Getting Blue Off

On a related topic, is there an easy way to remove park. I've got a trigger frame that has been parkerized that I would like blued. Other than bead blasting, I wonder if there is a chemical way to remove it.

Since we're on the topic...

Could someone give me a really quick overview of blueing and parkerizing? What does each do and what are their limitations? I'm new to this and hear the terms alot. All I know is it has something to do with making the gun look darker.

For removing blue, I prefer Lime Away. Use it full strength. In a zip lock storage bag, add the parts to be stripped, enough Lime Away to cover the parts, and allow to sit overnight at room temperature. Will not harm metals.

Phosphoric acid-metal prep used in auto refinishing will remove bluing and light rust. Use a rag or fine scotchbrite or 0000 steel wool if the metal is a little rusty. Then wipe with a water dampened cloth followed by drying with air blower or cloth. Rubber gloves would be advised. Uncle Dudley

Sgt Fox

Bluing, ther are several types, Slow rust, Belgan bluing, and hot salt bluing to name a few. In all of them you change the surface of the steel to an oxide.

Parkerizing is a chemical layer that adhears to the steel and is highly porus, and drinks up oil and grease and holds it preventing rust and corosion.

There are plusses and minuses to each, bluing is less resistant to handiling wear and exposure but is a smoother finish. Parkerising is quite rough and adds to the dimentions of the parts slightly and can slow parts down in cycling and make trigger pulls seem gritty.

Bluing was the factory original finish on the overwelming majority if not all Thompson SMG's

BB