1928AC Sold on Gunbroker for 17K

Fellow Collectors, I like to see high prices for sales so we can feel that our collections are going up in value..

Lately the market seems soft . A 1928AC just sold for 17K. This variation was sold to law enforcement and generally

are in a lot better condition than WW2 military guns and ,makes for a good shooter.

2O7Vp9.jpg
urHI5K.jpg
QotiNr.jpg
I apologize for the wrong pics yesterday
This is the 1928AC sold yesterday
They were 1928s that were assembled mid WW2 out of parts left over
as Auto ordnance transitioned to the M1 and M1a1.
These guns went to police departments
Edited by Grease Gunner

Is that S/N is familiar from a presentation last summer....? TD??

why the x stamped after the sn ?? just askin.

Most of the 1928A1 "AC" Thompsons made by AOC were sold to Police Departments had the US ground off and the 1 in A1 overstamped with a letter C. Most, but not all, had an X added to their serial numbers.

It is unknown if the guns were contract overruns or just left over when M1 production started. There have been a few documented with transfer forms dated 1944-45.

American Thunder III

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/inventory/detail.item.cfm?product_id=166

refinished/mismatched, but still a real thompson....for $17,000 its WH priced...cant beat it for a nice shooter

gun could be made correct other than the mismatch serial # on the lower by swapping a few parts

might be the best 1928 deal ive seen

wonder why Thompsons are dropping in value so quickly. a year ago this would have been a $22-23,000 gun.

the market is down for most FA, but the Thompson seems especially hard hit lately.

good buy Harris!

One possible explanation is the gun was not seen by a lot of Gunbroker customers. I say that because I don't recall seeing it, and I've got a number of "saved searches" related to Thompsons. Of course, the market does appear to be soft and with about a one year wait for a transfer that would certainly dampen demand. Another possibility is a topping stock market and some fear of an impending recession. With $22.5 trillion in national debt and no relief in sight, the party can't go on forever before the punch bowl gets taken away like it or not. Agree it appears to be a good deal.

The Auction Ended Late Morning 11:45 Eastern on a Wednesday, not the best time for the

most views. Many GB sellers end theirs on Sunday nights, some monday nites.

At $17,035 that may be a new low for a WW2 era gun.

What I find really interesting is that the market may be soft but Rock Island and Morphy's continues

to sell for high prices. And the last five West Hurley 1928s with buyer premium were costly.

I dont knock West Hurleys but they traditionally sell for less than WW2 AO and Savage production.

Seller has Excellent Reputation and I am thrilled to be able to get this Iconic gun at a fantastic price!!

Edited by Grease Gunner

There are always outliers in auctions, and to Haris' point, the auction end time was not well planned. While the market is a bit soft, this should not be seen as anything but an anomaly. One instance is not a trend.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Duffy's is about as 100% of a reliable/upfront seller as you could ever do business with...… Since it appears that the buyer is a member here, congrats on a smoking deal.

I think this illustrates how firearms not "pimped" by large auction houses, or those priced /promoted by a few "mega" dealers that could best be likened to modern day "J. Curtis Earls" are still out there......

Good explanation for the mismatch is Cleveland had several guns. 98% sure its lower is out there on another CPD marked gun.

Talking about prices and star they are doing-how many guys can afford $20-$40k these days? Or how many Thompsons can one person realistically purchase now either? We are starting to see a trend seen in the classic cars....brass era cars used to be huge money and then those who loved them got what they wanted and younger guys didnt like them as much. Look at M16, MP5, Uzi and MAC prices.....still going up and selling for those prices. How many $20k plus Thompson guns are selling now? Not many. That nice bring back matching M1 sold yesterday on Sturm for $18k. Has that been at $20 or $22 itd still be listed. Vintage market is getting soft for common guns aka standard Thompsons and it may only get worse for the next few years.

Interest in all the older stuff is slowly petering out. Prices are dropping on Wwii items too. Many younger kids are interested in the events but very very few are collectors..my two boys included. They like shooting my guns but have no desire to collect or buy. This trend will continue im sad to say with all older stuff. Soon mac 11's will be more than 08 Maxims etc because its a "newer era" gun . The other thing that most guys I know personally are worried about is a change in status of the guns. Many believe at some point we will end up like canada where you cant sell them. I tell people buy what you are interested in and keep in mind it may be worthless as far as value at some point depending on future occurances and laws. Sad and scary times for our hobby. Dan

I bought a 1928 a few weeks ago for $15,000 from a guy who was involved in an ugly divorce and needed to get rid of the gun fast. My SOT and I took the gun to the range Sunday and it fired well. Until I took my finger off the trigger and it just kept firing.

I bought a 1928 a few weeks ago for $15,000 from a guy who was involved in an ugly divorce and needed to get rid of the gun fast. My SOT and I took the gun to the range Sunday and it fired well. Until I took my finger off the trigger and it just kept firing.

Del Shannon had a song about that:

So did Bon Jovi:

Be well.

• Upvote 1

sear or sear spring sounds like its not getting up after you let your finger off the trigger.

A Terrific word of advice to all you full auto enthusiasts.

when you shoot something for the first time, go slow....like two rounds in the mag on semi

then put three or four in the mag and pull the trigger and get off it quickly and see

that it catches. Do a two round burst for starters

. And never pull the trigger on an open bolt gun as if you are shooting a target rifle

you will drag the sear against the bolt and cause wear.

• Upvote 1

No biggy. No real magic or surprise here. We are just in a down market with guns in general. That will have an affect on all guns, including machine guns. Great time to be a buyer! One vote, one shooting, or one election from now and everything will be skyrocketing all over again.

Lastly, buy cause you want it, not for an investment.

I think were just in a down market too

Im buying and enjoying bargains in a down market getting prices from 4-5 years ago

If you look at price graphs you see its not a straight line. Its lots of blah even with occasional surges

Plenty of young people want FA. They are just broke. In 20 years the millennials will have money to buy our collections. They are 10 years behind where they should be in life. But by age 40 they will finally have money

When Im at my local gun shop there are plenty of buyers in their 30s lining up. Lots of women too

Every video game is a shooter

Plenty of veterans who want FA

Plenty of future wars coming to get more veterans

Only thing missing is $$$

Edited by huggytree