Tough" my friend.

Mike Hammer

Dick Winters A.jpg

Edited by Mike Hammer

Wow, awesome sketch! Never forget those brave men that dropped in by air or came by sea (and everyone else involved)! As you said, there are less people that care and much less still alive that were there to remember it.

Andrew