James D. Julia's March Auction - 70 Thompsons?

Has anyone counted the number of Colt, Savage, Bridgeport, and WH Thompsons for sale at Jim Julia's auction on March 21-23 (Fairfield, Maine)? I estimate the number to be about 70, but it's easy to lose track. This auction may set some records for years to come, certainly in the number of Thompsons for sale at one auction.

I just looked briefly and I have saved a bunch of them in a watch list. I believe my Thompson number is more like 18 and 1/2. The 1/2 is on the second day.... and I am high bidder so far! LOL! But do not let Timkel know...

It has about 100+ MGs for sure. Fun to watch!

I just looked briefly and I have saved a bunch of them in a watch list. I believe my Thompson number is more like 18 and 1/2. The 1/2 is on the second day.... and I am high bidder so far! LOL! But do not let Timkel know...

I just hope the top bidder is a member here.

Did you just put in a max price you want to spend and see what happens or do live bidding?? Is that done on the tele?? What are the buyers fees on a big item like that. Thx Vinny

There are many theories on how to bid on items at online auctions. Understand that this below is only my opinion...

If you are really serious, I believe the only way to purchase an expensive item like an MG is to go to the auction. See the item in person. If you do to want to spend the time and money to do that, I understand as I cannot always get up and go to a non-local auction. But then, if still serious, I prefer to call the auction house and do a phone bid. Contact them prior and ask for more pictures. And my max bid will take into account the fact that I have not seen it in person. Just for the record I have been a bridesmaid several times and never won many items this way.

On less expensive items, I usually only put in a bid that is the only bid increment larger than the current bid. Why? If you read the fine print (I usually go through Proxibid ) it says the auction house has the right to move the bid up to your max bid as long as they declare that they will do that! So only put in a higher (my max) at the last minute - or live.

Also if you do a phone bid, you are dealing directly with the auction house and you do not pay the 5% Proxibid (or whatever bidding service you are using) fee. And the the auction house may accept cash / check without having to add 3% for credit cards if you are not in a hurry. So an 8% savings over online bidding - worth it.

If it is an item that I want but not too badly, I will through a low ball bid in and forget it. Occasionally I get lucky and win one. That is fun... but not the way I recommend to buy an MG!

Remember again this is just my opinion... Good luck!

I clicked class 3 and scrolled thru all of them and counted 15 if you count West Hurleys. I did ask them if all those colts came from a

collection and the answer was that they were from an estate, When there are so many, it will be interesting to see the results.

My guess is that so many will water down the prices since early bidders have spent their budget so maybe the later guns in

this auction will be had at bargain prices.Just my take.

There is no rationale to the way auctions go down.

Sometimes the first item goes by for a song as everyone is waiting for prices to go down.

Sometimes first items go sky high.

Sometimes last items sell cheap after everyone has blown their wad..sometimes everyone wants that last chance and bids it up.

Watch every single item and have a max bid in mind.

I never "lose" in an auction because I dont go over that number as in a bid war.

I prefer to find the deals rather than go after "Must haves". Perhaps its the "Beer budget Champagne taste" tightwad in me. So far after all these years that motto has served me well. Lots of beer. Lots of Champagne.

Remember there is always the next auction.

julia 032118.JPG

Here are today's results (clarified)...

First number is item number, then serial number, then partial description, next is the hammer price, second price is with 15% BP (for on site) and 20% BP for online. I may be a bit off on the BP percents.

Anyone here get one?

Edited by giantpanda4

A big thank you to giantpanda4 (Mike) for his great chart on the winning bids. Did anybody on the Board bid on or perhaps win the Hyde Model 33? I believe the hammer price was 25K.

Is this all the Class 3 items in this auction?

TD - the Hyde was $25K hammer as you said.

I did not have the pimp M16 in my watch list! Sorry I missed it.

I think there were over 100 CIII guns, I "watched" most of them so I would get the selling price. If I get time I can post the whole list that I have later today (Not all CIII items are on it).

IMHO the prices were strong. Maybe 5% of the items were a deal, but that damn BP kills it.

As far as being tied... I got screwed on that once. With Proxibid, they are putting in your bid as the auctioneer is calling for bid from the floor. If he gets $30K as a floor bid, your bid will not beat him so it does not get counted - even though you had it submitted first, the auctioneer took the floor bid first. Now if you did it by phone bid or leaving Julia a cover bid, it may appear as a floor bid (listed to us as "onsite") and you might have won it as it was sold to "onsite".

Good luck!

My longer list without serial numbers and BP added in (it is in three parts):

three.JPG

two.JPG

one.JPG

• Upvote 1

Yeah, hammer prices shown.

Just got smoked on the Mini 1/2 scale Edmond De La Garague 1928 in a case with accessories. Sold for $6K! Beautiful but too $$$ for me!

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/EXTREMELY-ATTRACTIVE-NICKEL-PLATED-MINIATURE-1928-THOMPSON-MACHINE-GUN-REPLICA-NON-GUN/40903490/LotDetail.asp?lid=40903490&rfpb=0#Top

Anyone here end up with it?

This may seem like dumb question, but how can you guys see the hammer prices? Thanks.

Go to the site and all hammer prices are listed. Don't forget to add 21% for internet sales.

Auction Prices

Fees with any auction house are dependent not on your location, but who is skimming off the top. If you do proxybid, they take some in addition to the credit card fees they charge, all bundled 20+ % IIRC. Most auction houses will take checks on NFA items, then in Julia's case 15% from the buyer. The fees and explanations are all detailed on the websites. I've done proxybid on small items under 1K, but anything over that I try to pay by check. One house I've dealt with only does CC and does not upcharge for it. As a result I got $700 cash back from my CC..... an actual 2% discount. I offered a check, but they insisted they had no problem paying a CC fee? Hard to explain stupid, but they lost over 1K on that deal. HTH

A number of the major auction houses negotiate with the CC companies much lower fees based upon the shear dollar value on the auctions...So who is stupid here?

Further, many known buyers and sellers are able to negotiate on terms based upon their known sale or purchase volumes... Money talks BS walks... A few here should learn that lesson...

My 2 cents.

PTRS14.5