Losing Faith in Shippers

We move a lot of firearms through shippers, and have had a few bad experiences with the USPS and Fedex. Friday, UPS outdid them all. An 1895 Winchester carbine arrived in two pieces ... I mean broken completely in half at the wrist ... The box was not crushed, but had a few creases in it ... To me it looks like the box was swung against something with considerable force ... I could see the stock being cracked if something were dropped on it, but that would have also crushed the box ... This incurred enough force to actually separate the stock from the tang of the carbine inside of the box ... Fortunately it was insured, but it doesn't leave me feeling confident about shipping.

post-260006-0-49633000-1599409597_thumb.jpg

post-260006-0-37048700-1599409629_thumb.jpg

post-260006-0-96700000-1599409505_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldtrooper

I just read thru a similar thread on GunBoards about the shipment by UPS of a G 33/40 carbine.
https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1165255-G33-40-nightmare!
It too was broken in half.
The shipment was insured, but UPS denied the claim.
Here is a picture of the explanation notice.

Richard

post-258486-0-87051500-1599418188_thumb.jpeg

Edited by APEXgunparts

I just read thru a similar thread on GunBoards about the shipment by UPS of a G 33/40 carbine.

Richard

I already ordered a replacement stock from Winchester ... They actually still had 14 of them for the carbine in stock ... The carbine has been out of production for years ... A $400 expense. I have little faith that the claim would be paid.

I believe anything regarding the USPS. I ordered some 4-wheeler parts that were shipped on 21 July. They showed "In Transit to the Next Facility" on 25 July. ( The day it was scheduled to be delivered.) The next tracking entry was 20 August at the Regional Destination Facility, and finally delivered on 24 August.

Yet DeJoy is decommissioning more sorting machines

Most being decommissioned were underutilized. The same thing was happening during the Obama administration.

The major issue is not the machines but the reduction in overtime allowed which is a necessary step in the reduction of the USPS annual losses. Due to the inefficiency of the USPS they lose billions each year, in fiscal year 2019 they lost $8.8 billion alone. If Fred Smith at FedEx had to put with that loss rate he would have been out of business a long time ago.

Being in the mail order business I am keenly aware of any delays in our packages reaching customers, so far we have not had any delays. What we ship with the USPS is sent in the small Priority Mail boxes, those orders too large for these are shipped via FedEx. As far as receiving packages via USPS we have had only a couple that were delayed, both shipped in odd size boxes via First Class mail.

Even long before the virus and the cut backs at USPS the joke in my area has been the Memphis sorting center, packages processed there often disappeared for weeks before popping back up in the system. This is one the reasons we switched to shipping mostly with FedEx about eight years ago.

Richard

We use the 275 lb per square inch boxes when shipping long guns, a little more expensive but worth it when a firearm arrives undamaged. We also take the extra step of using a 1x4 wood frame around the inside edges just to be on the safe side. A bit of overkill but better too much packing than not enough.

USPS lost a watch I had insured for $140 back in about 2003. Took 8 visits to the post office before I finally refused to leave the counter and the employee filled out the claim form. About 2+ months later I got a check for the full insured amount from the US government. Good luck getting the claim paid. In my case, persistence paid off.

USPS lost a watch I had insured for $140 back in about 2003. Took 8 visits to the post office before I finally refused to leave the counter and the employee filled out the claim form. About 2+ months later I got a check for the full insured amount from the US government. Good luck getting the claim paid. In my case, persistence paid off.

The seller is the one that has to deal with UPS ... I already bought a replacement stock and figure that I won't be reimbursed the $400 it cost me from Winchester .... We are also repairing the broken stock ... Just not sure if it will hold up to 30-40 cartridges.

I just had a USPS idiot drop my $1200 insured package at a random address in my town. Lucky for me the guy that got it without the required signature, took the time to hop in his car and deliver it to my house.

USPS just delivered a priority mail signature required box to my ofice by leaving it outside in a bin. It was a Colt King Cobra revolver. My last stamp took 50 days to reach me. I had already sold the gun and had a eForm 3 transfer approved before the stamp arrived.

Dan

USPS just delivered a priority mail signature required box to my ofice by leaving it outside in a bin. It was a Colt King Cobra revolver. My last stamp took 50 days to reach me. I had already sold the gun and had a eForm 3 transfer approved before the stamp arrived.

Dan

This Winchester that I purchased 3 weeks ago in 30-06 caliber was also a signature required delivery ... The package was found leaning against the wall of the shop and we were inside ... The driver didn't even bother to come in or knock ... Can't anyone do their job properly anymore? (At least it arrived in once piece)

post-260006-0-98354300-1599603594_thumb.jpg

With the 'rona signature delivery is a thing of the past. If you are paying extra for that and insurance you're probably getting ripped off. As noted above packaging is specific, used packaging is obvious and you are setting yourself up for a claim denial. Got a load in today 4" alum tube, one end was crushed with a forklift and the customer accepted it without looking closely.....there will be no claim there. I've had relatively few issues with packages other than massive airline delays from the EU. Canada has taken a few extra days.

I'd never put "fragile" on a package since that seems to be a package handler's challenge to find out how fragile your stuff is?

If it's a serious gun, I'll buy a plastic case or ship one of mine to the seller to pack it in. Shipped my alum case in a cardboard box for a water cooled .50 years ago and it worked out great. You really want to sign up for those email tracking services (other than usps whose tracking is somewhat worthless) as that's the best bet. UPS delivery locations are GPS tracked within a few feet of where the package is dropped,so if it ends up at the neighbors house they can tell you that and you can retrieve it ASAP. Fedex ground/ home delivery is sort of pathatic, but real fedex air is close to on par with UPS since it's essentially a different company.

Got an uber rare tripod shipped today, delivering Thursday fedex air, already got a tendered and out to the next station notification. 2800 mi. The only problem I expect is that the seller does a lousy packing job and I didn't bother insuring it, since I have no control over the packaging and it's unlikely if broken that a claim would be paid anyhow. Sometimes you have to absorb some risk in life. Shipping air cut damage risk by at least 90% vs. ground.

USPS just delivered a priority mail signature required box to my ofice by leaving it outside in a bin.

also a signature required delivery ... The package was found leaning against the wall of the shop and we were inside ... The driver didn't even bother to come in or knock

Signature required has been waived during the scamdemic and all they need to do is scan it and toss it on your porch/put it beside your door and type in COVID in the name box.

I am stunned .. In this world where nothing ever seems to go as planned I have had two amazing things happen ..First, After an exhausting search for a replacement stock for the UPS damaged Winchester, I finally called the Winchester company. I had little hope as this model of rifle has been out of production for almost two decades .... But

They informed me that they still had 14 of the stocks in their warehouse and they sent me one overnight AND they paid for the shipping! I received it at 0800 this morning ... It fit perfectly and requires no finishing ... It even came with a butt plate ... Assembled, tested for function and test fired ... Perfect results!

It's nice for a change to not be complaining about a company ...

Thank you Winchester Repeating Arms Company!

post-260006-0-58469500-1599832138_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...