Wh 1928-ok W/ Original Parts?

Original parts can mean a lot of things. If the actuator and mag catch are USGI surplus, which many WH guns came with originally, you should be fine. The WH actuator with the square knob is junk, if the knob is a round like a ball, with a slot down the middle, you are OK.

Doug

If the serial number is below 2500, it should have most old GI parts. Mine is a 587# and everything is GI, except the buffer pilot. Replace that because the WH's are a 2 piece buffer and they will come apart when you don't want one to. It can pop out the back and hit you in the eye or check.

If you can get it for under $10k, get it.

It sounds as though this will be your first class three purchase. Three years ago, the gun would probably have set you back a little over half of what it will today, assuming that you haven't found a real deal somewhere (and I hope that you have!). Worry not about the origins of the parts that are easily replaced with original GI. It is the paperwork and the receiver that you're paying for!

To my mind, there are really only two questions here: do you want the gun, and can you afford it? If you answered 'yes' to both questions, buy it. Otherwise, it will quickly be gone or the price will go up, or both. It will probably be the best-performing investment that you ever made, whether you are thinking of it in that way now or not.

It is very much a seller's market. The last 'new-in-box' guns dried up when Vector Arms sold out of their Uzis. Good luck!

pat k,..at the very rear of the receiver is a small round protrusion...that is the tail end of the buffer pilot....it is necessary to slide the lower off the receiver to inspect and/or change it....not to dispute AZDoug,but the actuator knob can be rounded and knurled,yet still be a cast WH actuator...if it is..replace that too...these are simple upgrades...these parts come out during routine cleaning...no biggie...and readily available...good luck and enjoy! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Check the FAQ too. Lots of West Hurly info there too.

And, if it is a cast actuator, have it PK'd to a '21 style, hardened, and get a '21 buffer kit. ROCKand ROLL!

I'll second what TSMGguy said. I lost out on a WH28A1 because I was trying to keep up with the value in a fast-paced market of climbing prices. What started out as a maybe "fair deal" quickly evolved into a real good buy. The seller worked me against another buyer and I lost out. (I had the gun apart on my kitchen table for inspection.) It was an early gun-almost completely military parts. I'm still in the "search mode". I wish I had a little more cash available for all the Colts I'm seeing for sale. I'm pretty sure I'll find what I want (probably some extras.) Uncle Dudley

My WH #2xx ran good when I bought it NIB 25 years ago. Sent it to PK for an overhaul and now it works perfectly and looks better than when it was new. The action is now smooth as a baby's butt and it runs like a top. No jams, misfeeds or hang ups using any mags or drums. His work is well worth the price and increases the value of the gun considerably IMHO.

Jerry Prasser of Recon Ord has a WH in the shotgun news for around $ 12

Thompsons are not getting any cheaper